Thread: The Thaw

The Thaw

First time in over 2 weeks it has got above freezing in the Borders. Up to a balmy 3.

The snow has started to move and any day now we will be told it is because of Global Warming.

Road tax will go up again on 4x4's and it will be quickly forgotten that without these vehicles some employees would never have made it to their work over the last 2 weeks in my neck of the woods...

Yours,

Victor Meldrew

The snow is going fast here (although we never had as much as you but we did have a foot when it was fresh) It hit a tropical 6 degrees here today but it was strange as I was out and about in the car and there was a 5 degree difference in less than 10 miles between two places i stopped.

George

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Road tax will go up again on 4x4's and it will be quickly forgotten that without these vehicles some employees would never have made it to their work over the last 2 weeks in my neck of the woods...
    It will only be global warming tax this week.... next week when it freezes again it will be 'climate change tax'.

Alex

only trouble with the thaw you come out the fields 4" taller than you went in, still, can't have it both ways.

We have had two days and nights of the thaw and the snow has gone, well just little dots of it here and there. Mind you I think there is now enough water in the Kyle to float an aircraft carrier.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

We had a 20deg shift over three days, -14 on Tuesday evening, +6 last night. Glad to see the back of it for now.

All sorts of 4x4's couldn't get up the hill from our minor road onto the main road. Only my Disco was untroubled by the whole thing. My neighbour's X5 was completely useless.

We had guys in 4x4's and farmer's on tractor taking midwifes to work and driving the home help ladies around the rural areas.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Perhaps all 4X4's are not well sited on their wheels for optimum grip - OR the tyres are not of the right type. I've heard various arguments within 4X4 owner groups about what's best.

Possibly the best vehicles I ever had for road holding was a series of Subaru pickups - first was a 1600, then two 1800's after that. My only gripe was the length of the nose of the vehicle which would ground much quicker than most, but the engine weight was over the wheels.

Maybe it would be a fairer deal if the use of the 4X4 vehicle had to be DEMONSTRATED by the owner. There's plenty of vanity 4X4's out there and personally I don't give a hoot about them being charged the earth, but a person who works on the land and needs that vehicle should not be penalised.
    Last edited by ecoman; 15-12-2010 at 19:57. Reason: bad keying
    Opinions often differ according to unknown circumstances.

THe thaws not on for long, some more wintry conditions on their way this weekend :O