Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: News story

News story

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...6908-22780647/

Worth a read if your into deer and the way they are controlled
    Last edited by 6pointer; 13-12-2010 at 22:16.

To be honest this sort of thing gets my blood boiling!!!!!!!! millions of pounds are spent on so called regeneration at the expense of the deer population. It deprives deer of lowground winter forrage especialy if you take into account the last two winters. Even where fences are in place they are seldom deer proof so its a constant all year drain on the deer population.Its about time that deer were taken as a serious benefiet to the country. not only do they provide sustainable organic food. they provide income from stalking and the offshoot of that to hotels b&bs etc emloyment for stalkers , and attract tourism to the hills. What can be said about thousands of acres of scrubby trees. You cant walk thru them you cant eat them,it costs thousands to try and establish them.
    Last edited by inversanda; 16-12-2010 at 00:35. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by inversanda View Post
    Its about time that deer were taken as a serious benefiet to the country. not only do they provide sustainable organic food.
    Only this weekend was the UK reporting a surge in vsnison demands. And the shortfall of supply, from Scotland also. There were talks of venison still being shipped in from NZ.

DC

Account Suspended
    [QUOTE=inversanda;162483]To be honest this sort of thing gets my blood boiling!!!!!!!! millions of pounds are spent on so called regeneration at the expense of the deer population. I t deprives deer of lowground winter forrage especialy if you take into account the last two winters. Even where fences are in place they are seldom deer proof so its a constant al year drain on the deer population.Its about time that deer were taken as a serious benefiet to the country. not only do they provide sustainable organic food. they provide income from stalking and the offsoot of that to hotels b&bs etc emloyment for stalkers , and attract tourism to the hills. What can be said about thousands of acres of scrubby trees. You cant walk thu them you cant eat them,it costs thousands to try and establish them.[/QUOTE]

Aghhhhhhhhh Paul but you dont see the broader picture for without those scrubby trees you would not enjoy wiping your arse on soft bog paper ,neither would you be able to blow your nose and have to revert back to a soden cloth hankercheif and you would not be getting your very important glossy shooting magazine every week and month or the newspaper to read in a morning or the ***** MFI chipboard furniture to get your arse on and the fuel for your fossil burning power stations thats keeping you scotties warm, compare that to the priorities of making a few bob to certain individuals in the local economy and deer come w ell down the list of priorities mate.

Its not commercial forrestry im gripeing about,it is a good land use that provides employment and a usefull resource. Its the 'natural' regeneration stuff for so called enviromental benefiet ,that the green brigade want to turn back the clock to before the last ice age !!! They are trying to plant trees in places that have had no trees since the ice age and in my opinion are messing up the enviroment reather than enhancing it in these areas. Round me there are thousands of acres that have been put under these schemes which are only there to apease the green lobby. The politicians can say ' Look we have reaforrested a million or so acres of scotland' when in reality they have just created an artifical scrubland.

I would love to know where they get those from that fill such positions of authority. My faith in these organisations was shattered forever during a 'discussion' with a member of the DCS (Deer Commission for Scotland) regarding cull figures they had given me for Sika on our forestry. He was telling me about the estimated numbers and how the population explodes every year, what with Sika hinds all having twins.....

I asked him to clarify what he had just said. He did. I had heard correctly. I suggested he was getting mixed up with the Roe possibly??? He said, 'Oh, am I?

I put the phone down...

@ jamross65 What they should do is give some of these cushy jobs to retired stalkers, shepherds, people who have had lifetimes of experience working IN the landscape and KNOW what they are talking about, rather than someone who was trained sitting on their arse behind a desk It would also make ammends to these folk for the crap wages that they have during their lifetimes work often ageing them prematurely.

15 years at Mar lodge with millions of pounds poured into the place not for commercial but for the public to enjoy. (MY ASS) and the wild life. After so many years and countless HUNDREDS OFthousands of deer shot and still a complete failure of the trees may be some one from government should look at were our money is really going. Mar lodge the play ground for the top men of the big organisations The defuncked DCS BDS BASC Have all had a play around that area and took money for the pleasure. With no concideration for the local people or its industry,s Why because they dont live there and care why would they.

Couldn't agree with you more - i was a ghillie at Mar Lodge years ago - it breaks my heart every time i go back there to see the state of the place - i could go on and on and on but 6pointer nailed it on the head here........

See post from 7/12/2009

At Long Last

Shooting times December the 3rd. National Trust for Scotland has now admited their project to restore the Caledonian Forrest at Mar Lodge has not been successful. After spending £750,000 and culling more than 12,000 Red deer there are virtually no new tree's.
    This was tax payers money spent by an organisation that took no input from the people on the ground. I guess they weren't university graduates so what would they know!
    I think this is a bloody disgrace and the people who instigated this should be brought to account. This is not the only area that this has happened to and as far as I know the results are the same in the others.