Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Initial running in, zeroing and test results with new rifle.

Initial running in, zeroing and test results with new rifle.

Just thought I’d post my rather unscientific findings whilst running in and initial zeroing of my new Tikka T3 Lite .243 I picked up a few weeks ago.

I elected to go by the “Wipe-Out” method for running in the barrel.

The method can be found here near the bottom of the page:

HPS Target Rifles Ltd: Previous News!

Now, I understand there are a many different opinions regarding the running in a barrel, some for , some against, (a simple search on the forum will back this up) but I researched a good bit on here and decided the Wipeout method suited me fine.

So after the initial cleaning of the barrel it was time to see what/where it would be shooting.

I picked up a box of Remmington 90 Grn PSP’s and Federal Power Shock Classic 90grn’s just to get me going & see if there was any discernable difference between the two factory rounds.

My dealer sighted in the scope roughly when I purchased the rifled so hopefully it’d be on paper at least

Anyway, got to my permission and set up a target approx 110yds away.

First shot through barrel was the Rem PSP without the mod and it was about 2” left & 2” low at approximately 110yds without the mod. So it was at least in the ballpark

I then tried the Moderator (Third Eye Spartan Mod)

It was shooting about 4.5” low with the Rem 90grn.

With the Federal it was 4.5” low and about 1” to the right.

1st shot :

It was time up for me but I left happy in the knowledge it all worked ok and gave the barrel two sessions of Wipeout bore foam that night.

I had some free time this week went back out to run some more rounds through and generally have a play and see about trying an initial zeroing in.

I set up 2 targets side by side at approx 110yds

( bad weather & royal mail still not here with my Rangefinder yet!!)

Not as cold as last week but a bit more wind.

Anyway,
    I decided to fire my Remmington rounds to the left target and the Federal’s to the right hand side target to give me a comparison on the differing rounds.

Moderator was now on for all the below shots

I fired off a set of 4 rounds by using

1 x Remmi @ Left target,

followed by 1 Federal @ Right target

This sequence continued for the rest of my testing/arsing about.

• First 2 x Remmingtons were within an inch grouping but approx 2.5” low - No adjustment on the Scope
    • First 2 x Feds were over 1” apart and max 3” low - No adjustment on the scope

I gave the barrel a Wipeout when cooled as per instructions and found almost no fouling so set about putting another string of shots out.

I tried a 3rd Shot without any scope adjustment to see if cleaning made any change:

• 3rd Remmi was about 1.5” low
    • 3rd Fed was bob on height wise but about 0.75” to the left

I adjusted the Swaro 8x50 6 clicks higher (1 click being 0.36” @ 100yds)

• 4th Remmington was 1” low, ¼” left
    • 4th Federal was way off, I knew I’d pulled the shot but again, it’s all practise!!

• 5th Remmington was about1” & ¼” higher than shot 4
    • 5th Federal was 1” Low and 1” left

Remmington Target :

Federal Target:

I was now short of time but I will get out next week and continue zeroing in until it’s about 1” high at 100yds.

At least I know it’s going in the right direction and I’ll continue with the Wipeout shooting/cleaning until these 2 boxes are finished and take it from there.

I appreciate it’s a bit of a mickey mouse field type test as there are many varying factors like temperature, wind speed, and most importantly not forgetting me behind the trigger

However, I found it all quite useful doing it “real world” with Bipod and sitting and prone as opposed to using solid rests and bench so hopefully practise will make near perfect…

Im now looking forward to finalising my zeroing in and getting to know the rifle much more before I’m happy to head out for my intended quarry. Im not wanting to rush.

Now, final request.........please don’t ban me for being boring, once the Salmon fishing season starts I promise I’ll have less time on my hands to post nonsense!!!

Cheers
    Rigboot

Looks like your having fun Rigboot! Without criticising, i would be inclined to be a little more methodical when trying out the new rifle with different ammo. Its only my preference but theres nothing wrong using sand bags at this stage with a new rifle, after all, your looking to see which brand of ammo is more accurate, so you need to remove as many other variables as possible.. To that end, i wouldnt be using different types of ammo at this early stage as the results are not always clear.

With a new gun, i would be using one type of ammo for 'running in' and also doing it on bench rest style, reason being is that i want to see my new rifles accuracy. This way in future groups, you can immediately tell if thats the best your going to get or whether the shooter needs to practise more.

Keep posting the pics, theyre good to see!

ATB, FF

Don’t worry about criticism FF, I’m all ears.

Every day is a school day in my book.

The reason I didn’t use a bench type/sandbag etc approach to begin with was more to do with me simply wanting to get an initial feel for the gun in a stalking scenario and to shoot it in a style I will use frequently as opposed to finding out how accurate it would be from the off.

However, I do fully appreciate the need for maybe a more methodical approach once the barrel is run in to see just how accurate I can get it, and of course to see what ammo it prefers etc.

With respect to the 2 kinds of round, these were bought simply to run through and run in the barrel but I thought might be a good idea to record the data too?

Once I’ve finished the rough running in & familiarity stage I will then start in earnest to gather decent accuracy data with one particular manufacturer and compare ammo from sand bags etc to, like you mentioned, reduce as many variables as possible.

Thanks for your input.much appreciated

Rb

2 different types of ammunition at this stage MAY give some useful information but likely to be difficult to tell whether its the round or the rifle. It doesnt really matter i suppose if your going to do a bit of research once your running in is complete. The other thing, which i dont suppose matters is i would tend to shoot a 3 or 5 shot batch of one ammo opposed to doing one shot with one, then the other. Do you reload or are planning on starting?

On another note, which rivers do you fish for salmon on?

ATB,

Ben

rigboot

I like the attached targets as they give 5 similar aiming points. If you want the Excel version PM me an e-Mail address.

Good luck JCS.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    2 different types of ammunition at this stage MAY give some useful information but likely to be difficult to tell whether its the round or the rifle. It doesnt really matter i suppose if your going to do a bit of research once your running in is complete. The other thing, which i dont suppose matters is i would tend to shoot a 3 or 5 shot batch of one ammo opposed to doing one shot with one, then the other. Do you reload or are planning on starting?

On another note, which rivers do you fish for salmon on?

ATB,

Ben
    FF,

I'll try 3 shot groupings next time out, makes perfect sense to me now i've put a few preliminary rounds down the barrel

As for reloading, well it's something that certainly interests me, got a copy of "the ABC's" recently to understand the methods and tooling required but it's a long way down the line just now, would need to rearrange the fly tying bench first to make some room
    I'll PM you re: fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    rigboot

I like the attached targets as they give 5 similar aiming points. If you want the Excel version PM me an e-Mail address.

Good luck JCS.

Nice one JCS,

I'll get a few of these printed off and see how I get on.

Once again , cheers Lads

Rb

I'll be interested to see the final results on this one.... a T3 in .243 will be my next purchase once Xmas is out the way
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

hi,

from what i read you say you where firing one round on left target (make 1) then next round on target right (make 2)
    if that is true i would say you are wasting your time.
    Not attempting to say i know more than anyone but you cant really fire make 1 followed by make 2 and expect any kind of consistancy.
    If i read this wrong sorry.
    Also going on my own experience the rifle will choose its own rounds.
    If it where I doing as you are i would take each box and drop five four bullet groups into the target Jc sent you
    clean after each group and do the same into the second target with box two.
    i would then look at the results and from there make a decision on which round was better at that point.
    after 200 rounds i would do the same with other ammo.
    As the rifle is fired it will react differently in time, remember your wearing the barrel out from the inside .

f.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    rigboot

Good luck JCS.
    JCS,

those targets are the dogs danglies! I printed a few out and have been using them the last few days. Very good! Thanks.

I'm inclined to agree with Centralbeltstalker, some rifles do not take kindly to alternating ammo. Better perhaps to shoot a group with one brand then shoot another after cleaning. I can't propose a reason but the experience of many shooters is that mixing dosn't work, perhaps due to differing fouling rates or metal composition of the fouling. It is often the case that when the barrel acclimatises to one brand the groups tighten a little and changes take a while to settle in.