Doe Box / Low Seat ideas

Timney

I would imagine this subject has been discussed to death previously on SD but does anyone have any designs / ideas for simple doe boxes or low seats to seat one or two persons that have worked well for them? To be used over re-stock ground so concealment required on all four sides.

Ideally I would like them to be easily transportable and erectable on site (modular system?). Approximately 3-4' raised off the ground. We have a local sawmill so I can source the wood no problem, but would you suggest square posts or round, 3" or 4" supports? Any suggestions welcomed. Unfortunately I do not want to spend a King's ransom making one so the simpler the better as I intend to make a few if all goes to plan...

Also, has anyone used freight pallets to make a box, and if so what is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance
Timney

hi timney i have seen a few mostly with a stack of pallets on the ground to the correct floor height then a simple sloped roof higher at the front with a slot on the front and sides for good vision you can have a door on the back or just leave a gap to get in with a wide plank for a seat which is removeable just use cheap ply for the hut and floor and stain atb,wayne

Get the off cuts from the saw mill, the first plank that's cut to square the rounds is usually scrap and is easy to use. Drive 4 stakes into the ground and clad with the planks. Choose a roof of your choice. Very easy and cheap

Both great ideas, thanks guys. I think I can source some pallets locally as well as off-cuts, so may give both a go. Will let you know how I get on.
Timney

Picture 015.jpgLike deer man said, this is what i used to put up at work with off cuts from the saw mill, looks smart and professional, does the job and keeps you dry!

That looks just the ticket, thanks tommydeer. Can't quite see from the picture, but do you have some sort of frame over the roof area to support the branches or is it a board/planks and is it water proof? Just need to get this snow out the way then I can crack on. Thank you all for your replies.
Timney

Hi Timney

Yeah, i just used the few odd planks i had left to put the roof on, it looked a better finish with the branches sat on the top .

The only thing i did afterwards was go back and put a small shelf out of the front, this way i could get the bipod out and was happier taking longer shots with a sound rest.

It didnt take too long to do, we dotted them all over the place!

Best of luck!

I make low seats from half inch ply, with a rear door and shooting gaps to the sides and front. Raking roof with roofing felt cover and a shelf at the front that is not fixed. There are two runners at the rear of the seat in case I take another person. Lift shelf onto the runners and two people can sit in comfort, one on the shelf/seat and the other on a swivel office chair. Works for me.

I make low seats from half inch ply, with a rear door and shooting gaps to the sides and front. Raking roof with roofing felt cover and a shelf at the front that is not fixed. There are two runners at the rear of the seat in case I take another person. Lift shelf onto the runners and two people can sit in comfort, one on the shelf/seat and the other on a swivel office chair. Works for me.
Every swivel chair in a low box or high seat I have ever used gets rusty quickly and then squeaks when turning, I hate the things.
Using a bipod is a mistake in a high or low seat imho I just use a clenched fist laid sideways over the shelf and never miss my shots and it is comfortable to use.
Martin

I'm looking at the frame on the outside of a 1000l IBC thats connected to a pallet and wondering if that would make the perfect frame for a low seat? Cable tie a couple of pieces of roof batten to two uprights on one side higher than the other side to give a sloping roof profile. Just a thought.

I'm looking at the frame on the outside of a 1000l IBC thats connected to a pallet and wondering if that would make the perfect frame for a low seat? Cable tie a couple of pieces of roof batten to two uprights on one side higher than the other side to give a sloping roof profile. Just a thought.

I have made low seats out of the metal cage pallets, A little liquid metal on site with some cloth cladding and a make shift roof, very easy! Make sure you lay some old carpet or ply line the floor as it can be noisy!

View attachment 3908Like deer man said, this is what i used to put up at work with off cuts from the saw mill, looks smart and professional, does the job and keeps you dry!
Just bought some offcuts from sawmill yesterday, a whole bundle (trailer full) only cost me £15 and should hopefully be enough to make about 3 or 4 boxes will hopefully start knocking some together soon!

hi timney i have seen a few mostly with a stack of pallets on the ground to the correct floor height then a simple sloped roof higher at the front with a slot on the front and sides for good vision you can have a door on the back or just leave a gap to get in with a wide plank for a seat which is removeable just use cheap ply for the hut and floor and stain atb,wayne
Wayne, I wonder where you might have seen such a master piece??

If you have a potato farmer near look at the boxes they use some discard them as soon as tehy are damage one upside down and the top one right way up you have a good start 4ft off the ground and omly need a roof.

Can I just point out that I unreservedly apologise to anyone that is of a nervous disposition and has looked at the image in the above post.

Back