Bino views

Daz2381

Hi All,

I am in the market for some bino's and have seen a nice pair of Leopold Mesa 10x50 Porro Prism Binoculars. The question I am asking would this x10 mag be too much as I have read that alot of folk use x8.

Thanks

Daz

I do have a pair of 10x bins that are great to use in open country, I think 10x is the highest magnification for general use, anything higher would need support. I much prefer 7x42 as an all round pair of bins, and if I had to carry a pair all day every day I might well go for 8x32. These are my personal preferences only!

I know 8x56 are great for low light, and one famous "Ninja" stalker uses them to great effect!!

ft

Been using 10x50 in the open hills for Reds, but overkill for general Roe, etc.

Just got a pair of Minox 8x42 for my birthday yesterday - can't wait to try them out :D think it's a good mag for my stalking purposes (75% Roe, 25% Hill Reds).

Depends upon your steadiness of hand - free-standing. Tens can be very useful - with good quality lenses, but with the not-so-good makes they can exaggerate any problems such as a bit of shake - heartbeat and pulse after climbing or fast walking, and if you use them a lot during the day they might 'pull' the eyes a bit.

My preference is 8 X 42 for general work and they don't tend to give shake problems, but probably the most eye-kindly are sevens. If your work is in woodlands and you can hump a larger glass about, maybe sevens with a large objective lens for light-gathering - but a lot does depend upon the quality.

As flytie says - personal preferences only.

Incidentally - can any of you optic-wise fellows tell me why you can look down a 6X42 'scope on your rifle and spot your shots at 100 yards, but not see the holes very well with an eight power bino of the same quality glass ?

I've used a 25 power three draw telescope all of my stalking life in the hills; first a Ross and then a Greys, and with a few years practise you can use them pretty well semi-freehand with a walking stick and spot shots on paper, but that's quite a difference in power.

Daz, personally I would't go for any higher mag than 8x as beyond that the field of view can seem to be a problem and shake emphasised, especially at closer ranges. I have just posted a thread about binos on a shoestring if you are interested, having had some good results with a very cheap pair I bought. If I had my chance again I would probably opt for 7x42's as seem good for all round use. Personal preference only.

Best Regards
Timney

10x is great in the wide open spaces but shocking when it's up close and personal. '7x is perfection' someone once said who had shot a lot more deer that me.

Just to add to what has been said already I have 3 pairs of binoculars 7x 8x 10x if i had to keep just one the 7x gets the vote best all rounder!!!!!!good luck

Back