Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder scales

Powder scales

After looking around for something better than the usual beam scale and wanting to experiment with I found some 0.001g to 20g (units g, ct, gr) on BSbay 16 delivered!!!
    Oh and they work!!!!

Nice one Alan, they sound the dogs dangley bits, was it a one off sale or are there any more ? What is BSbay or is it a pet name for e-bay ?
    By the way got me a skype phone, camera will be next.
    Went to have a look at some pups yesterday, was going to have one, ended up putting deposit on two, they will be ready for collection in a fortnights time, well chuffed.....callie

Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    After looking around for something better than the usual beam scale and wanting to experiment with I found some 0.001g to 20g (units g, ct, gr) on BSbay 16 delivered!!!
    Oh and they work!!!!
    Hmmm whilst I glad your happy with your new electronic scales I cannot help wondering how they can really measure any better than a good set of beam scales. I did consider sending for a set of electronic scales as another member posted about them some months back but came to the conclusion that they would not anything better than the beam scales I already have and they don't require batteries.

I was wondering about those but thought to cheap to be any good, especially when you look at the price of a RCBS or similar.

Brit, got to agree, but scales that go down to .001 of a gram have got to be good and they must be quicker than faffing about with beam scales, my Lee scales are very accurate but I do believe, that, if as accurate as stated ( and I don't doubt Alan unless it's an early April Fools Day wind up)they've got to be the way forward....callie

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Hmmm whilst I glad your happy with your new electronic scales I cannot help wondering how they can really measure any better than a good set of beam scales. I did consider sending for a set of electronic scales as another member posted about them some months back but came to the conclusion that they would not anything better than the beam scales I already have and they don't require batteries.
    Ok see where you are coming from, I will be checking them for accuracy and repeatability at the weekend, but first impression they are good.
    Beam scales have to be set up carefully and for repeatability need to be at a level that does not introduce a viewing error (not wishing to teach one to suck eggs) they also need to be dismantled and stored in a box when not in use. One last point, they are mechanical in nature and the knife edges DO wear out. Cannot say that I'm worried about 4aaa batteries! I was looking for an analytical balance saw these and took a punt...so far so good!!

Callie.... Linky

Quote Originally Posted by callie View Post
    Nice one Alan, they sound the dogs dangley bits, was it a one off sale or are there any more ? What is BSbay or is it a pet name for e-bay ?
    By the way got me a skype phone, camera will be next.
    Went to have a look at some pups yesterday, was going to have one, ended up putting deposit on two, they will be ready for collection in a fortnights time, well chuffed.....callie
    Good one Pat, let me know when you are up and running!

Hmmm I leave my Lyman scales set up on the shelf where I use them. I do have another set of older C-H non damped scales which are in their box and are used occasionaly to double check the Lyman ones. The laymans take secons to set .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Hmmm I leave my Lyman scales set up on the shelf where I use them. I do have another set of older C-H non damped scales which are in their box and are used occasionaly to double check the Lyman ones. The laymans take secons to set .
    I have RCBS but never leave them set-up.
    I do not own anything Lyman so will not comment, but would imagine that a beam scale is a beam scale mechanical and prone to wear & 'gumming' up.
    Not having a go! As for the cheap as chips rinky dink scales.... you takes your choice... they work!
    cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by callie View Post
    Brit, got to agree, but scales that go down to .001 of a gram have got to be good and they must be quicker than faffing about with beam scales, my Lee scales are very accurate but I do believe, that, if as accurate as stated ( and I don't doubt Alan unless it's an early April Fools Day wind up)they've got to be the way forward....callie
    Callie, as most bench rest shooters measure powder by volume on the range with powder throwers, and use them unchecked by scales, it makes me wonder why one would want to measure to that degree of accuracy when it is proven to be unnecessary for accurate shooting?

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.