Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Vocal BMH

  1. #1

    Vocal BMH

    My BMH is now 13months old. He is very true to his breed, tracks well, extremely loyal, perfect stalking companion and is full of character. Only problem with him is that over the last while he has become very vocal whilst in the vehicle if passing another dog. He can either spot or sense another dogs presence when driving past them and the barking starts. At home if he barks an "enough" is sufficient to quieten him. Back of the landrover and he will not give in till the other dog is out of sight. He is not aggressive towards other dogs. If caged in the back he is fine but I just don't have the room to cage him and have three spaniels in there as well.

    Not a real problem as such but just wondered is this common in the breed. He even growls at the tv if a dog appears but if he met the same dog would want to play around with it. He has been well socialised with other dogs and does not bark at deer prior to shot.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    My BMH is now 13months old. He is very true to his breed, tracks well, extremely loyal, perfect stalking companion and is full of character. Only problem with him is that over the last while he has become very vocal whilst in the vehicle if passing another dog. He can either spot or sense another dogs presence when driving past them and the barking starts. At home if he barks an "enough" is sufficient to quieten him. Back of the landrover and he will not give in till the other dog is out of sight. He is not aggressive towards other dogs. If caged in the back he is fine but I just don't have the room to cage him and have three spaniels in there as well.

    Not a real problem as such but just wondered is this common in the breed. He even growls at the tv if a dog appears but if he met the same dog would want to play around with it. He has been well socialised with other dogs and does not bark at deer prior to shot.
    ooohhh yes i got one of them too !

    it all started when xena saw a cat from the back of the truck and started to bark , now its dogs who come near the truck too . but she only barks at home when some one comes around the back of the house and walks past her kennel !

    cheers lee

    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

    please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

  3. #3
    Would it be worth sitting in the back with him and as soon as be barks, check him !!!

    Regards
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

  4. #4
    His sister does the same, I have taken to skooshing her with a plant spray which seems to stop her, she dislikes animals on the tv, the postie and other dogs when were out in the car. Personally I think she just likes the sound of her own voice!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunting View Post
    Would it be worth sitting in the back with him and as soon as be barks, check him !!!

    Regards
    Good as my spaniels are none of them has a drivers licence so sitting in the back is out LOL

    Seriously, if I did want to stop it I could but as well as barking at dogs he also lets rip if a stranger comes near the motor. He sounds an awful lot bigger than he is so I'll just let it be.

  6. #6
    Simple he is guarding the truck mine does the same even if my mate leaves a note on my truck when we are stalking and he has known her since a pup.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Good as my spaniels are none of them has a drivers licence so sitting in the back is out LOL

    Seriously, if I did want to stop it I could but as well as barking at dogs he also lets rip if a stranger comes near the motor. He sounds an awful lot bigger than he is so I'll just let it be.
    You have asked how to stop the dog barking. "now you say you could stop it if you want too".
    So what is your post about.
    Do you want me to know you have BMH or that BMH are highlystrung and / or they have problems
    Am pleased you have BMH
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

  8. #8
    Trufflehunting, Sorry if you have misunderstood but if you read my original post again I only ask if this is common in the breed, I did not ask how to stop it although I did sat initially say that it was a problem. I asked this as I know that there are several members with BMH's and in fact some who own a dog from the same litter as mine. These dogs have numerous quirks.
    No I did not write it to inform you that I have a BMH, my BMH is not highly strung in fact being a hound he is quite laid back.
    I apologise if I have offended you in some way.

  9. #9
    My BMH is now 5 years old, and he has over the past year or so become protective of his home range, he does bark at strangers coming to the house or any noise, but then most dogs do that anyway. However the only time he will bark in the truck is when we leave the B/B in Sussex. He will bark at the owners dogs, but then he is not in his Lintran travelling box at the time.

    Other than that he is a big softy, except when it comes to deer

    I am biased I know, but he is the best dog I have had by far.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    I am biased I know, but he is the best dog I have had by far.
    Having owned and worked numerous breeds of dogs over the last almost 40 years I have never owned a dog like a BMH and although I cannot say as yet that he is the best dog I have ever had he certainly is something else. He has been a real eye opener in that imo you cannot train him like you would a spaniel or shepherd but they respond very well if you work with them as a partnership. They seem to know what is required and are quick to learn but can be stubborn as a mule. Like the barking in the landrover - I know you want me to be quiet but I think I should be barking so I'll just carry on.

Similar Threads

  1. BMH advert
    By Dan Newcombe in forum Deer Dogs & Tracking
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 21-10-2010, 21:19
  2. For Sale Bmh
    By fieldgun in forum Dogs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-10-2010, 18:56
  3. For Sale BMH Pups available to suitable homes
    By deertracker in forum Dogs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-07-2010, 10:55
  4. BMH Pup - training so far
    By Weather Witch in forum Deer Dogs & Tracking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-07-2010, 11:54
  5. My BMH at 18 Weeks
    By Gazza in forum Deer Dogs & Tracking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-03-2010, 19:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •