Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gunfire sensors

gunfire sensors

On news this morning, Birmingham police deploy gunfire sound sensors, covering a few square miles of known trouble spots,......... Might this run into problems during Chinese new year / November 5th ????................ expansion of this, if found useful, may find urban fox control issues?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Finn, according to a friend who is a solicitor in Brum, the amount of gun related incidents and shootings is much higher than the released figures. I think anything that lets the police concentrate on the gang related shootings must be a good thing, although I am sure someone with a good reason for popping foxes will have a visit from the armed response units.

They are using these sensors in Iraq and Afghanistan to good effect, so hopefully the Johnson crew and the Burger Bar boys will reap the benefit of a visit from the ARU.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

The Press Association: Gunshot sensors installed in city

one of the links, this would be great for known poaching areas.
    i will try and find out how it works

frank

additional link

GunShotLocating Ltd. - Gun Shot Locating Devices. Shooting, Violence, Cities, Crime Prevention
    Last edited by centralbeltstalker; 09-12-2010 at 07:51. Reason: new link

Regular Poster
    Frank , see if thay work with moderated firearms, That would be a real benifit in anti poaching work!

Barry

barry,

i will call them later today and ask about the effectiveness of the equipment etc

will post what they say.

frank

as you can see i am not working due to the white stuff so nothing better to do. ha ha

i dont think these sensors work with moderators or if the shot was indoors.

My understanding from an interview this morning is they wont pick up a moderated gunshot, but they can tell the difference between gunshot and firework.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakaras View Post
    My understanding from an interview this morning is they wont pick up a moderated gunshot, but they can tell the difference between gunshot and firework.
    I read recently that a good moderator can reduce a .308win report to that of an unmoderated.22lr, so would that mean it can not pick up a subsonic .22lr round??

My understanding is that one of the benefits of this system is that it can identify and plot where people "practice" with their illegally held firearms. This is useful to the police when trying to catch such people as it is often on "home turf", as opposed to when the firearms are used against other people, which is often a long way from where they are kept.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovebob View Post
    My understanding is that one of the benefits of this system is that it can identify and plot where people "practice" with their illegally held firearms. This is useful to the police when trying to catch such people as it is often on "home turf", as opposed to when the firearms are used against other people, which is often a long way from where they are kept.

Hmm this is obviously fantasy as I recall all handguns being banned to obviously there are none to be shooting with .