Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Binos on a shoestring

Binos on a shoestring

For my first post I would like to share with everyone what a good deal I had with some binos recently.

A year or so ago I bought my father-in-law a cheap set of 8x42 binoculars from ebay for his Christmas box for farm work (to be thrown around in his tractor). After arriving in the post I could not believe how good they were for the money ..... I paid 29.99 for them plus 7 post.

Their name, wait for it, is Jeff & Jenny !! Not the most inspiring name. I appreciate some of you will be creased on the floor laughing, but I believe these binoculars have amazing clarity for the money. In fact two other shooting friends have bought a set of these on recommendation and are not disappointed.

I bought a set for myself and have tested these in the rain, fog and cold. Low light is very good at both ends of the day.

They have Bak-4 Prisms, twist eyecups, extended eye relief and rubber armoured. They can fog up like the best of them after a sweaty hike on a warm or a cold day, but generally they are excellent value for money. They are still on sale on ebay I believe, but may have gone up in price to 49.99 since I bought them. (I still think worth the money). Their RRP is apparently 189 although I am not sure how genuine that really is.

Anyone that is looking for a cheap set that they are not afraid to drag through scrub, mud, and general crud will not be disappointed. PS I am not on commission for selling these in case anyone is wondering !!!!!

Timney

I have had a pair in the door pocket of my car for the last 24months. They really are superb for the money. They are better to look through than my fathers opticron he paid 200 for. Rich

hi could you give me a link to the seller please as i need a set of bins

Hi Warren

Try this link, actually 10 cheaper than I thought they were.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8x42-Water-Fog...item20b5b4119e

Timney

Forgot to say, the colour isn't actually as bluey green as it looks in the picture, it is a darker green than it looks. Also the picture makes the focus and eyecups look purpley, but they are actually black on mine also. Hope this helps?

Timney, what an interesting find! Having been looking at bins just lately I had noticed BAK-4 Prisms being used on lots of them, but I have never seen them at this price! Although i do think it is the coatings you often pay for, with the lens's being very similar.

Here is a link to explain about BAK-4 's; http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com...binoculars.php

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I was talking to the nice fella who owns Lamberts of Lancaster some time ago, and telling him about some binoculars which I had been looking into at the time. (I think they were Opticrons.) He told me that if I couldn't lay my hands on any, binocular x and binocular y were the same model in a different casing, but effectively the same thing from the same factory, and identical innards. It really made me realise that at a certain price point, the same factory will be churning out a product to different manufacturers under different brand names. I seem to remember there was a post about it on here some time ago which detailed which factories produced which brands (or who owned who) and it made interesting reading. So it may well be that these are rebadged and sold elsewhere for a good bit more under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck1 View Post
    I was talking to the nice fella who owns Lamberts of Lancaster some time ago, and telling him about some binoculars which I had been looking into at the time. (I think they were Opticrons.) He told me that if I couldn't lay my hands on any, binocular x and binocular y were the same model in a different casing, but effectively the same thing from the same factory, and identical innards. It really made me realise that at a certain price point, the same factory will be churning out a product to different manufacturers under different brand names. I seem to remember there was a post about it on here some time ago which detailed which factories produced which brands (or who owned who) and it made interesting reading. So it may well be that these are rebadged and sold elsewhere for a good bit more under a different name.
    This backs up what you have said tuck1, the similarity of the J&J binos with these Burris binos is uncanny ....

http://www.burrisoptics.com/landmarkbino.html

Timney

J&J and Nikula are the same glasses not bad for under 30 the Nikula retail at just over 180

Look like Burris to me too, very under rated & superb !