Jerky making

I use a dehydrator to make my own venison biltong (the African version of jerky) - I picked it up cheap on Ebay and it's a great bit of kit. After a bit of experimentation, 10 hours at 145 degrees Farenheit makes perfect biltong strips. I use the commercial marinade sold by Scobies but add about 100g of additional crushed coriander seeds (and a pinch of dried chilli too) to each 500g batch of marinade powder.

The finished product keeps for months if you vacuum pack it - I'm completely addicted to the stuff and I now make a salt free version for my dogs. I also use the dehydrator to dry strips of venison liver, heart, tongue etc as training aids for my very greedy GWP - cheaper than buying the stuff at the local pet shop and uses up any offal that I don't want for myself.

A.

Last edited:
cheats jerky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i tried it and its ace worth the cash

just mince and one of these.

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/nostyles.php?ProductID=346906&ClassID=140

tried it with , beef, lamb, pigeon, venison....ANYTHING AND ITS GREAT!!!!

you get 2 nozzles with it and one is flat strip other is round like pepperami...flat strip i think s better.
just squeeze out onto wifes baking tray rack once mixed with seasoning and cure (1 supplied rest off of evilbay )

1hour in low oven (100C) then turn over and another hour n a quarter, then leave out to cool

DONE!!!!!

P6250017.jpg

P6250016.jpg

yeah im a lzy git but this stuff is ace with apint in yer hand and nibbling!!

sauer / paul

I wouldnt bother bothing anything fancy to make Biltong. All that is required is a wooden box with a rail in that you can hang the strips of marinated meat off...which must not touch each other or the sides of the box... there must be insect proof ventilation in the sides of the box at the top and a 100 watt bulb at the bottom of the box in a bulb holder protected from the juice of the meat. This will produce moist biltong in 3 days or dryer in 5...tastes lovely when done.

Pete

cheats jerky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i tried it and its ace worth the cash

just mince and one of these.

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/nostyles.php?ProductID=346906&ClassID=140

tried it with , beef, lamb, pigeon, venison....ANYTHING AND ITS GREAT!!!!

you get 2 nozzles with it and one is flat strip other is round like pepperami...flat strip i think s better.
just squeeze out onto wifes baking tray rack once mixed with seasoning and cure (1 supplied rest off of evilbay )

1hour in low oven (100C) then turn over and another hour n a quarter, then leave out to cool

DONE!!!!!

P6250017.jpg

P6250016.jpg

yeah im a lzy git but this stuff is ace with apint in yer hand and nibbling!!

sauer / paul

Was wondering about one of these, will give it a go.

My mate makes jerky from goose- fantastic

Back