Thread: Accuracy aids

Accuracy aids

Just downloaded Swarovski's FREE software, they have some simple ballistic calculators, each one tailored to a specific scope and reticle type,optional target species menu, will be trying these out tomorrow, & evaluate them against the known performance of the rifles going to the quarry.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I like these programs and store the results on my iPhone.

Since writing the article I have changed to Dropbox for storing PC files on the iPhone.

Rgds JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 18-12-2010 at 10:06. Reason: Added Dropbox.

Account Suspended
    I have used a number of these software programs and the one I am currently using is the Nightforce Exbal software. To be totally honest they are all very very similar and the data is very close with each one. I have found through trial and error that the very best way to work out the drop of your bullets is to use the software to get you close and then to fine tune it with real live data that has been collated in the field. This is especially important when shooting at extended ranges at smaller targets. A .25MOA error on elevation at 600yds will give you a very minimum of 1.5" off target, add to this the other variables that will occur and your shot is soon a mile off target. If however your shooting deer sized targets at sub 400yds then .25MOA error is nothing really.

Something that really surprised me when I started analyzing drop chart data was how far out some BC figures are. Hornady are one manufacturer that really overstate their BC figures. The 6mm 87 grain V-Max is supposed to be .4 and my experiences are that it is nothing close to it. It is a fantastic long range varmint round but its BC in my rifle is nearer .35 than .4.

I think there are far more important aids to accuracy that software programs and they are as follows.

1. Wind Meter. ( Some people just have not got a clue how much wind affects shots at range)
    2. Rangefinder ( Some peoples are just useless as estimating distances...me included)
    3. Decent trigger ( If the trigger on your rifle is crap, so will be your shooting)
    4. Good tried and tested ammo. ( factory ammo very rarely shoots good at extended distances compared to homeloads)
    Last edited by robbobsam; 18-12-2010 at 11:48.

3. Decent trigger ( If the trigger on your rifle is crap, so will be your shooting)
    , I'm going to put my head on the block here, Either Iv'e never experienced a "bad" trigger, or it doesn't affect my shooting, I squeeze triggers, I don't pull them.......... so I cant see what the problem is on this one.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    , I'm going to put my head on the block here, Either Iv'e never experienced a "bad" trigger, or it doesn't affect my shooting, I squeeze triggers, I don't pull them.......... so I cant see what the problem is on this one.
    My groups with my CZ 452 .22LR went from 1" groups to .5" groups when I changed it to a brooks trigger and that was with a .22lr, if a larger caliber rifle had an equally crap trigger I am certain it would have the same effect on group sizes and accuracy.

Crap triggers certain do affect accuracy, triggers for me need to be light and crisp.

Finn you should ahve tried shooting the old .303 Martini Enfield AC11 I had the trigger pull broke like a glass rod once you got the pressure to about 15lbs that is. it was said the troops never noticed the heavy pull when facing charging fuzzy wuzzy with the bloody great spear . That Mortini's present own has not noticed the very heavy pull because I swopped the sear for one from a Bonehill .22 conversion so now it's only about 5lbs.

Also should you evey get the chance to shoot a Mosin nagant do so some off them have a trigger whilst not heavy have about 1/4" of gritty rough drag and one is never quite sure at what point it will let go.

Mate you have been spoilt with your sporting arms and need to try soe old military surplus. Poor ones at that as good ones are very good.

My mate got a nagant. And as you say it feels like the trigger pull goes for ever and is not smooth and you never really know when it will go bang. Now his mauser k98 on the other hand has a really nice trigger.

I'm not " waiting" for the trigger/s to break, they break when your finger can't come any further back,................ aim, hold, squeeze, OH Nice one it's down!

I'm not " waiting" for the trigger/s to break, they break when your finger can't come any further back,................ aim, hold, squeeze, OH Nice one it's down!
    i have to agree with you there !

ive fired all sorts of rifles (accept a double) and i just look down the scope breathe and squeese simple as that !

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.