recipe ideas needed

bambislayer

We're shooting on Sat and I have 6 squirrels[grey] in the freezer, anyone any ideas for an elevenses snack???

Cook them, strip the meat off and make squirrel spring rolls. Bit of sweet chilli sauce on the side.....delish

Sounds good, meant to say most of the guys have never tried, so it will be a bit of a surprise to some once digested!!!

Squirrel Pasties.

This recipe will make 2 squirrel pasties.

Ingredients.

140g squirrel meat cut into 1cm cubes;

100g sliced potato; 100g sliced swede; 50g diced onion; 30g smoked bacon;

15g chopped hazelnuts; 75g butter;

5g chopped parsley; a good pinch of salt and pepper

Method

· Egg wash edges of pastry circles.

· Place the potato, swede, hazelnuts, parsley and seasoning on to each circle followed by the bacon, squirrel meat and, finally, the onion.

· Place butter in each pasty, then fold over the pastry and crimp the edges.

· Put the pasties on to a greaseproof baking tray, egg wash both pasties well, place in a pre-heated oven at 180C or gas mark 5.

· Bake for 45-50 minutes. The juices should start to boil and the pasties should be able to move on the tray with ease.

Honey Cider Squirrel.

Ingredients.
2 squirrels, halved.
1/2 cup honey, the thicker, the better.
1 pint cider.
2 bay leaves, crushed.
1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp of water.
Method.

Wash and dry the squirrel halves and lay on a broil rack and coat with honey. Broil for 8 minutes about 6 inches from the heat.
Turn them and coat with honey again and broil for 8 more minutes.
Now transfer to a large shallow baking dish and pour in the cider and add the bay leaves.
Put in a pre heated 350C oven, roast for 1 hour.
Strain the juices into a saucepan on a medium heat and add the cornstarch mixture and serve with the squirrel.

basil.

Last edited:
Squirrel Pasties.

This recipe will make 2 squirrel pasties.

Ingredients.

140g squirrel meat cut into 1cm cubes;

100g sliced potato; 100g sliced swede; 50g diced onion; 30g smoked bacon;

15g chopped hazelnuts; 75g butter;

5g chopped parsley; a good pinch of salt and pepper

Method

· Egg wash edges of pastry circles.

· Place the potato, swede, hazelnuts, parsley and seasoning on to each circle followed by the bacon, squirrel meat and, finally, the onion.

· Place butter in each pasty, then fold over the pastry and crimp the edges.

· Put the pasties on to a greaseproof baking tray, egg wash both pasties well, place in a pre-heated oven at 180C or gas mark 5.

· Bake for 45-50 minutes. The juices should start to boil and the pasties should be able to move on the tray with ease.

basil.

Right, I am going to go find some squirrels next time I get a chance, that sounds brilliant. (mind you, I'd eat a tractor if you put it in a pasty)

Back