Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts.

Your thoughts.

We all agree that it is prudent to buy the best riflescope that we can afford. After reading numerous posts on this subject it is generallly agreed European glass is the best. I have a Leupold vx111 long range varmint,so not the best glass but not too shoddy.What are your thoughts on buying the best glass for your rifle and then looking through it with a pair of spec savers varifocals on and how much does this detract from the overall quality of image.How many of us wear glasses for shooting?? Your thoughts.

There's much less glass in contact lenses so imagine it like this. The more glass the light has to travels through the less 'bright' the image you see will be. There's always corrective laser surgery that is amazing in giving people back your top end eye sight.

Hi Daverl.I too dont have a problem shooting . My question was paying for top notch glass and then putting an extra piece of lower quality glass between your eye and the scope,cheers High seat.

I find varifocals a PITA with Binos and scopes as the distance viewing part of the lens is actually small. So I have had a normal single vison pair made up for shooting with.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    There's much less glass in contact lenses so imagine it like this. The more glass the light has to travels through the less 'bright' the image you see will be. There's always corrective laser surgery that is amazing in giving people back your top end eye sight.
    High Paul ,I thought the larger the glass the more light it let through + good quality. Isnt that why people go for larger objective scopes like 50 or 60 mm. High seat.

One never regrets buying quality; and one should buy the best one can afford.

This could be looked at in a systemic way; the shot is only as good as the quality of the bullet, the mod if you use one, the condition of the barrel bore, the age of the cartridge, the clarity of the target picture, the smoothness of the trigger sear, fit of the rifle and by no means least the capability and application of fire by the shooter.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Quote Originally Posted by High seat View Post
    High Paul ,I thought the larger the glass the more light it let through + good quality. Isnt that why people go for larger objective scopes like 50 or 60 mm. High seat.
    Only up to the max exit pupil; it's probably beyond me to explain it coherently but I think the max exit pupil the human eye can use is 7-8mm when you're young, 5mm when you're older. Any more than your eye can cope with is a bit pointless, any less and your not helping yourself.

You get the exit pupil by dividing the obj lense diameter by the magnificiation e.g. an 8x56mm scope is 7mm, 10x56 = 5.6mm etc

So the larger the objective the higher the power it can support and still provide a high exit pupil.

see more stuff on it here.

High seat

I wear varifocals. I would prefer not to wear specs. As finance has permitted I have over the years moved to Swarovski scopes and binoculars. I think my spying and shooting have both improved with these excellent optics. I wish I had bought the EL 8.5 x 42 binocs years ago.

Rgds JCS

Nothing wrong with Leupold VxIII got two on my rifles, both 4.5 x 14 x 50, worn glasses for 50 years but now use contact lenses {daily ones} once a week or when I shoot or stalk, best thing I have ever done, no more misted or wet glasses on a shooting day or on the hill. Don't be afraid to name your equipments value or make, money doesn't make a man or a stalker, buy the best that you can afford and be proud of it, you earned it, my most accurate and my most cherished rifle is a BSA Hunter in 7x57 which cost 250 and has a Burris 3x9x40 on it, will out shoot my Sauer 270 or my Procter stocked 243, will never sell it. deerwarden