Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mod on/ off point of impact change?

Mod on/ off point of impact change?

Hello all,

Just curious about the shift in 'zero' when the mod comes off. A lot of people have mentioned it previously but I wonder if anyone on here has a Sako 85 s/s with ASE northstar who has any information for comparison with my own?

Thanks,

DC

Hi DC, I don't have a Sako 85 but shoot a remmy 700 sps s/s .308 with Northstar mod, and also X-Bolt .243 with Northstar mod. I have not noticed a change in zero at all when removing and replacing the mod if this is what you mean?. Always back on target, it has tightened my groups up well.

There is quite a considerable difference in zero if you fire it without the mod I presume due to the extra weight applied to the end of the barrel. When I first zeroed it after fitting the mod it was shooting very, very low at 100 yds, much more than I thought it would have done.

Timney

One of my rifles is no more than 1 inch away from mod on to mod off the other is 140mm elevation and 80mm of Azimath.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    One of my rifles is no more than 1 inch away from mod on to mod off the other is 140mm elevation and 80mm of Azimath.

Dave
    Dave,

I got the first part of that message and then you went a bit technical on me!

I see no real change out to 100 yds and was curious if it was common with the 85's.

Interesting Timney that it shot very very low. Is it quite a lightweight barrell on the Remmy?

Thanks,

DC

the mathematical engineering term is azimuth.

most free floating barrels I have shot with or without will shoot higher without moderator on. same group just higher.

In my experience it can be up to 100mm at 100m.

Changed to one hundred millimetres or 4" or 10cm. got my nucking fumbers mixed up again.
    Last edited by 308boy; 16-12-2010 at 16:58.

I must have a barrell like a 21ft scaff tube if that's the case. Lucky me I suppose.

Apologies for being a bit bumb there - hadn't used or seen an Azimuth dimension before with out a fixed range . I usually just say left or right.

DC

P.S I'll have to have a little look at what the change between mod on and off really is. If all of the comments I've heard are correct - I really should be experiencing more a higher grouping when I take it off.

Thanks for all of your comments so far gents.

Quote Originally Posted by 308boy View Post
    the mathematical engineering term is azimuth.

most free floating barrels I have shot with or without will shoot higher without moderator on. same group just higher.

In my experience it can be up to 100cm at 100m.
    blimey do you mean 100mm as 1 metre seems a massive amount atb,wayne

Quote Originally Posted by DC .270 View Post
    Dave,

I see no real change out to 100 yds and was curious if it was common with the 85's.

Interesting Timney that it shot very very low. Is it quite a lightweight barrell on the Remmy?

Thanks,

DC
    Best part of six inches high and 3 inches to the left

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DC .270 View Post
    Dave,

Thanks,

DC
    DC, yes quite a lightweight barrel, but I suspect no more so than most other lightweight hunting rifles? Some of the difference I consider could have been due to loosening and tightening the stock screws before firing after fitting the mod, but it was shooting at least 20cm lower (in my estimation as first shot missed bottom of A4 target). It might be interesting for me to try with and without again for comparison for my own peace of mind as I have never fired it without since fitting mod.
    Timney

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    blimey do you mean 100mm as 1 metre seems a massive amount atb,wayne
    100cm is 39.4" @ 100yds that would equate to about 37.6 MOA.

100mm is 3.94" @100yds that would equate to about 3.76 MOA

Is that correct?

It's late, my brain is about fried, I'm off!

Good night!
    Last edited by TotalNovice; 11-12-2010 at 23:24.