Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Tips?

Any Tips?

Hello I've just joined this excellent site and have just booked my first day's stalking with John from YDS,so I'm just after a few pointers really any do's and don'ts really looking forward to it
    Thanks Jase.

Mkae sure you relax mate and enjoy what your doing be happy to follow jons lead and remeber for the most time you will be just looking and looking and looking. Do n ot offer him a tip as he gets up set by that.Its like offering and catholic orange lillys PS Best of luck i am sure you will do fine.

Yes... when you shoot I hope you hear 'good shot' which will most certainly be followed by the word 'reload' so be prepared to.

good luck !

hi jase ask lots of questions as john will give you as much info as you wish and yes relax you will enjoy it more let us know how you get on ,atb wayne

jase,

good luck with john when you go and i hope you get to hear these famous words

GOOD SHOT RELOAD

Let us know how you do, your in good hands.

f,

Thanks for the kind words lads,I will definitely post how I get on good or bad.
    Jase.

Jase

from my own experiences as a newbie
    just follow the lead regardless
    John will know his deer and ground better than you
    his intentions are to make money as that is why he sells his time , effort and deer
    but to do this, he has to put you in the right area , in the right situation and in front of deer , where you are happy to pull the trigger
    that is not easy, trust me
    so allow him to do his job and you will benefit from it
    I do think thou you will learn more from this than you actually realise at the time
    so try and relax and enjoy the whole experience,
    if you hear those Infamous words
    GOOD SHOT RELOAD then you know you will hav done good
    just enjoy it fella
    and hope you do well

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Jase

Just to add my two pen'th to the excellent advice above.

You are going out stalking, but take in everything else that you see and do during the day. You'll have seen from many of the posts on this site that taking the shot is often just a small part of the day - enjoy the whole experience of being out with someone who knows the deer and knows their ground. Try to watch what John does, how he glasses the country, how he uses the country when approaching deer, etc. You will learn a lot.

Oh yes, I should have mentioned; turn up on time, wear appropriate clothing, turn your mobile to silent once you start, bring a camera, don't be afraid to ask questions, tell him (quietly ) if you see a deer before he does.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Jase

Just to add my two pen'th to the excellent advice above.

You are going out stalking, but take in everything else that you see and do during the day. You'll have seen from many of the posts on this site that taking the shot is often just a small part of the day - enjoy the whole experience of being out with someone who knows the deer and knows their ground. Try to watch what John does, how he glasses the country, how he uses the country when approaching deer, etc. You will learn a lot.

Oh yes, I should have mentioned; turn up on time, wear appropriate clothing, turn your mobile to silent once you start, bring a camera, don't be afraid to ask questions, tell him (quietly ) if you see a deer before he does.

willie_gunn
    Will do mate ,I'm taking all the advice given on board and hoping it will be the first of many day's stalking,I'm like a kid waiting for christmas day
    Jase

I am no expert, most of my stalking is with a small group of friends. But i have booked a few days and a few things seem to be the same with each day. Each time, as the day started the stalker has asked how much ammunition i have with me. I know in most cases you will only be taking a shot or two but i think it must annoy stalkers if you dont have enough with you to zero your rifle should it need it. Even though my rifle luckily has been fine each time i think they must get folks turning up with only a single mag full or similar. I think it helps also to be prepared, and in each case i have phoned before the day and asked what the plan was and what i should take.

I think another thing to do is be honest with your experience levels and ask questions if you dont know what to do. Again i have been lucky, i told my stalkers where i stalk and that my experience is all roe shooting. They were superb, and explaned everything that we saw, what we did and why. I learned so much. I think now i would be quite confident in taking one of the reds that appear from time to time on my land, whereas before i probably would not have been.

I plan to take days throughout 2011 and the aim is for my shooting friends (4 of us) to take each species of deer available in the UK. I guess it will probably only be two of us who will actually get round all the species due to work, so we are looking for everything except roe and red. I plan to book days through the year, every couple of months, so i always have something to look forward to!!!

Anyone who can help or advise please get in contact

Cheers

dave