Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako 85 barrel length?

Sako 85 barrel length?

Hello Folks.
    I think I may be about to order a Sako 85 laminated stainless in 6.5x55.
    GMK are telling me it has a 20" barrel and I am still waiting for the gunshop to phone
    back with the price.
    What barrel lengths are you all using? I was hoping for longer.
    How are you getting on if you have 20" barrel?

ATB-Bryan.

Hi i have a T3 Hunter .25-06 and have to admit i tried to get GMK to sorce one with a 23"+ Barrel NO Chance was my reply, having now got it i love it to bit's A-TEC-4MM-AL Mod its a Joy to stalk with. At the moment i have found no problems, Kill's Red's an Fallow just as far as my 24" Sauer .25-06.

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
    Hello Folks.
    GMK are telling me it has a 20" barrel and I am still waiting for the gunshop to phone
    back with the price.

ATB-Bryan.
    Shot both sako 75 in .243 and tikka in 6.5x55 with 20" barrells, and don't see any reason for longer - both very accurate within the ethical killing range

Account Suspended
    Hello Folks.
    back with the price.

ATB-Bryan.

The 20" (510mm) version is the short one but there's also a 22 7/16" (570mm) version.

Got a Sako 85 with a factory screw cut barrel....it's 20inch. I fitted a Jet-z mod and the set-up is well balanced and accurate. You will loose a few fps so if you worry about that sort of thing get a longer barrel (or a "bigger" gun)

Regards

Hello Folks.
    back with the price.

ATB-Bryan.
    Hello Guys.
    I ordered the rifle on friday and had a phone call today(saturday) that it is at the gunshop
    waiting for me.
    I will buy ammo to bring away and some bullets.
    I already have an unopened pot of vit n140.
    What bullets should I look for? This is for playing at the ranges and foxes and munties.
    I am looking for one expanding bullet for both quarry species.
    I would appreciate any advise I can get from those of you that have the experience-6.5x55 20" Sako 85.
    ATB-Bryan.

I have a Sako 85 with a 20" barrel and have developed very accurate loads with both 100gn and 120gn Nosler BTs. But using IMR4350 in 120gn and H4350 in 100gns so don't know how they will work with vit n140. 100 gn load doing 2820 fps and 120gn doing 2650 fps. Can get 100gn load to about 2900 fps, but seemed a bit hot for me especially as I prefer a moderate load so I can just neck resize.

Normally the 20" barrel is the factory threaded barrel option. My .30-06 is 20" with the "MT" short threaded barrel option. The first thing I do before ordering a rifle is to get onto the manufacturer's web site and look at the specifications. You'll be surprised how often the dealer is 'mistaken' when it comes to passing on what options are and are not available!

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/85HunterLaminatedSS.pdf

Alex

My Sako has a twenty inch barrel also (.308) and there's one point that should be made, it's bloody loud especially on an indoor range. I have never bothered with moderators on full bore rifles before, but will have to get one for this rifle. The Sako is loud to the point of being unpleasant. It is even louder than my 8x57 which also has short barrels of similar length - maybe its the powder that I'm using? I will have to try it with other powders to see if that has any effect on reducing the report.

..What bullets should I look for? This is for playing at the ranges and foxes and munties........
    Bryan.

I like these:

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: .264 6.5mm

129 SP flat base for hunting, 140 AMax for practice. Also

Sierra Bullets - The Bulletsmiths

142 SMK for practice.

Good luck. JCS