Gentlemen of our sport

nuttyspaniel

On another site there is a topic regards the Old Gentlemen/Stalkers which have helped ourselves get to where we are today! So in a spin of that thread I wish to let the "net" know of a great moment in my life today!!

I have been looking hard for a Richard Prior reed roe call but all my efforts had been envail!! I eventualy spoke to Richard today and discovered to my disapointment they were no longer produced!! OK for a moment I thoguht back to the drawing board and where do I go from here? But before I could ask the man what would he recomend as a substitue he offered me from his own collection an Austrian call which has served him well over the last few years for free, he didnt even want reimbursed for the postage!

This is Richard

THANK YOU AND ALL THE OTHER GENTLEMEN WHO HAVE SHAPED OUR SPORT I CAN ONLY HOPE I CAN CARRY ON YOUR LEGACY AND HOLD MY HEAD HIGH!

cheers
nutty

I love hearing stories like this. I think it is so great that those who helped establish the sport are giving to those who walk in their footsteps.

GSG

I'm chuffed for you Nutty! The Old Fathers of British deer management, really are a breed apart! I myself take great lengths to study their books and articles and follow their good example.
Deer stalking I my opinion is the highest level of country pursuits. I don't mean that in a snobby way, I mean that rich or poor stalker (I'm the latter), should feel that they are guardians of the deer forest/countryside and set a good example to other countryside user's.
Its reading the books of G Kenneth Whitehead, Richard Prior, Ian Alcock, Richard Perry, Roger Mc Kinley, L MacNally, Dr Rory Putman and many others, that instill me with what I believe stalking is all about. The traditions, the conservation of our 'Green and Pleasant Land' and the camaraderie between fellow/ess stalkers. I don't bother with the DVD's and magazines with titles such as 'Monster Red Stag Cull Fest' or 'Mega Roebuck Apocalyse Red letter day VIII'. I made those titles up (you want find them on Amazon), but you know what I mean.

Here's one for you all.
Before the nasty people attempted to wreck the site. There was talk of re-loading workshops and butchery courses, well if Rob Mac is still interested in running these, how about asking one of the old guard such as Richard Prior to give an afternoon talk and question and answer session on one of these days?
Morning:- Re-loading course
Dinner:- Venison dinner
Afternoon:- Guest speaker and booze up!
Get a sponsor involved to put up a stall and sell some kit. I do a bit for 'Kammo' I'm sure they would like to get involved.
What do you think?

I share your sentiments:-

THANK YOU AND ALL THE OTHER GENTLEMEN WHO HAVE SHAPED OUR SPORT I CAN ONLY HOPE I CAN CARRY ON YOUR LEGACY AND HOLD MY HEAD HIGH!

Carl that seems a cracking idea and I for 1 would be up for a day like that as long as the cost was reasonable. If anything it would be great to put faces to names.

cheers
nutty

Well I reckon that if there was a few of us, and we got sponsorship from some hunting equipment firms, shooting magazines and BASC or the Deer Initative and allowed the hunting press to publicise the event. I reckon we could do it. What do you think Rob?

I have met a few "gentlemen of the sport" some are no longer with me, having passed on. One I met as a client. A southern gentleman from Atlanta who became a very close and personal friend of mine for over 15 years. Another who we nicknamed Curlew had the most dry sense of humour of anyone I have ever met. Both are no longer here, but I have have the huge honour to have known them and hunted with them, one on three different continents.

But my love of stalking was generated by a friend who still lives in a quiet peaceful corner of the highlands some 28 years ago. I took my first red hind with him, using his 308, I can still remember every part of that event. I owe all these men a debt of gratitude, and many others as well.

What a wonderful sport we have amongst us all. There is notjhing like it, not only do we enjoy all mother nature gives us, but along the way we meet fellow hunters who we form bonds with which last until the end.

Good stalkers are born, not made, and like old soldiers never fade away.

I recieved my call from Mr Prior today. Now the hard part learning to blow it! It has a litle round hole at the end of the reed Im not sure but it seems to be the case of using a finger to alter the pitch!

cheers
nutty

Nutty do you think Mr Prior would be interested in being a guest speaker at our 'Stalking Directory Website' members gathering?

Where's Rob Mac anyway?

"Rob read this thread, come on big man, we want a training/meet - greet/eat and get drunk day organised please!" :D

Carl I couldnt comment if Richard would be interested. But what I can say is if this was to go ahead he can only say NO!!!!!!!! Rob Macs place is in fife mate.

cheers
nutty

Carl Gustaf said:
"Rob read this thread, come on big man, we want a training/meet - greet/eat and get drunk day organised please!" :D

Do we???? Since when? :rolleyes:

Nutty and Carl, I would be up for a day as suggested, sounds like a really great idea, maybe we can get an idea of numbers and organise something ourselves, what does everybody think?
Andy

Nutty and Andy yeah sounds great, lets do it.

Nemo (Bradley, abob, swede) whatever, no one asked your opinion. But thanks anyway, I take it you won't be coming then?

I think that we need to start a thread and discuss where. I don't mind travelling but somewhere central would be a good ideal.

Why not just d it at one of the Game Fairs either the CLA or the Midland. People only come for the beer anyway.

Back