Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: primers

primers

Hi guys,just bought some CCI primers.My usuall ones are CCI large rifle 200 and i have mistakenly bought Magnum 250 large rifle primers.I will be using them in my 243 and 30-06 can anyone see a potential problem?
    Tusker

Yes !
    They could increase your breech pressure so it would be advisable to start at the MINIMUM loading and work up again.

HWH.

Yes, stag1933 has hit the nail on the head. It's a significant component change and the load needs to be worked up again. I was given 100 of these a while ago. I passed them on to someone who could use them.

Rgds JCS

Mark, I use them all the time. My favourite ones are Federal Magnums and have been told, and have no reason to disbelieve, that they are as good as an extra grain of powder so no real danger as long as you are aware.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Mark, I use them all the time. My favourite ones are Federal Magnums and have been told, and have no reason to disbelieve, that they are as good as an extra grain of powder so no real danger as long as you are aware.
    Dangerous words !
    If he is at the top end of the load now he could be in deep fertiliser.
    Common sense says start again and work up.

HWH.

i would just back off a couple of grains then work back up.

If you run your handloads that are Large Rifle-primed 'hot', and you add a 'magnum' primer, you might blow a primer pocket. Any time you run your 'regular' handloads on the 'hot' side, ANY change in component warrants re-establishment of the "norm". If on the other hand, your regular Large Rifle-primed loads are 'mild', substituting a 'magnum' primer won't cause pressure problems, BUT, it WILL change how your cartridges shoot, and most likely the point of impact.

If you change the grade of primer you use, you won't kill or maim anyone and you won't ruin your rifle, but... It would be silly to be a handloader and change components willy-nilly and then expect "things" to remain the same.

Regards,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    Dangerous words ! If he is at the top end of the load now he could be in deep fertiliser.
    Common sense says start again and work up.HWH.
    As already stated, a magnum primer can be classed as an extra grain of powder so no need to start all over again, just back off a grain or two and see how it performs.
    The other thing all reloaders I know are aware of when reading charges used by others is that it may not be the same in the rifle used by the person reading it, so common sense is needed.
    All reloaders I know have common sense and use it when reloading anyway.

Hay guys,thanks alot for your input,sounds like i,ll just have to re zero when i start my next batch,my loads are not hot anyway but i will start on the start load.Tusker

Quote Originally Posted by jay 22 View Post
    i would just back off a couple of grains then work back up.
    Now there's a chap that read my post, understood it, and used common sense.