Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: 55 - 58 grain - why?

  1. #1

    55 - 58 grain - why?

    Just curious, given the .243 tends to perform best with 75-95 grain bullets depending on twist and barrel length, why would you pick say the Vmax 55g, when they cost about the same as the heavier variants and you will have better knock down power, wind bending ability, and more stability?

  2. #2
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Just curious, given the .243 tends to perform best with 75-95 grain bullets depending on twist and barrel length, why would you pick say the Vmax 55g, when they cost about the same as the heavier variants and you will have better knock down power, wind bending ability, and more stability?
    I have thought the same thing myself.

    You forgot to mention the main drawbacks though with the lighter bullets, more powder used and greater barrel wear.

    I will be sticking with the 80grain Bergers and the 87grain V-Max.

  3. #3
    They shoot flatter

    Dave

  4. #4
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    267
    Up to 200yds my 87 grain V-Max drops 1" more than the 55grain V-Max.

    Does that really matter at 200yds for hunting foxes, hares and rabbits ???

    I still prefer the heavier bullets, they wear the barrel less, perform against the wind better, use less powder and give more punch to target.

    On balance for me the slightly heavier slower bullet gets the vote.

  5. #5
    Or could it be that some folks are impressed by it's claimed velocity which is a claimed 3750 fps according the Hornady's web site for the 58 Grn V-Max Moly coated bullet. The 75 GR HP bullet only manages 3400 fps .


    An interesting point for those who have to zero on militrary certified ranges is that both these loads are illegal as the exceed the range velocities which is usually stipulated as the service velocity of the 5.56mm round and that's 3275 fps if I recall correctly. More UK stupidity at work .

  6. #6
    If I wanted a 55grn bullet to be pushing 4000fps I think I would be using a .22-250

    Mind, I'm also one of those folk who cannot understand using a centre-fire .22 and put 70grn bullets through that either. Again if I wanted to use that weight of bullet I would move up to a 6mm. I'm happy in my own wee world...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    If I wanted a 55grn bullet to be pushing 4000fps I think I would be using a .22-250

    Mind, I'm also one of those folk who cannot understand using a centre-fire .22 and put 70grn bullets through that either. Again if I wanted to use that weight of bullet I would move up to a 6mm. I'm happy in my own wee world...
    I agree. JC

  8. #8
    i can think of 3900 reasons why my .243 likes 55gn ballistic tips.

    55gn at 4000 out of 22-250 - are you sure the learned members of this site told me 3850 was way too fast/hot.

  9. #9
    JC,
    Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    They shoot flatter

    Dave
    Probably because we can, I have popped a few 7mm 100 grain down the tube at some speed, (3,400 fps), I'm not advocating that these figures should become the norm, but it's good to explore what is & isn't possible
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    i can think of 3900 reasons why my .243 likes 55gn ballistic tips.

    55gn at 4000 out of 22-250 - are you sure the learned members of this site told me 3850 was way too fast/hot.
    I think your gunsmith will like that heat as well regularly going down your barrel...

    I did say 'pushing' 4000fps. Hornady manual offers 3700fps for a 55grn .22-250

    I think when we get to the low weight for calibre bullets in the 6mm they are not gaining a great deal when compared to the smaller calibre rounds. In fact are the centre fire .22 55grn or 60grn bullets not marginally (and I'm are splitting hairs) better ballistic wise?

    Gary, just out of interest, what twist is in your .243 barrel? I ask because when mine was built I opted for a 1 in 8 twist as I had no desire to shoot anything lighter than 70grn and in fact have now settled on 85grn HPBT Sierra Gamekings which are just superb in my rifle. If yours performs very well with 55grns is the twist rate such that it would struggle to stabilise bullets around 100grns?

Similar Threads

  1. 6.5 x 55 advice.
    By Hillbilly in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 14-11-2011, 20:24
  2. 6.5 x 55 Boar
    By chickenman in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 09:48
  3. 6.5 x 55 Sika
    By chickenman in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 20-08-2010, 16:37
  4. 6.5 x 55 brass
    By ksb in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 10:28
  5. 6.5 x 55 - help
    By blackie in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 19:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •