Thread: How to prevent hair lose from a skin durring tanning

How to prevent hair lose from a skin durring tanning

I have had several roe skins tanned at the old Moorlands Factory in Bridgewater and they came out very well. Today I picked up 6 roe skins and 4 of them have got bald patches which have really spoilt what were otherwise perfect skins(they were all head/neck shot and had unblemished, intact skins)

The skins were salted straight after skinning and then drained off , re salted and went down to them within a few days. They looked excellent when they were delivered.

Today I dropded of two more roe doe skins, both of which were treated as above and we closely looked at them, they are dry and look OK but they were still sheading hair at this stage.

The factory dont know what the problem could be and my concern at £25 each to tan it is a waste of money if they are not going to turn out well.

Has anybody had same problems or knows of a cure?

Regards

D

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    I have had several roe skins tanned at the old Moorlands Factory in Bridgewater and they came out very well. Today I picked up 6 roe skins and 4 of them have got bald patches which have really spoilt what were otherwise perfect skins(they were all head/neck shot and had unblemished, intact skins)

The skins were salted straight after skinning and then drained off , re salted and went down to them within a few days. They looked excellent when they were delivered.

Today I dropded of two more roe doe skins, both of which were treated as above and we closely looked at them, they are dry and look OK but they were still sheading hair at this stage.

The factory dont know what the problem could be and my concern at £25 each to tan it is a waste of money if they are not going to turn out well.

Has anybody had same problems or knows of a cure?

Regards

D
    Two concerns that I have when I tan winter Roe is to do with the long winter hair. Firstly, as Roe has hollow hair for insulation purposes, it tends to keep the heat in a carcass too long, so that possible bacterial action may start in spots where the carcass has not cooled down fast enogh.

Second, any sort of bruising or rough treatment such as dragging the carcass will result in hair becoming loose at the effected spots.

When I tan, I take the skin off as soon as possible, and salt down with a large amount of salt, I do not tight roll roe skins as that in itself can keep the heat in, rather I put it loosely in a large plastic box with a cut down bread tray in the bottom so the skin isnt lying in the fluid that comes out. Then after 24 hours, shake the salt off, and re-salt, roll up and get to the tanners asap. I avoid washing the skin in any way, as it is virtually impossible to get all the water out again, and skin spoilage is accelerated.

Winter Roe are hard to tan, and as a result, they sometimes do give trouble. Put it this way, if I ever get trouble, it is normally with winter roe. Pain in the backside !!

Hope you find a way out of the problems you have been having.

lakey

PS, they also float in the tan bath and need two full house bricks to weigh each one down !!

This is tough. It very well could be the tannery's fault, or it could be yours. Lakey's comments address some common issues, but there are few more things you can do that will better ensure that the tannery gets 'good' skins.

First, if the skin isn't going to be laid out flat to dry, be sure you fold your skins skin-to-skin regardless of where you intend to store them - freezer or straight to the tannery. And I MEAN that. Don't let the legs or edges 'roll up'. That place will hold liquid, and the hair WILL slip there.

Second, if you don't get all the meat off the hide before you apply the salt, the hair will slip wherever the meat prevents the salt from getting to the skin itself.

Third, after you have finished whatever salting you intend to do and are preparing to store the hide or take it to the tannery, pull on the hair. If it comes out by the roots in clumps, it's GOING TO SLIP at the tannery. When you pull on deer hair, it WILL come out even if the skin is perfect. However, if it is slipping, the hair will come out in clumps and it will have the roots of every hair in the clump. The best way to learn exactly what this looks and feels like is to take a piece of scrap hide that you don't want and let it 'rot' - don't salt it and don't let it dry. In a day or so, you will be able to pull the hair out in handfuls. Once you do that, you will know what 'slipping hair' looks and feels like. From that point on, you will be able to 'test' your hides yourself before you take them to the tannery. A slipping hide isn't necessarily a 'bad thing' (unless it's a cape). You can always have it tanned "hair off" - most people call that 'leather' . I don't know if it's commonly available in Great Britain, but "buckskin" - very soft, yellow-gold-colored leather - is very 'nice'.

I applaud your willingness to spend the effort and money to use more of the animals you take. I too wouldn't want to waste money on slipping hides. However, you can do a lot to prevent slippage. Don't give up!

Regards,
    Paul

Guys,

Thanks for the very usefull replies. Normally I salt the skin down as soon as it comes off. Put it on a pallet and make sure I salt all areas. Use approx 1kg. I normally leave overnight, then shake off any salt /water and then resalt. I then wrap up flesh side to flesh side and whisk off to the tannery as I drive almost past it every day.

The first skin I had done was a winter doe and turned out perfect as did the second. Summer ones havealso been fine. The last 6 were not treated any differently and if anything they were in cold outbuildings/garage.

As a matter of intrest I also picked up a mates skin for him at the same time and that shows a similar problem all be it to a lesser degree.

I cannot help thinking something went wrong in the tannery in this batch.

Many thanks

D

Sounds like there is a real possibility that the tannery is at fault. That happens. Ask them about it. They might even admit it and give you some 'credit'.

Regards
    Paul