Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GWP pull down

GWP pull down

Hi I just thought I would share this. I treated myself to a GWP two years ago and I have gone into the stalking in a big way. I have several friends that have Bavarians and Hanoverians and they all say what you have got a GWP for. Well now I am proud to say coz he’s worth every penny. I take many clients out and we were down South earlier this year and one of my friends dog wouldn’t grip a wounded animal, (Muntjac) which we had to dispatch humanly. I was out stalking the other day on the Sika, and one was wounded and we tracked into the beast and then I could hear him giving voice. A good friend of mine and myself followed the voice and as we broke through the forestry and found my GWP giving chase to the wounded animal and gaining rapidly. BUT I had concerns as the dog was chasing this Sika Hind that was allot bigger than him and he has had hold of dead deer from Muntjac, Roe, Fallow but never alive one. So as you can imagine I was apprehensive as to what he was going to do. Much to my delight he was gained on the animal and pulled the hind down by its throat. This is why everyone should stalk with a dog and have faith in your dog. In all my years of stalking this is only the third time that a dog is needed but this has just proved they are invaluable. (Would you shoot game without a dog No is game worth more than deer NO)

glad everything worked out well you must be pleased the way hes working out i have to say i was unfortunate to go out on a stalk with another and we didnt have a dog i stalked one section of forest and he went to a ride to wait for a shot i later heard a shot so finished up my stalk and headed back by this time darkness had fallen and he hadnt met up so i went off as i knew where he was when i got there i could see torches i made my precence known before moving on and went down to help he had struck a roe but from the signs was a low strike to the brisket there was one spot of blood with a small amount of white pins we marked the strike point and then slowley looked for signs after a few metres another spot of blood this went on for a while but only a tiny spot of blood we spent a few hours looking and had to give up till morning we went back the next morning and found a lay up point and tracks but had long gone and very little blood it was from that moment i knew i needed a dog if i was to carry on stalking to be sure this wouldnt happen or at the very least be able to track it properly all of my usual stalking has been with people with dogs and i have seen them at work and amazing to watch them know a deer is present well before they make themselfs known and even more amazing to watch them find a deer in thick cover ,atb wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Big Yan View Post
    Hi I just thought I would share this. I treated myself to a GWP two years ago and I have gone into the stalking in a big way. I have several friends that have Bavarians and Hanoverians and they all say what you have got a GWP for. Well now I am proud to say coz he’s worth every penny. I take many clients out and we were down South earlier this year and one of my friends dog wouldn’t grip a wounded animal, (Muntjac) which we had to dispatch humanly. I was out stalking the other day on the Sika, and one was wounded and we tracked into the beast and then I could hear him giving voice. A good friend of mine and myself followed the voice and as we broke through the forestry and found my GWP giving chase to the wounded animal and gaining rapidly. BUT I had concerns as the dog was chasing this Sika Hind that was allot bigger than him and he has had hold of dead deer from Muntjac, Roe, Fallow but never alive one. So as you can imagine I was apprehensive as to what he was going to do. Much to my delight he was gained on the animal and pulled the hind down by its throat. This is why everyone should stalk with a dog and have faith in your dog. In all my years of stalking this is only the third time that a dog is needed but this has just proved they are invaluable. (Would you shoot game without a dog No is game worth more than deer NO)
    Agreed big yan,dogs for deer should be compulsory but not GWPs, should be labs,only joking ,as long as you get the wounded beast that's all that matters and as long as you have a dog you get on with.terriers do the damage on deer too,seen a border tackle a red stag before like David and Goliath,the wee border won in the end

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Well done Dan

Be careful with the big deer and your dog, my GWP tackled a big fallow buck the other month and got a puncher wound in her back leg, cost be £80 at the vets, not that stopped her from going after the buck.

I “play” with my dogs with a set of red antlers, chasing her around the garden and bashing her with them so she knows antlers are bad news and to keep out the way of them. I guess a buck moves a bit quicker than I do though.

ATB

Tahr

Are you sure that you should be posting this ? I was under the impression it was ok for your dog to hold at bay but as soon as your dog bite's or grips you are breaking the Hunting Act ? Now i think it is good practice to have access to a tracking dog and we use either a GWP or Lab and both are only used for tracking .

ANIMAL WELFARE is the priority and that means dispatching the animal in the quickest and most humane way possible. If the dog pulls the deer down so that I can get to it to dispatch the animal without firing ammunition all over the countryside then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    Are you sure that you should be posting this ? I was under the impression it was ok for your dog to hold at bay but as soon as your dog bite's or grips you are breaking the Hunting Act ? Now i think it is good practice to have access to a tracking dog and we use either a GWP or Lab and both are only used for tracking .
    Perfectly legal “splash” for your dog to pull down and kill a wounded deer, you are not breaking the hunting act.

As to what happens when your dog catches up with a wounded deer, well there is very little you will be able to do about it, the dog will be on there own in the first instance, it may bay the deer or try and tackle it its self. You will never catch a leg shot or jaw shot deer tracking on a leash, a 3 legged deer will out run you so in that case you would have to let your dog do want nature evolved it for. By using a leash you could prolong the deer’s suffering. I am not saying don’t use a leash but you need to know the time to let your dog track free or accept that the deer suffering will be prolong and perhaps the deer will never be recovered.

Small deer are soon dispatched by an experience medium size dog, HPR etc often before you can get to the deer. With larger deer your dog may need your assistance.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    +1 wi big yan and thar

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

GWP pull down

On a BASC organised course with Niels S.It was pointed out that in this country unlike on the continent the dog is only supposed to hold the deer down so a humane dispatch can be carried out.If the deer expires during this time it must be emphasised that the shot damage has caused the fatality.A Politically correct observation you may feel but one that distinguishes those that use dogs to track and find deer after a shot and those that illegally use running dogs to course and pull down deer.www.muntjactrading.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    On a BASC organised course with Niels S.It was pointed out that in this country unlike on the continent the dog is only supposed to hold the deer down so a humane dispatch can be carried out.If the deer expires during this time it must be emphasised that the shot damage has caused the fatality.A Politically correct observation you may feel but one that distinguishes those that use dogs to track and find deer after a shot and those that illegally use running dogs to course and pull down deer.www.muntjactrading.co.uk
    +1 wi Kit, any legal eagles wish to provide comment?

308RWS