Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEO visit?

FEO visit?

Aoout a year ago i applied for a second .22 rim fire on my certificate, within a month it was back and the new rifle had been approved with no visit or phone call.

I have just applied for additional rifles again, a 30-06 and a 25-06, i allready have a 308. I am not asking for any aditional conditions as i allready have boar and deer on my cert.

What do you think the chances of this application being approved with out a visit, as in theory it is the same priciple as my .22 application.

Regards steve

I can only relate what would be a good starting point, if applying in Cheshire, firstly satisfy them why you NEED, not want the further rifles/calibres,.... as you already have a deer calibre. A visit will probably materialise if only to view your security measures. If you get by without further scrutiny, think yourself one of those lucky people who should consider buying a couple of Lotto tickets! Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Finn, I disagree. You don't have to prove "need". The granting of the extra rifles should present no greater risk than the current, so they should grant it with no problem as long as the security is in order. Of course that would be the common sense approach, so I'd anticipate all sorts of issues with it!

We "have" to do whatever your local f.e.o.'s cook up,.................. that is until someone, somewhere's, who has enough Gelt, and /or the balls to go with, takes them to task!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    Finn, I disagree. You don't have to prove "need". The granting of the extra rifles should present no greater risk than the current, so they should grant it with no problem as long as the security is in order. Of course that would be the common sense approach, so I'd anticipate all sorts of issues with it!
    If you don't have to prove need you are very lucky, certainly in my area you would as for two rifles of the same calibre thats a very big no here, although I did get that after a big struggle took about a year and I had a very good reason
    for having two of the same calibre.

I concur with Boggies experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    If you don't have to prove need you are very lucky, certainly in my area you would as for two rifles of the same calibre thats a very big no here, although I did get that after a big struggle took about a year and I had a very good reason
    for having two of the same calibre.
    I agree with bogtrotter.

When I already held a FAC for a .270 they wanted to see me when I applied for a .17hmr and .243. I clearly had reason enough to have a .270 so why not a .243 or .17hmr?

I posed a question about having a second .22lr as I wanted one specifially with a NV set up. This was not agreed to and it was suggested I have to re mount and re zero each time!!!! Hence why I said, fine I will have .17hmr instead. Strange how they were happy for me to have another rim fire but not of the same calibre?!?!?
    Last edited by 270Buck; 20-12-2010 at 20:06.

Strange how they were happy for me to have another rim fire but not of the same calibre?!?!?
    So much for their hidden agenda of non proliferation of private firearms ownership!

You have to show 'good reason', not 'need', to possess the each rifle on your FAC.

Is fitting a .22LR with NV not a 'good reason' to possess a second one? I think I'd be writing to the FEO explaining my reasons for thinking it a good reason, and asking for their reasons, in writing, for thinking it isn't.

Always, everything in writing.

Need is usually construed as a genuine requirement, therefore a good reason / reasoning.