Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 v 7mm 08

Established Poster

308 v 7mm 08

Hi guys iv currently got a spair slot for a 308 on my ticket but that was mainly because i used to be a member of a gun yeh i know how sad lol . And now im been tempted toward a 7m 08 and would love lots of advise please . The rifle would be used mainly for fallow but if i can ever afford it a trip to scotland wouldnt be out of the aquation .

Cheer Andy

Ask youself what the difference will be at the receiving end and then buy the one that takes your fancy.
    Last edited by caorach; 13-12-2010 at 21:01. Reason: spelling

Are you a reloader?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Are you a reloader?
    He will be as I've offered to show him the ropes.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

Hardly any difference.. Better BC and therefore a slightly flatter trajectory. Its something different though and seems to be growing in popularity. I also chose it because its aparently a milder round to shoot.

Established Poster

7mm 08

yeh as pierred said fingers crossed i will be rolling my own but with lots of help as im not the sharpest tool in the box lol a milder recoil would be good for me i must confess getting old you see lol'

#
    Last edited by foxer1; 13-12-2010 at 21:34.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    Hardly any difference.. Better BC and therefore a slightly flatter trajectory. Its something different though and seems to be growing in popularity. I also chose it because its aparently a milder round to shoot.
    noticably milder.

Quote Originally Posted by foxer1 View Post
    Hi guys iv currently got a spair slot for a 308 on my ticket but that was mainly because i used to be a member of a gun yeh i know how sad lol . And now im been tempted toward a 7m 08 and would love lots of advise please . The rifle would be used mainly for fallow but if i can ever afford it a trip to scotland wouldnt be out of the aquation .

Cheer Andy
    Personal choice is 7-08 ... less recoil, terminal performance at all normal ranges is effective for all UK Deer species. If you're going to shoot longer range at paper/steel then the 7-08 is probably flatter shooting, which is what I understand the round was developed for originally.

A lot of people go to the 308 because its what they used in the Military (7.62) on the Queens Enemies, in days of yore. That doesen't necessarily make it the ideal deer calibre IMHO. AND..... as already said; in UK the 7-08 is a reloaders calibre.

There was an interesting article on this topic in Sporting Rifle a month or 2 ago, PM if you'd like a scan of it.

Best

P

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka 260 View Post
    A lot of people go to the 308 because its what they used in the Military (7.62) on the Queens Enemies, in days of yore. There was an interesting article on this topic in Sporting Rifle a month or 2 ago, PM if you'd like a scan of it.
    P
    P, I think you will find the military are still using quite a lot of 7.62, in fact the volume used is increasing!

Lew Potter in his splendid book "Deer Stalking and Management" calls the .308, "probably the ultimate allrounder". I find it hard to disagree with him, although I am a big fan of the 7mm round.

In fact there would be much to the argument that the 7x64 is a more versatile round (although the .280 is supposed to be more efficient), able to be loaded up to very nearly rem-mag levels, or down to 7x57 performance levels. And the 7x57 is what the 7mm-08 is supposed to replace. In the great scheme of things the deer will never know what killed it, they are all effective rounds and none will let you down.

Much navel gazing can be done on this subject

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Over sensible deer stalking ranges there is virtually no difference. It's at really long range that the 7mm-08 wins.

I am planning on building a target rifle in 7mm-08 when I have shot my .243 out. At 1000yds the elevation is 28moa for the 7mm and 32moa for hte .243 and the 7mm is still supersonic at 1300yds. Please note this will be a target rifle which I am planning to use out to 1200yds+.

That said however, my deer stalking rifle is a .308.