Stalking with the basics or all the accessories?

groach1234

Well I just thought I would take my rifle back to basics and see how it feels so took of the took the bipod, cheek-piece with 8 rounds and didn’t put the mod on and it felt good and so light so I weighed the bits I had removed and they came to 1.6kgs and when I weighed the rifle with scope and mounts and bolt and all that only came to 4kgs (admittedly on bathroom scales) so all these bits and bobs added almost 40% on to the rifle’s weight in what is debatably unnecessary. It has got me thinking how nice it would be to stalk with such a lightweight rifle and although I like to have a bipod this could be substituted for my binos being upturned. So what do you lot do? As light as possible are keep the little comforts like a Bipod and sound mod and so on? Do you travel light or with everything you could possibly need?

George

I did the same think a couple of weeks ago, 90% of my stalking is high seat but I fancied a walk an early morning walk about. Off came the mod and bi-pod. Shot a cracking fallow buck. But my ears missed the mod.....

In my first outings I used to take everything but the kitchen sink however, over time, I have lessened the equipment I take, or at least pack it in a smarter way!
All the equipment I take now I feel is essential to effective stalking, however, what I feel is essential and what others deem essential will be different I can almost guarantee!
Light is the way forward IMO.

I have recently swapped my scopes over, my 22-250 now has a S&B Flashdot fitted, originally a PM 2 was sat on top of it, I also swap my Moderator between the two rifles I use for stalking, so with th enew scope and no mod fitted, it feels a nice rifle, (T3 Lite), I was thinking of zeroing it with out the moderator and using it for Roe only as they are not a social animal, and may only have one or two with it (Dependants), which depending on the time of year, would not be shot, so as a Roe only rifle, it makes sense? I think?

I'll see what it shoots like unmoderated and give it some serious thought.

MY .270 however, will not be shot unmoderated, I did shoot it once and apart from the herrendoius muzzle flash, it wasn't for me, I'll not be taking that off, although, I like the calibre.

I have been thinking along the same lines of late............My Tikka T3 Hunter has been getting a bit lardy over the last few months, what with moderator, bipod, stock ammo holder etc.
I'm not that keen on high seat work and prefer to stalk so it would be a blessing to carry...... My ears wouldn't like the report of the 25-06 un -moderated but then I don't fire that many shots so could prob put up with it.

Maybe worth considering.

Have you been to the range and fired your new 'lite' rifle in all the positions you might use to stalk deer? It would be interesting to compare group sizes let alone fall of shot affected by different by a different set up....

I have to say accuracy wins over less to carry in my book.

Hmmm well it was only last year that I brought my full bore sound moderator so you might say I am bit behind the times ;). I got it really as my stalking is by the outing or day and after moving I see more places asking for mods to be used so have one now JIC. Have two Harris Bi-Pods and as yet have not shot a deer off one however I have used fence posts, my day pack and even trees as steady rests in the past as well as a single stick. Just the other day I brought one of those alloy extending bi-pod sticks used off e-bay for £15 so now have another option to my hazel stalking stick. My last Buck was shot off a set of these belonging to John of Yorkshire and these were priced right so now I have a set. They don't weigh much but then neither does my seasoned Hazel stick :D.

Rifles vary in weight of course the one used with John that time weighs under 8lbs, 7lbs 12 ozs ( 3.55kg) to be exact, sans ammo but ready to stalk. It's a 270 win chambered rifle BTW. At the other end of the scale I have a 6mm Rem chambered rifle with Bull barrel that weighs over 10lbs (4.5kgs). Of course the weight is felt more on hills and long stalks so the type of hunting will also influence the type of kit used IMHO.

A solution to the bi-pod weight is to do what i've done and get rid of your clunky old Harris and get a versa-pod. You can take it off and put it in your pocket when you want ie,when up a high seatetc. It is also quieter, easier to set and unfold , you can share it between all your rifles, pans better, ... shall I stop now(don't worry I don't work for the company!)

Prefer clean lines.
No mod - no bipod and I have a finnlite.
Though she wears an alloy mod now as its my estate rifle.
3% of my deer shot with clients are taken from a bipod hardly worth carrying one.

I purposely went for the T3 Lite(6lb) knowing that by the time it was dressed with scope(hawke4-14x50 Pro stalk), mod DB-80 mk 3 and my poor old 62 year old arms it would do the business, BRIT:- I bought one of the extending bi-pods but can't get on with it, gone back to a stick.

i have two setups one for stalking on foot, a rifle sticks bullets and a knife and thats pretty much all you need. but if im going to sit up i have a bag of tricks, cushion cloths bie pod moderator, hand warmers, sticks, seat, binos spotting scope midg net, it just goes on and on. but thats what you have to do sometimes to out wit the deer

As most have said before you do not need loads of gear even carried about yourself for insteance how often do you need more than about 5 rounds.one good knife a folder as spare of course safety cannot be compromised.But I have seen people carry riflewith heavy barrel, mod, bipod ,folding sticks,pockets full of rangefinders etc,etc think what do you intend to shoot on an outing 1perhaps 2beasts and where in woodland near houses then rifle sticks mod binos 6rounds knife,phone,first aid kit.
A Little thought carry the minimum not the kitchen sink.I have just bought a T3 light and ase mod shot for at target no special rest great now i con retire ny older tikka which weighs more.

Never had a mod on any rifle I have owned or bipod ,only thing I carry anywhere is binos ,5 rounds of ammo plus a downloaded one in case of putting down a wounded beast at close range , single pole Hazel stick ,fixed blade knife, waxed thread for the gralloch ,small pkt plasters thats always in my roesack in case of emgergency and my mobile phone. Thats it really never felt the need to carry that much gear you need a wheel barrow to get round with, I have tried gadgets like i think we all do but I always revert back to as least weight in the field as possible,
No heavy barrelled singing and dancing silenced jobbies for me thats why i have lost a small percentage of my hearing but there are other ways of protection from hearing loss other than a silencer but each to their own.

As most have said before you do not need loads of gear even carried about yourself for insteance how often do you need more than about 5 rounds..
Or even 1 round!!, but please please make sure you carry at least 10.
In the eventuality of something going wrong a magazine can be emptied quick.
Also (if you shoot foxes) a couple of rounds can be shot that would only leave you 3 and if culling does is not acceptable.
I carry a full magazine (5) a wallet with ten and a box in the car.
This was not a dig at you RDR I know the point you were making but it should be clarified.
As A.w.'s (we) would not be happy with anyone coming with 5 rounds. This happened last year and I took my own rifle as well (as back up just in case).
Its NO good being sorry.
regards John

I purposely went for the T3 Lite(6lb) knowing that by the time it was dressed with scope(hawke4-14x50 Pro stalk), mod DB-80 mk 3 and my poor old 62 year old arms it would do the business, BRIT:- I bought one of the extending bi-pods but can't get on with it, gone back to a stick.

Hmmmm callie I think the answer to using these extending sticks is to carry them ready for a standing shot and if you need to sit/squat then adjust them as you will probably have more time to do that than if a standing shot presents itself. I recently modified my original Hazel stick as it had a quite narrow "Y" at the top so I cut it off and spliced a small Roe antler to the top, came from a very small 6 pt from the look of it, have not used it stalkig as yet. I have another Hazel stick with a natural wider "Y" that has a waling stick rubber bottom on it. The original one I added a 6" length of black nylon rod to avoid the hazel getting wet in most use. I always carry a drink and a length of 3/8" sort braided rope, Deer Hunter pad to sit on, spare knife and some neoprene protective gloves in a day pack.

Now I notice your choice of scope and it surprised me as I brought a Hawke Nite Eye to go on the .22 L/R for rabbiting and it was ruddy awful so I e-bayed it. However I am seeing a few mention that they are using Hawke scoeps to wonder if I got the Friday quitting time one? Oh the old BSA (long action) weighs 6 1/4 lbs sans scope ;).

I'm a supporter of the 'light' and simple theory.

For Roe Stalking (on foot only, not this high-seat nonsense:stir: - yes, I know for deer management and culling it's much easier,,,just joking around):
a. .243 Sako 75 Hunter oiled wood stock with S&B 6x42 fixed, no mod, no bi-pod, leather sling
b. 5 rounds (never needed more than 1), if thinking I might be going for more than 1 deer, then will carry more.
c. Knife in belt
d. Bino's around neck
e. Roe Sack on back, containing: Wet Wipes, Midge Net, Head-Lamp, phone (with camera) (all in ziplock bag so don't get dirty when/if deer in Roe Sack).
f. Homebase twin-sticks, depending of where stalking, sometimes might ditch.

For Red stalking:
a. .243 as above, or tikka 6.5x55 with 4-12x56 zeiss, no mod, Stoney Point Bipod (removable), sling
b. 10 rounds
c. knife in belt
d. bino's around neck
e. Day rucksack (25L) containing: Survival bag, Flourescent light stick, compass and map, gps, waterproof matches, 25' paracord, 2ltr's water, foam sitting matt, water-proofs (depending on time of year, etc.), midge net/spray, wet wipes, head-lamp, survival kit (don't even ask me to start listing contents!), lunch :), water purification tablets, medical kit, phone with camera, spare battery, hat/gloves (when relevant), lip balm, electrical tape for covering muzzle, cleaning kit, and many more fun items. - please note, I go alone for these trips and head approx. 6-7 miles away from nearest road for my day trips, so don't want to get caught out in inclement weather, fog, etc.
f. Hazel walking stick

think that's about it:lol:

Not sure you really want a non (yet) stalkers input, but.....
For me it would have to be the minimum I could get away with, and a mod would not be part of the kit.
Just recently atarted to use a .22 hornet, no mod as it's not threaded, since getting it the X-bolt in .223 with a moderator and bipod has been used once, and only then because I knew it would spend the day being carried on a quad.
Trips now are so much more enjoyable, light rifle, swaro 6x42 and pair of very light kneeling height sticks, spare ammo in pocket, and range finder round neck.

Neil. :)

Last edited:
I'm a supporter of the 'light' and simple theory.

b. 5 rounds (never needed more than 1), if thinking I might be going for more than 1 deer, then will carry more.
:

You are a very confident and not very strong stalker as the weight saving of not carrying 10 rounds must be a real god send.
You say 5 rounds will be enough for 1 deer. I agree wholeheartedly on 99.9% of the time... What happens if/when it does go wrong??
Or you shoot your beast and need a shot or two to finish it off and then on your way back you see a deer which is swinging a leg from a collision. It is moving through the tree line and stumbling. You must use every effort to kill it and take a shot as it is fleeing and may miss or clip it.
These things NEVER happen when you have your ammo wallet but when you just have 5 rounds are guaranteed to sooner or later.
But then been such a great shot and fieldsman you will still have 2 rounds from your 5 left.
Or you drop your gun and want to check the sights????
The bulk and weight of a bullet pouch is nothing what are you saving??
I always carry a mag +10 thats 15 and nearly always bring 14 and an empty case home but can takle any eventuallity.

Last edited:
binos
rifle generally without mod
knife
2m of 1" web for drag rope
telescope if on hill
at least 15 rounds + box in vehicle
some blue roll for wiping glasses and a***
mobile[got a good torch on it]

anything else is just bulk, don't see the need to carry any form of liquid in Scotland. other than above 40% proof.

Yorkshireroe
you are quite right John I should have qualified my 5 rounds with 5 on your person I always have extra in transport especially when I am away from home.went to help with a red cull last week (too much Snow)I then carry more in the argo.Chap I stalk with in Scotland once had client arrive from USA carring ony three rounds expecting to be allowed on the hill without proving zero having travelled over the previous day!!

Last edited:
Back