Thread: is it normal for roe

is it normal for roe

is it normal for roe to be still in hard antler at this time of year over the last few weeks i have been watching a 6 pointer struggling to find food and he is in hard antler still i managed to take some pictures Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motorway pond 31 st of july 076.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	393.7 KB 
ID:	3809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motorway pond 31 st of july 077.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	427.8 KB 
ID:	3810but they arent really clear,wayne

Hi this is just a young buck by the looks going into its 2nd year this may/june & most will have cast by now but not all as theres no hard & fast rules really on antler cast. The older/mature bucks cast first & young later ie december. I have seen mature bucks cast before they are out of season in mid october but these are big/old/mature beasts & i have seen bucks as 6-pointers in velvet in early january hope this helps.

thanks for the reply i have seen a few bucks lately all had cast but not this fella i just thaught with the weather and all they would have done it by now,atb wayne

saw a young buck with antlers still in hard horn today. His mate who was with him already had 2 inches of growth in velvet.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    is it normal for roe to be still in hard antler at this time of year over the last few weeks i have been watching a 6 pointer struggling to find food and he is in hard antler still i managed to take some pictures Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motorway pond 31 st of july 076.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	393.7 KB 
ID:	3809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motorway pond 31 st of july 077.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	427.8 KB 
ID:	3810but they arent really clear,wayne
    wayne,

sorry mate but this is not classed as a health issue and therfore you cant shoot it. the animal is not in any form of distress etc I am joking....

I think v-max hit the nail on the head with regards to the no hard n fast rule mate.
    you may be right that due to bad weather or food the new antlers are not ready for growing and he has not started to shed yet

atb f.

The old adage, "the older the head, the sooner it's shed", would tend to point to this being a young animal.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

cheers guys i have been watching a buck ,doe and follower all year in the field outside my bedroom window and these last few weeks this chap has appeared bold as brass but seems to have no fear which i think will be his downfall he has been walking up and down the road it amazes me how the walkers/dog walkers pass by within 10ft of him and dont even realise hes there,atb wayne