Music to my ears..........

basil

Distinguished Member
I`m an Englishman through and through and proud of it.
Just had a "hot" debate with my mate over a piece of music. One of my favourites is a Scottish piece of pipes and drums and my mate says "You ain`t `kin wired right!!"
What the f---s wrong with an Englishman liking a piece of Scottish music??
His attitude has really pi--ed me off tonight.
Rant over.........
basil.

If you want to convert him, get him to listen to Parallel Tracks, Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. Mark Knopfler even makes a guest appearance on one track.

Favourite tracks are The Gael (Last of the Mohican's) and The Bells of Dunblane which will bring a tear to his eye. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Heres one for your mate and its makes my heart race. Anyone thinking of traveling up here should always listen to this first ps full volume and all the way through it gets beter and beter as the track gose on.

A well known saying, "Every well known English man is a Scots man at heart",no, not by Rabbie Burns, by me, I made it up a few minutes ago :rofl::rofl: ( now watch the fur fly)...callie

If you want to convert him, get him to listen to Parallel Tracks, Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. Mark Knopfler even makes a guest appearance on one track.

Favourite tracks are The Gael (Last of the Mohican's) and The Bells of Dunblane which will bring a tear to his eye. I promise you won't be disappointed.
The Bells of Dunblane i presume was made for the school children?
Personally, The Dark Isle by The Blackwatch takes some beating but i haven`t listened to that many pieces of pipes and drums music.
basil.

Both you and your mate need to listen to the Red Hot Chille PIPERS. For real. Also for more traditional music listen to a piece of music called Highland Cathedral.
For us native born Scots the pipes and drums can move us to tears and incite us to Braveheart acts of bravery and occasional aggression. It's in the genes and we can't do anything about it.

Both you and your mate need to listen to the Red Hot Chille PIPERS. For real. Also for more traditional music listen to a piece of music called Highland Cathedral.
For us native born Scots the pipes and drums can move us to tears and incite us to Braveheart acts of bravery and occasional aggression. It's in the genes and we can't do anything about it.
Drink four cans instead of twelve? :rofl:
Sorry, couldn`t resist.
basil.

My dad was drafted into the army, it was into the Irish fusileers. They marched to pipes and drums, and he tells me it terrified him, so God knows the effect it had on the enemy.

I can't watch "Highlander" without crying .... being a TRUE story it's just so emotional to me, gets me right there u'kno !

they certainly moved me to tears :D sorry bagpipes and rock good bedfellows do not make, now military music.....

KennyC,
I gave you two options, some of us can move with the times and others are more reluctant;). Bagrock to the masses. The Chillies are just amazing live. 5000 Scots and few carefully vetted Sassenachs bouncing off the walls fair gets the pulse going.

they certainly moved me to tears :D sorry bagpipes and rock good bedfellows do not make, now military music.....

Ahem, excuse me Mr KennyC (sounds like a country and western star doesn't he, "And now from the Grand Old Oprey Tenesssssee an old favorite from KennyC ....'Grandma's Feather Bed' yahoo ), what about the classics from those Scottish Rock Greats... Big Country. They managed to combine a Highland pipe riff with rock and reach the top of the bottom of the top 40 in the 80's and 90's, and I loved 'em, even met the legendary Stuart Adamson not once, but twice (before he died of alcoholism and drug abuse) !!!!!

Ahem, excuse me Mr KennyC (sounds like a country and western star doesn't he, "And now from the Grand Old Oprey Tenesssssee an old favorite from KennyC ....'Grandma's Feather Bed' yahoo ), what about the classics from those Scottish Rock Greats... Big Country. They managed to combine a Highland pipe riff with rock and reach the top of the bottom of the top 40 in the 80's and 90's, and I loved 'em, even met the legendary Stuart Adamson not once, but twice (before he died of alcoholism and drug abuse) !!!!!

Big Country, one of the best bands of all time. Saw them live in their heyday more times than I can remember. When I travelled with a back pack round Europe as a youngster, guess what was playing in the Walkman? Managed to convert Aussies, Germans, Americans, Canadians....

Heres one for your mate and its makes my heart race. Anyone thinking of traveling up here should always listen to this first ps full volume and all the way through it gets beter and beter as the track gose on.

Thanks for that, it reminded me just how much I like it :thumb:
But the version that always gets me is this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-qZcY5TduM
Not a good clip of it, but when he sat and played that in the middle of Russia on the long way round it just left me choked up
And I'm not a Scot, nor have I spent much time there, although my Mum is a Scot.

Neil. :)

It's the pentatonic scale that does it lads - a music form from ancient times based on five notes used in different octaves. It raises the hair and gets the primordial genes racing about. Hear a gaelic woman singing solo without backing and it gets the blood going.

I have a general idea of what you are talking about as apart from shooting and running, piping was my profession in the army. I was taught by the best players in the world - in their time.

I don't hold much opinion about religion..... but to hear the 'Wee Free' Church of Scotland singing the psalms in gaelic without music led by a presentor is hair raising. For a more modern but equally moving take on this listen to Pog Aon Oidhche Earraich from the Amazing Things album by Runrig.

I am an Englishman, with some Scottish blood in me (distantly, you understand), but there are some bits of pipe music which touch an atavistic chord with me, deep down where an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth makes perfect sense.

This is one, it's a bit tame recorded, but to hear it live and loud................................:evil:

I am also a fan of the Northumberland pipes too.

When my mate Richard Larkin was buried, his wife had a piper play a lament, I cried.

ft

Back