Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 help needed

.22 help needed

recently i purchased a secondhand .22 anshultz from a site member and with the purchase i was given half a box of the old grey boxed winchester ammo which i zeroed the scope in with and was producing raggy holes at 35yrds with and all was good, until i put the new blue boxed stuff through when the rfle was struggling to group at a inch at 35yrds so i changed ammo and have so far tryed remington, winchester xpert, cci and some make from brazil which begins with a A but i cant remember its name but all have failed to give me a grouping below 1" and now i'm stuck as to what to do? i have cleaned the barrel and re-floated the barrel both of which helped my grouping marginally. i also took of the mod but that did nothing to help and have also p.m.'d the chap who sold me the rifle to see what he thinks but any other ideas would be gratfully recived as at the moment anything past 40yrds is a miss
    p.s. please no bad post's about whom sold me the rifle as i dont belive it's somthing he was aware of and i dont want this thread to become a witch hunt i'm just after some advice

Hi. I mate of mine has an Anschutz .22 that doesn't shoot the new Winchester as well as the good 'ole grey box. He now uses Lapua which seems to perform very well indeed.

DC

P.S. I'll check when I see him mid week - make sure it is Lapua - I think it is.

That does sound very strange from an Annie. I've always fed mine nothing but Eley and it groups in one hole at that sort of range.

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    recently i purchased a secondhand .22 anshultz from a site member and with the purchase i was given half a box of the old grey boxed winchester ammo which i zeroed the scope in with and was producing raggy holes at 35yrds with and all was good, until i put the new blue boxed stuff through when the rfle was struggling to group at a inch at 35yrds so i changed ammo and have so far tryed remington, winchester xpert, cci and some make from brazil which begins with a A but i cant remember its name but all have failed to give me a grouping below 1" and now i'm stuck as to what to do? i have cleaned the barrel and re-floated the barrel both of which helped my grouping marginally. i also took of the mod but that did nothing to help and have also p.m.'d the chap who sold me the rifle to see what he thinks but any other ideas would be gratfully recived as at the moment anything past 40yrds is a miss
    p.s. please no bad post's about whom sold me the rifle as i dont belive it's somthing he was aware of and i dont want this thread to become a witch hunt i'm just after some advice
    Did you say 'cleaned'? there's the problem! nah, I realise you cleaned it BECAUSE of an accuracy problem. However, that rifle should really accomodate for a far greater range of ammo, I'm guessing there's something else playing into the equation!

Account Suspended

Get some eley subs mate. My .22lr CZ produces 1/2" groups at 50yds and 1" group at 100yds.

If you have cleaned barrel and floated it and checked the crown for damage, the next thing I would try is a different scope.

.22lr rifles are very simple tools and there is very little to go wrong.

Try the eley's then try a different scope.

thanks for the reply's chaps i will try and get hold of some eley's and give them a go and there is no damage to the crown, i will also change the scope but i dont think it is the scope but it is worth a go i suppose. any more ideas gladly welcome but what i think is a bit weird is that all of the bullets seem to be producing a grouping of just over 1"

thanks for the reply's chaps i will try and get hold of some eley's and give them a go and there is no damage to the crown, i will also change the scope but i dont think it is the scope but it is worth a go i suppose. any more ideas gladly welcome but what i think is a bit weird is that all of the bullets seem to be producing a grouping of just over 1"
    was it cut down significantly for moderator use, and now being shot without?

Got an annie myself. It bugholes eley subs. BUT it's no good changing ammo about. I think it has to do with the lub on the bullets coating the barrel if you change type it has to coat the barrel again. If I'm ammo testing I'll shot a box plinking before I test for groups. FYI mine will NOT shoot winchesters under an inch at 60yds.

Ok, this is the gun that i sold Dan the other week. A couple of points to make clear. The Anshutz is the 1451 model and is totally standard. The barrel has never been cut down or damaged. Dan has PM`d me asking what i used in it. I gave him half a tub of winchester sub sonics and a full tub of Expediter Supersonics. These are the bullets that i`ve used all the time, sometimes stingers but especially the winnies in all of the .22s i`ve had and could actually get hole on top of hole with them. Before i took the rifle down i checked it out with the same tub of .22 subs that i gave him, more to make sure that it worked as it hadn`t been shot for 2 years plus. It shot fine and gave me a good group for the 6/7 shots i had with it.
    For reasons that are too long to go through he had to put another scope on it so i maybe think this could possibly be the problem. I`ve tried cci`s and eley`s before but didn`t rate them "at the time anyway" but they may have changed for the better in the time i`ve not been using a .22. I have to agree that cleaning the barrel is something that you don`t do as they get a waxy film from the bullets, especially those winnies.

I`m sure you will be fine with it like has been said, .22`s are pretty simple and don`t go wrong.

ATB

wadas

Hi Lampalot,
    not sure how experienced you are so please don't take offence if I'm teaching my mum to suck eggs.

Might be worth checking all the securing screws for the rifle and scope. Then perhaps let someone else shoot with it to see how they get on. I also have a mate with one of these, I'll bounce it off him to see what he thinks.

Good luck, let us know if you sort out the problem.

Buckup.