Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Load dilemma for .308

Load dilemma for .308

Hi,

I have been loading 150g Sierra Prohunter using 45g of Varget. This is a light load which gives me lower recoil and low meat damage (the recommended load range is 44g - 47g). My rifle is a remmy 700 which I have had cut down to 20" and fitted a mod so the velocity is lower at 2634fps. To reduce my group size should i consider upping the load to increase velocity since I cannot get the grouping one would expect. My Howa in .223 gives me 1/2" groups all day, but the remmy is really struggling even with a new rifle basics trigger.

You say the Remmy is struggling, but what kind of groups are you getting with it? If it's doing in the region of 2" then you've got summat to work with. Try varying the seating depth before stuffing more powder in.
    My own 308 seems to like 44, or 46 grains of Varget, but it sports a 22" tube.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghurka View Post
    Hi,

I have been loading 150g Sierra Prohunter using 45g of Varget. This is a light load which gives me lower recoil and low meat damage (the recommended load range is 44g - 47g). My rifle is a remmy 700 which I have had cut down to 20" and fitted a mod so the velocity is lower at 2634fps. To reduce my group size should i consider upping the load to increase velocity since I cannot get the grouping one would expect. My Howa in .223 gives me 1/2" groups all day, but the remmy is really struggling even with a new rifle basics trigger.
    Ghurka, I have only been reloading for a couple of years, but it is my opinion that COAL is much more important than powder charge. At least it is in my rifle. So try varying your COAL before anything else.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

After fitting the trigger unit I am getting 1.5"-2" groups. The oal is 2.800", how does this compare to yours? I have read that my version of the 700 (PSS) has a longer chamber length than the norm so maybe I need to increase the length?

Normally a 308 shoots nails...
    maybe your crown is not great. I've had barrels threaded and recrowned with
    a crown that looked more like a 45 deg counter sinker crammed in. After correcting this the rifle improved.
    Also test with and without moderator, to be sure you don't have a badly fitting mod.
    Another trick to see if a 308 is halfway ok is to try some Lapua 167gr scenar factory ammo.
    Almost all 308's shoot well with this, at least mostly below 1".

edi

Thanks all, will try some experimenting to eliminate possible causes and see what comes up.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghurka View Post
    Hi,

I agree with the guys above, seating depth should be your first port of call.

If you cannot sort it with seating depth try a powder load ladder to find the right load for your barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by robbobsam View Post
    I agree with the guys above, seating depth should be your first port of call.

If you cannot sort it with seating depth try a powder load ladder to find the right load for your barrel.
    robbosam. I am very interested in your thoughts on ladders. Do you have any good links to the ladder technique you recommend? I found this link, but keen to read others.

Long-Range Load Development

Thanks JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 13-12-2010 at 22:21. Reason: correction

I found a multitude of things with my R700 .308.. It was the same as yours. I definitely got better groups by varying the amount of powder and also COAL. I went to about 2.93'' (on the lands) of 10 thou off, cant remember exactly but the groups tightened up well, the problem you have a that COAL is feeding them into the mag. Its not possible with a standard factory rifle! One thing it did shoot very well all day was PRVI partizan 168gn HPBTs.

I was experimenting with 150gn SST and 165 GKs. Best results with the 150gn SSTs. I spent c. 250 on load development and never got a consistent sub 1 MOA group out of it.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    robbosam. I am very interested in your thoughts on ladders. Do you have any good links to the ladder technique you recommend? I found this link, but keen to read others.

Long-Range Load Development

Thanks JCS
    LOL...LOL...LOL...

We read the same material, I have never shoot out to 1000yds but I do the same technique at one of my local permissions at 600yds. It is a little more difficult to see the variations in groups but you can clearly see the accuracy window.

I didn't do all the colouring in stuff of the bullet heads but I did pretty much follow the technique for powder load and seating depth. It worked well.

I did it with the Bergers I am currently shooting out to 500yds. It has generated a load that I am over the moon with.

80grain Bergers in front of 37.5grains of varget seated just touching the lands in a 1 in 10 Tikka T3. 0.8" groups at 200yds.