Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dvla missing

dvla missing

telephoned DVLA today at 2 o'clock ,to try and register my quad for road legal,message on phone informed me that due to adverse weather conditions DVLA is now closed. I wonder what the real reason for closing is.All employees are working on the snow ploughs.xmas party in progress.went home due to EU health and safety rules????

Its a goverment agency we only pay for it so fxxk the public
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
    telephoned DVLA today at 2 o'clock ,to try and register my quad for road legal,message on phone informed me that due to adverse weather conditions DVLA is now closed. I wonder what the real reason for closing is.All employees are working on the snow ploughs.xmas party in progress.went home due to EU health and safety rules????

The snow down here is chronic, 10 inches in central Cardiff - a low ground area and with more on the way too ! Car sumps are cutting furrows through the snow !!! The DVLA employees are mostly Swansea valley commando's from surrounding higher ground area's, they would have no chance getting there and if they did with the fall this afternoon certainly would not make it home today.

Being in the nightclub trade our "Black Friday" has been ruined, it shall henceforth be called "White Friday" ! We have had 600 meals cancelled today and our takings forecast is a distant memory now, We'll lose around 30-35k today. Yes that's right, 35k in lost custom !!! Everybody is asking for refunds, we have offered alternative dates due to the fact THEY cannot get to us, we are open and ready to go.....so no f*kkn refunds !

Ahhh, I feel better getting that off my chest

All the best

Ade
    HOW MANY HALF TRUTHS MAKE A STORY.....ALL OF THEM.....JUST NOT THE WHOLE STORY !

I work as a GP next to the DVLA, 90 % of our staff made it in
    3 years ago the DVLA which employs 7000 people had 60 % sick rates, that is 60 % of its employees went on the sick every year. This year it has dropped to 40 %. They have a system whereby your first 6 months are at full pay and the next 6 months sick are at 1/2 pay. They are heavily unionised
    They have a website which is months out of date with the wrong tel numbers and has a broken complaints system that is ignored (I know it is ignored because one of my patients has told me who works there),
    that costs hundreds of thousands to maintain and set up. Try it yourself. Type in DVLA and click on contact & try and leave feedback. Look at the last update date (March)
    It is virtually impossible to speak to a humanoid on the phone & all you get is a endless pick list of telephone options, and when eventually you do get through to the right number you get a message stating that you have to try later aaaaaarrrggh!!!!!!!!
    The DVLA is unfortunately typical of many public services that need to be reformed. They have no work ethic and do not realise how fortunate they are having jobs on the back of private sector taxpayers
    Last edited by rodkayak; 18-12-2010 at 08:39.

Ahhh Velkom to Zestate Comrade

Heck I'll even move to Sarf Wales for a cushy Number like that .

I was a senior manager in the public sector for about 6 years, I inherited sick rates of almost 15% and on closer inspection I found a heavy bias towards Monday and Fridays. I wanted to introduce a bonus scheme that required attendance on Monday morning and Friday afternoon to qualify for the full benefit. During the negotiations the unions asked if I was accusing their members of swinging the lead and I said that I was afraid that I was. I got my way and guess what - sickness rates dropped to 3% almost overnight. The union never raised the issue again!!

If you have a system that keeps you on full pay for self certificated sickness for such a long time it's really human nature for many to cash in and the sight of a fair bit of snow is going to keep many at home for no financial penalty. On the other side of the coin my wife has driven 15 miles to work for 6 per hour this morning through 6" of lying snow because she can't afford to lose the pay!!
    Last edited by paul k; 18-12-2010 at 09:08.

Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    I was a senior manager in the public sector for about 6 years, I inherited sick rates of almost 15% and on closer inspection I found a heavy bias towards Monday and Fridays. I wanted to introduce a bonus scheme that required attendance on Monday morning and Friday afternoon to qualify for the full benefit. During the negotiations the unions asked if I was accusing their members of swinging the lead and I said that I was afraid that I was. I got my way and guess what - sickness rates dropped to 3% almost overnight. The union never raised the issue again!!
    If you have a system that keeps you on full pay for self certificated sickness for such a long time it's really human nature for many to cash in and the sight of a fair bit of snow is going to keep many at home for no financial penalty. On the other side of the coin my wife has driven 15 miles to work for 6 per hour this morning through 6" of lying snow because she can't afford to lose the pay!!
    You had to give them a bonus to come to work I would have done it the other way, a reduction in pay if they didn't and double reduction if it was a Monday or Friday absence

Why introduce a bonus scheme for coming to work?? They should have had their pay docked. I cannot see the sense in bribing people to do what they have already been paid for ?

It was against my personal philosophy but I needed to get man hours in the workshop and by paying a bonus that related to work output as well as attendance I achieved a net benefit. You sometimes need to be pragmatic in life and in reality with such a strong union presence there is no way that you'd ever get a pay-docking regime introduced bearing in mind that the sick pay scheme itself couldn't be taken away. Not only would I have to get the union to agree but it would have to be sanctioned by the Labour led council and that again limits what can be done. What I was doing was persuading people that it was more beneficial to come to work on a Monday morning and to stay on Friday combined with an increase in output rather than call in sick and get paid anyway.

Also bear in mind with the original position of having 15% of the workforce home "ill" at any one time I was paying overtime or employing additonal people to cover the work as well as paying the wages of those at home. It really was a "no brainer" despite being against the grain.

I can appreciate what it is like. I am going to get staff if they say they cannot make a 1 mile car journey in the suburbs