Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter wonder land

Winter wonder land

I went out to cut a couple of Christmas trees this morning. I have thousands of trees but its hard to find a decent shaped Christmas tree.
    Its snowing again and there is plenty of Moose tracks out in the forest. Several areas of pine had been browsed hard by the moose.
    The snow was a bit to deep so i drove out on my trusty tractor and cleared the track out over the forest.
    The snow is to deep now to hunt anything with the dogs and as this weather is likely to carry on past the end of the hunting season i think that is it for this year.
    Sånt är livet

Jagare,

We have a saying in Wales "Eira man, eira mawr. Eira mawr, eira bach" which, in translation reads "Fine snow, big snow. Big snow, little snow". The implication is that fine snowflakes usually mean a good fall is likely whereas large flakes indicate a small fall. We had a lot of eira bach here yesterday!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 18.12.2010 002.jpg   18.12.2010 001.jpg   18.12.2010 005.jpg  
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    The snow was a bit to deep so i drove out on my trusty tractor and cleared the track out over the forest.
    Those chains look good, I've never seen snow chains on a tractor before!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Jagare

That looks wonderful. I have been lucky enough to have visited many parts of Scandinavia on business and it remains one of my favourite destinations....even if it can be quite expensive to have a drink

Perhaps you might have heard that we had some snow yesterday here in the UK. Not much (by your standards) and not unexpected - it had been forecast all week. Unlike in Scandinavia, our entire infrastructure seems to have gone into a state of collapse

Being hardy sporting souls we were still determined to get to our game shoot. The day lasted for four drives and then we called it a day.

I was trying to get home from Oxford, a drive which normally takes about 40 minutes. Instead we arrived at home 3.25 hours later. Since Friday I have not seen one gritter, one snowplough.....nothing.

This is one of our main roads (the A40), to show you how well we cope with the white stuff:

Embarassing or what.....

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Geat pictures,nice tractor what sort of age is it,I restore classic Massey Fergusons at work ALL THE BEST

Now that's a lot of snow........................... we have none, zilch, nada . Forst yes, ice yes but no snow. Oh and we did see a gritter yesterday and shock horror there was one came down our road last week that the second time we have seen a gritter here in 25 years. We can only assume that it was lost. Typically we have also done more miles in thsi fouls wether than we would normally cover in four months. Travelling to the hospital evry day and sometime twice a day is something we are not used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwrch View Post
    Jagare,

We have a saying in Wales "Eira man, eira mawr. Eira mawr, eira bach" which, in translation reads "Fine snow, big snow. Big snow, little snow". The implication is that fine snowflakes usually mean a good fall is likely whereas large flakes indicate a small fall. We had a lot of eira bach here yesterday!
    Likewise......

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Jagare

That looks wonderful. I have been lucky enough to have visited many parts of Scandinavia on business and it remains one of my favourite destinations....even if it can be quite expensive to have a drink

Perhaps you might have heard that we had some snow yesterday here in the UK. Not much (by your standards) and not unexpected - it had been forecast all week. Unlike in Scandinavia, our entire infrastructure seems to have gone into a state of collapse

Being hardy sporting souls we were still determined to get to our game shoot. The day lasted for four drives and then we called it a day.

I was trying to get home from Oxford, a drive which normally takes about 40 minutes. Instead we arrived at home 3.25 hours later. Since Friday I have not seen one gritter, one snowplough.....nothing.

This is one of our main roads (the A40), to show you how well we cope with the white stuff:

Embarassing or what.....

willie_gunn
    Embarrassing ..... yes..... but at least still moving, which is more than other places were doing!

snow is cool, the deer are easy to find. No rifle just a camera.

i have to agree that the roads in the uk aren't properly delt with in bad weather compared to our European brothers, but we have rarely had weather like this and therefore aren't geared up for it. the amount of people who are complaining about the snow and ice on the pavements outside there door, and there local street is embarrasing. people must get up off there pamperd arses and for once take some ressponsablity themselves and sort it out. we are far to reliant on the authorites to come to our rescue when things get a bit middling, so much for a stiff upper lip, its seems to tremble everytime a grey cloud shows up