Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else noticed

Account Suspended

Anyone else noticed

Just got back from Dumfies went up Friday night shot a real big doe without any followers and she was carrying exceptionally more fat around the back straps and around the viscera and also kidneys more than i have seen ever on a roe deer, i know they bulk up a little to make out through the winter months which is normal, Has anyone else noticed a huge increase in fat? more than your used to.

Only thing I can think of the does is expecting a real hard winter to bulk up so much.

Stu

Perhaps it's because she had no calves this year and a good Autumn. The deer are in good condition but I have no idea if they can predict the long term weather.

I'd say due to no kids, lactation is a massive drain on resources and not having to bother with it will mean she was able to lay down more fat as well as being in excellent condition as you noted-possibly she was either infertile for some reason (anything interesting in the ovaries/uterus?), lost the kids or was not over threshold weight at implantation last time due to the harsh winter and as a result was able to focus entirely on bulking up with no resources being put towards a couple of kids in tow?

Cheers

Tom
    Last edited by Dorsetvetstudent; 12-12-2010 at 16:10. Reason: Grammatical error

Just a quick question for Dorsetvetstudent.
    Sheep might not settle to the tup if carrying too much condition, is this the same with Roe ?
    Last edited by K333ROE; 12-12-2010 at 16:50.

I dont know if it is just me getting the terminology wrong but, I always thought Reds and Sika had calves, Roe and Fallow had kids. Also never really thought Roe had followers at this time of year, i thought they only had kids at this time of year due to the kicking out process in April/May? have I been wrong all this time?

I thought:

Red/Sika: calves
    Roe: kids
    Fallow: fawns

I've been calling Roe kids with a doe followers, they are certainly around at this time of year-but then my terminology could be wrong there! :S

As to fertility: Fat animals suffer from fertility issues, for various metabolic, endocrine and anatomic reasons (I don't do fertility in full till next term though!), so yes it is quite possible I imagine for a very fat roe to have issues with fertility due to excessive body fat. However (and here I may be corrected by one of the much more experienced stalkers on this site) I do not personally think that a wild deer would be capable of reaching a point where this would happen-you see rare enough triplets about in roe as it is, and as they only get triplets above a certain condition/weight surely we would see more if they were capable of getting so fat as to adversely affect fertility? The only reason we get these issues in farmed animals is because we feed them and they are kept in ideal conditions-in my case my life experience is mostly with dairy cattle whose nutrition is complicated, tightly controlled and a world away from wild deer.

Cheers

Tom

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetvetstudent View Post
    I thought:

Red/Sika: calves
    Roe: kids
    Fallow: fawns

I've been calling Roe kids with a doe followers, they are certainly around at this time of year-but then my terminology could be wrong there! :S

As to fertility: Fat animals suffer from fertility issues, for various metabolic, endocrine and anatomic reasons (I don't do fertility in full till next term though!), so yes it is quite possible I imagine for a very fat roe to have issues with fertility due to excessive body fat. However (and here I may be corrected by one of the much more experienced stalkers on this site) I do not personally think that a wild deer would be capable of reaching a point where this would happen-you see rare enough triplets about in roe as it is, and as they only get triplets above a certain condition/weight surely we would see more if they were capable of getting so fat as to adversely affect fertility? The only reason we get these issues in farmed animals is because we feed them and they are kept in ideal conditions-in my case my life experience is mostly with dairy cattle whose nutrition is complicated, tightly controlled and a world away from wild deer.

Cheers

Tom
    No your not wrong a Doe with this years kids are reliant on the mother at this time of year and and suckling usually ceases in January where they become less reliant on mum, there are exceptions to that and i have seen instances of the milk drying up prior to January

Hi Stu

I shot a mature doe and kid this morning up here and I thought bloody hell this roe is full of fat, why this is the case I have no idea, so I am not sure that the explanation for yours is entirely because she was barren.

ATB

Tahr

I had a chap out on saturday he shot a big doe dressed out at 44lb and she had two young might i add fully stuffed with fat cant even see the kidneys i will take a picture in the morning as one of the big does is still hanging.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    Hi Stu

I shot a mature doe and kid this morning up here and I thought bloody hell this roe is full of fat, why this is the case I have no idea, so I am not sure that the explanation for yours is entirely because she was barren.

ATB

Tahr
    She just didnt have any kids last year Kevin, I examined the fetal sack and there was two minute feteus present so I presume it was that she didnt make out last year, but like you say they seem to be bulking up somewhat, and as David says in his post below , You could not see the kidneys at all but the viscera was caked in it, absolutely amazing, in all the years I have been stalking I have never seen so much internal fat this beast weighed 64lb with head and legs on with rumen and viscera out huge weight especially for this time of year , Heaviest doe I have ever shot.