Should I...

User00003

Noticed a Doe on my grounds with two kids. One is in significantly better condition than the other, both from this year, and the other in pretty poor condition.

Given that I am trying to increase the roe deer population on my grounds, should I leave both in the hope the weak one survives, or would it be better to cull the weak one and leave the stronger kid with the doe?

+1 on TJ. By taking out the weakling, the mother and stronger youngster will do better. If you manage a healthy bunch of animals, the population will sort itself out.

take the weaker one, the stonger kid will benefit more from one on one parenting with the doe, also the doe will have a easier time too especially if charlie comes sniffing round and she has to defend two and the stronger kid can run as fast as her anyways.
like fisherman said, select your weaker/poorer animals cull them and the population will take care of itself.

Generally speaking, you would look the beast over, & check out it's condition with the glass, first impressions are usually a good indicator of how things are going, comparison with it's sibling, any visible signs of damage, or unsteadiness, just the stuff that made you think it was a little behind in progress?

You do not mention the sex of the kids.
If you are as you say wanting to increase the roe population and the stronger sibling is a buck and the smaller one a doe, there is not much point shooting the doe kid. If both are does leave them, if ones a buck whether stronger or not it doesnt matter.
You may be concerened however that to shoot male deer out of season is unlawful unless to end suffering or you are about to, or already have deprived it of its mother(which you havent).You may however be able to shoot out of season?.
You also do not mention where you are geographically, and what type of ground this family of roe frequents. Both factors add relevance to the "cull or not" dilema.
Regards
S.

I was faced with the same situation on Sunday morning, I opted to take the weaker of the twin does. With the bleak weather conditions continuing, leading to less available food the chances of survival are greater for the remaining youngster.

If the weak one is a buck then your only "legal" recourse is to then shoot the mother...

Does(n't) help, I know.

Stan

I am in the camp of what sex is the kid some times doe kids look a good deal smaller than there male counterparts. I would look at the sex and if the stronger one was a buck it would go and then the doe kid could get all the benifit of the big doe it would come on a treat you would then have two does and more deer.
I am in scotland an have no problems shooting kids of any sex.

If the weak one is a buck then your only "legal" recourse is to then shoot the mother...

Does(n't) help, I know.

Stan

I thought you could shoot either if they are still dependent on their mother, regardless of sex.

@6pointer I assume you mean Roe kids as oppose to shooting any kids in Scotland :rolleyes:

If it is an area that you are regularly watching, I'd be tempted to do nothing for a short while and just see how things pan out if this cold weather continues. If the weaker deer became even more so, or the stronger of the two started to decline in health then I'd immediately take the weaker.

If you visit infrequently, and have serious health concerns for the weaker - I'd cull it now (dependant on sex and season).

DC

GarethW,

You can shoot an attendant buck kid out if season if you have or are about to deprive it of its mother.

Stan

That makes it a tool for you to solve your deer management plan buck kid taken big doe runs off with doe kid increace in stock. But if you are in scotland you can shoot kids of any sex untill the first of april they are just kids and have no sex then on the first bucks become bucks and are also in season pour wee buggers.

GarethW,

You can shoot an attendant buck kid out if season if you have or are about to deprive it of its mother.

Stan

Or if you are doing it to prevent suffering as you believe it is injured or diseased - in the example given, one animal significantly weaker/less developed than its twin, that could be a reasonable assumption.

Back