My bedlington x whippet saves the day

liongeorge

I shot a roe doe last weekend in a misty river valley and although only 50yds away it was dusky and the deer just vanished into the fog. I tried to no avail to find the beast but it had dissappeared into knee high weeds and grass I was running out of light rapidly and the beast could have been 6ft away and I wouldn't have seen it.
There was nothing for it but to go and get my ferreting companion who has a damn good nose on her (finds pheasants better than most spaniels I know, and rabbits she's superb). She's also got alot of brains and I've been training her a little to deer during the last year, just taking her to shot site and letting her find deer.
Anyway pretty much dark now , took her to about where deer was shot and gave her her head and of she went but kept going following the tracks of the buck that was with my doe so brought her back and let her come from down wind abit further and bingo straight to it. miles from where I'd thought it would be. Completely dark now me very relieved as i would have had to come back with my son and lamp or back in the morning.
Anyway after that I think I'll try some more formal training rather than my previous amateur efforts. Any recomendations on good books that cover the essentials?

George

Back