Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: last syndicate day on my shoot.

last syndicate day on my shoot.

Tomorrow is the last official syndicate day.( i have put a short day on for them on christmas eve).
    The snow will make it very difficult not only to drive the birds but also to get around.
    Some of my game strips are under snow, others are gone, the geese, hares, rabbits and deer all having a go.
    So I am going to try and blank the big drives into the woods and then drive them, it will be an interesting day if nothing else.
    I have repegged 3 drives this afternoon and who knows a change of tatics might pay off.
    The one thing which no keeper can change is the weather.

Sounds like fun, good luck!! I had a day on a friends shoot last week, its been a while since ive been on a driven/walked up shoot but loved every minute and shot 8 Pheasant, and 2 ducks with one shot (but got a bit too excited and missed with the 2nd shot!!) which was great infront of a crowd!! Freezer is now full for the winter

Wat is a "syndicate day"?

Regards,
    Paul

8 pheasants and 2 ducks with one shot!!what were you using?a punt gun!!!!lol

Quote Originally Posted by gitano View Post

Regards,
    Paul
    when a few people get together to share a shoot, in theory they all put in the same amount of work and money, then a few days a year they turn up to have a shoot day. usually pheasant, but could be partridge, duck etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gitano View Post

Regards,
    Paul
    actually its where you stand in a field getting bored, then a low bird flys past which you leave for the bloke on the next peg to shoot at.

Quote Originally Posted by bauldy bob View Post
    8 pheasants and 2 ducks with one shot!!what were you using?a punt gun!!!!lol
    I knew someone would come out with that !!! Its in the punctuation i.e the comma "and shot 8 Pheasant, and 2 ducks with one shot"

I'd also add to Bob/(Mike)'s explanation that often shoots run by a syndicate do "sold days" where the day's shooting is sold to an outside group so often the distinction is made between a 'syndicate day' and a 'sold day'.

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    actually its where you stand in a field getting bored, then a low bird flys past which you leave for the bloke on the next peg to shoot at.
    Time to pack it in maybe? I'm sure I'm not the only one chucking time and money into a shoot with leaky boundaries and questionable returns? We get it... it's about getting out amongst it with good company and enjoying the day.

Alex

I understand that a "peg" is a shooting station. I assume that the term originated from some physical 'peg' being put in the ground to designate one's proper location in the 'line', but not wanting to trust an assumption and interested in learning about your customs, is there a physical 'peg' in the ground locating where one is to stand for driven birds?

Regards,
    Paul