Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading and Ammunition Limits

Reloading and Ammunition Limits

All,

Following on from the thread about loads for my Swede, I am planning a trip to Reloading Solutions this weekend to get cases, powder, primers and bullets. My FAC allows me to buy a max of 100 rounds for the Swede and keep a max of 150. I have a few factory rounds in the safe but other than that I am out of stock.

I plan to try two different bullets (Flytie has convinced me to try some plastic tipped Hornadays as well as the Nosler partitions that I was planning to use). If these come in 50's I should be ok. However, if they're only for sale in hundreds I might not be able to get both.

I am wondering what counts towards my 100 round purchase limit? I assume that bullets and cases don't count seperately, (i.e. 50 empty cases and 50 bullets doesn't count as 100 rounds). Alternatively, do bullets / cases only count when they are filled, primed and made up into rounds.

I'd be grateful for any advice on this.

Cheers,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Dovebob View Post
    All,

Following on from the thread about loads for my Swede, I am planning a trip to Reloading Solutions this weekend to get cases, powder, primers and bullets. My FAC allows me to buy a max of 100 rounds for the Swede and keep a max of 150. I have a few factory rounds in the safe but other than that I am out of stock.

I plan to try two different bullets (Flytie has convinced me to try some plastic tipped Hornadays as well as the Nosler partitions that I was planning to use). If these come in 50's I should be ok. However, if they're only for sale in hundreds I might not be able to get both.

I am wondering what counts towards my 100 round purchase limit? I assume that bullets and cases don't count seperately, (i.e. 50 empty cases and 50 bullets doesn't count as 100 rounds). Alternatively, do bullets / cases only count when they are filled, primed and made up into rounds.

I'd be grateful for any advice on this.

Cheers,

Bob
    Primed case will count as ammunition - so do not fit primer!
    'Expanding missiles' - AKA bullets, you should have separate entry for this, again not ammunition But has a separate agreed limit.
    Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    Primed case will count as ammunition - so do not fit primer!
    'Expanding missiles' - AKA bullets, you should have separate entry for this, again not ammunition But has a separate agreed limit.
    Hope this helps!
    I don't think that empty but primed cases will count as ammunition. The HO Guidance specifically mentions only 'assembled ammunition' as counting:

It will be noted
    that the definition of ammunition does
    not include ingredients and components
    of ammunition; it is only assembled
    ammunition that is controlled under the
    Act, not component parts. Empty cartridge
    cases, for example, are not “ammunition”.

Many force FLDs will not, or are unwilling to, list expanding missiles as separate from ammunition so they might not make another entry. It's a good reason to go back and request a decent increase in the overall holding to take account of expanding bullets for reloading.

Possess 250, acquire 200 are mentioned in the HO Guidance Ch 13.23 & 24 as reasonable quantities for CF rifles. Double that to 500/400 should be reasonable for a handloader.

For the OP: At the moment expanding missiles (bullets) will count towards your possess and acquire ammunition totals but cases will not.
    Last edited by Orion; 08-12-2010 at 15:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I don't think that empty but primed cases will count as ammunition. The HO Guidance specifically mentions only 'assembled ammunition' as counting:

It will be noted
    that the definition of ammunition does
    not include ingredients and components
    of ammunition; it is only assembled
    ammunition that is controlled under the
    Act, not component parts. Empty cartridge
    cases, for example, are not “ammunition”.

Many force FLDs will not, or are unwilling to, list expanding missiles as separate from ammunition so they might not make another entry. It's a good reason to go back and request a decent increase in the overall holding to take account of expanding bullets for reloading.

Possess 250, acquire 200 are mentioned in the HO Guidance Ch 13.23 & 24 as reasonable quantities for CF rifles. Double that to 500/400 should be reasonable for a handloader.

For the OP: At the moment expanding missiles (bullets) will count towards your possess and acquire ammunition totals but cases will not.
    I bow to the expert. Up to you if you feel you wish to risk it then... depends upon how you define 'assembled' then, personally I do not keep primed cases around.

Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    I bow to the expert. Up to you if you feel you wish to risk it then... depends upon how you define 'assembled' then, personally I do not keep primed cases around.
    Ha! No 'expert' here sir, but I did once ask the firearms dept manager if sized and primed cases would count towards my total. His reply was consistant with mine in that they did not as they were not completely assembled rounds. Of course we all know how consistant FLDs are thoughout the land so YMMV. If you don't want to interpret the HO Guidance in the same way then I'm sure the issuing FLD will oblige with an answer - maybe! Might be interesting to hear how others have been informed with this one?

Ditto for the separate listing of expanding bullets and 'complete' ammunition. The HO Guidance actually seems to point towards listing expanding bullets for handloaders in addition to ammunition, although again it's not 100% clear:

the shooterís firearm certificate or visitorís
    permit must be conditioned to include
    expanding ammunition and, for home
    loaders, the bullets for such ammunition.

Straightforward? Or maybe not?

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Ha! No 'expert' here sir, but I did once ask the firearms dept manager if sized and primed cases would count towards my total. His reply was consistant with mine in that they did not as they were not completely assembled rounds. Of course we all know how consistant FLDs are thoughout the land so YMMV. If you don't want to interpret the HO Guidance in the same way then I'm sure the issuing FLD will oblige with an answer - maybe! Might be interesting to hear how others have been informed with this one?

Ditto for the separate listing of expanding bullets and 'complete' ammunition. The HO Guidance actually seems to point towards listing expanding bullets for handloaders in addition to ammunition, although again it's not 100% clear:

the shooter’s firearm certificate or visitor’s
    permit must be conditioned to include
    expanding ammunition and, for home
    loaders, the bullets for such ammunition.

Straightforward? Or maybe not?
    Its all a little grey...Locals here said that primed case here would count, the guidance is a little ambiguous!
    Plod play their own game, no damn consistency..

Account Suspended
    Considering you are a reloader your limits seem very low.

I have limits of buy 200, carry 500.

I would invest in a variation and increase your quantities. When you let them know you reload they are usually alright about the increases. Mine were at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by robbobsam View Post
    Considering you are a reloader your limits seem very low.

I have limits of buy 200, carry 500.

I would invest in a variation and increase your quantities. When you let them know you reload they are usually alright about the increases. Mine were at any rate.
    where i live its a condition not a variation so no charge

I believe there is case law that establishes primed cartridge cases ARE considered as loaded ammunition.
    Beware.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Bob

This has been an interesting thread to follow.

I just have limits on how much ammo I can acquire/possess. I have a separate condition allowing me to possess/use expanding ammunition but no separate limits attached to it.

I always understood that expanding bullets (just bullets, not assembled rounds) still counted against the quantity you are allowed to possess, so it's been interesting to read the guidance.

Last time I went to see Aftab they didn't enter the bullets on my ticket but they did enter them on (if I recall correctly) three separate registers that they keep . I specifically queried them on why they didn't enter them on my ticket but they said they didn't have to. Other bullet sources in Wiltshire have always entered them on my ticket.

I have purchase 200, possess 400 for my .308 and purchase 100, possess 200 for my .243.

Nothing so consistent as inconsistency

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!