Music to my ears..........

"I will go", plus a whole host of others, by The Corries do it for me. Made sure there was a piper at my wedding, even though it was in Dorset .

Last edited:
+1 for highland cathedral.beautiful.scots guards play it well,flowers of the forest and heilin laddie,piped lovat onto sword beach at Normandy,all classics

Last edited:
A gentleman is someone who can play the bagpipes, but chooses not to.

Guess that's the end of my visa for the hinds in a week or so?

:D

Ahem, excuse me Mr KennyC (sounds like a country and western star doesn't he, "And now from the Grand Old Oprey Tenesssssee an old favorite from KennyC ....'Grandma's Feather Bed' yahoo ), what about the classics from those Scottish Rock Greats... Big Country. They managed to combine a Highland pipe riff with rock and reach the top of the bottom of the top 40 in the 80's and 90's, and I loved 'em, even met the legendary Stuart Adamson not once, but twice (before he died of alcoholism and drug abuse) !!!!!

Saw Big Country at The Barras, Glasgow. Absolutely superb, really brought the house down. Were rumours of suicide. Shame. He was in the Skids as well. There are some great sounds though not of the military sway done by Capercaillie. The Blood Is Strong is a good CD. Fhear na'bhata (oh my boatman), being a favourite one of mine, lamenting lost loved ones during the clearances. Gaelic speakers please correct my spelling.

Can't get any further south from Scotland than me but I agree Big Country were a class apart. I saw them twice (once across the border in Devon) and Stuart Adamson was fantastic. Sadly missed.

I`m an Englishman through and through and proud of it.
Just had a "hot" debate with my mate over a piece of music. One of my favourites is a Scottish piece of pipes and drums and my mate says "You ain`t `kin wired right!!"
What the f---s wrong with an Englishman liking a piece of Scottish music??
His attitude has really pi--ed me off tonight.
Rant over.........
basil.

And I'm a Scotsman through and through... but, as much as I find the pipes rousing, and even melancholy on occasion, your English choral offerings are just truly sublime.

Appologies to Cambridge for my Oxford comma.

ps. and written by an American too!

Last edited:
...anyone heard of Martyn Bennett? Died when just a young bloke but I thought his music was quite inspired.
here's an example

Saw Martyn Bennet supporting Peter Gabriel a short time before he died. Very interesting mix of stuff. Bought the 'Grit' CD, very good but very different.

Again, an Englishman for whom Gaelic culture is profoundly affecting. As someone said, the sung psalms just blow me away. Our little school (currently 20 kids) consistantly produces the must amazing Gaelic singers, clarsach players, fiddlers and pipers.

My boy giving his best:
DSC_0085.jpg

If you want drumming to bring out the Braveheart gene then look up Clann an Drumma, after hearing them in Edinburgh during the pro hunt march I was ready to storm Dewar's Folly. They have played the Scottish Game Fair and are supportive of country sports.

Give me the recording of "Flower of Scotland" by the victorious 1990 Grand Slam Team, pipes, patriotism, Bill McClaren - makes me tingle thinking about it, but perhaps that's because I'm a Scot!

Back