Thread: muntjac perish in cold weather

muntjac perish in cold weather

sat 11th after 2 wks of constant cold weather it was shoot day again we the beaters and myself approached a drive which is elephant grass one side of a thick hedge and a large maize strip the other it also has a small pen i put 200 phez in . there are 6 feeders in the pen and hedge line, to supplement this i hand feed with a snacker dropping wheat along the length of the maize .we started the drive and it went very well with a good head of game streaming over the valley to the guns. at the end of the drive one of the lads said a small munty was laying dead in the ele grass on inspection it was a small doe fawn 14 inchs long a real shame no injuries and not too long perished . has anyone found any similar fawns in this cold snap i havent shot any muntys for some time now the last being a nice buck anyhow many thanks

The same question was asked after last years cold snap too. I certainly didn't see any signs. It has been said that a prolonged spell of cold weather back in the 60's killed about half the Munty population which makes you wonder how many there would be now if it hadn't!?
    I'm sure they must be acclimatizing by now after so many generations. I did think last year as I gralloched a very heavily pregnant female (which must have been due to drop any minute) how could a soaking wet fawn survive being dropped into the snow?
    Maybe your fawn was just a natural mortality and nothing to attribute to the cold? It just happens sometimes anyway.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    The same question was asked after last years cold snap too. I certainly didn't see any signs. It has been said that a prolonged spell of cold weather back in the 60's killed about half the Munty population which makes you wonder how many there would be now if it hadn't!?
    I think that was me MS. Back in the 60s the wonders of the evolutionary process must surely have selected those best suited to the cold which left us with a highly robust population. I suspect the current conditions will do likewise. Maybe not as bad a scenario as some might imagine.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Last winter we picked up five dead munty on the estate. I can only put this down to the long cold winter, as none of the stalkers shoot them. Very sad to see, but I guess nature will have it's own way. The estate is about two and a half thousand acres about an hour West of London, so not normally in the extreme ranges of low temperatures. I do wonder if we found five, how many actually perished over all on the estate. I should mention there is a pheasant shoot on the estate so there is plenty of food around.

Norma
    not found any fatalities as yet, and to be honest not expecting too
    yes I can see that a newly dropped kid will of froze to death with-in hours in the last recent cold snap which may well of happened

but you did not comment on wether the munties where shot on the place you shoot
    as that could also of been a major factor

Mark
    only one comment on that
    Munties can't live on wheat alone,
    it can cause the stomach to swell

i do shoot them but as i dont really have a huge problem with them i dont hammer them at all i may stick some mollases blocks out and hope my phezs like em too . it always cheers me up to c a nice munty when i am on my rounds feeding !