The best binoculars?

I am looking to buy a pair of good quality binoculars and am slightly torn between which to buy. I have tried Swarovskis and Leica Geovids and was very impressed by both, however I have been told that Kahles are pretty good :confused: . Does anyone have any experience of using Kahles or any of the other makes :confused:

C

I have a set of 8x42 Kahles and I think they are a match for swarovskiis anyday. I have used swarovskis on 3 separate occassions and they are a fantastic bino obviously but I could not tell the difference or where the extra money was.
Very impressed with them and they are cheaper too!! Win Win....

If you can find a dealer go and have a look through some Steiners...after all ocean liners, US Marines, coastguards etc etc can't all be wrong. I had a pair of Military Marine 7x50's which fell off the back of a marine...awsome bit of kit but sadly lost. I've also got a pair of 8x30's which are great.

I have a pair of Swarovski EL 10x42's, absolutley fantastic in poor/last/first light.

I have compaired these to other makes and even lower powered Swarovski Binos but can't match these for performance.

As I'm sure you will hear over and over, get the best you can afford once, then never need to buy again.

Good Luck,

TJ

Swarovskie now own Kahles so would have thought the differences are more down to the ergonomics. All are very good. I use a pair of Zeiss 7x42 BGAT Classics - and you would have to shoot me first before I gave them up - I like the weight and balance as opposed to the more compact Swarovsky's but each to his own.

Most people trade up to these and you rarely find second hand.

Also have a look at Doctor Optics and Meopta's if you are on a tight budget - but a decent pair of bins will last you a lifetime and thus the extra £200 now, whilst will hurt actually is a small price to pay over 30 years use.

All will be good in good light. With a stalking binocular you are looking for high definition in poor light.

Probably the best test is to try and compare several at around dusk and see which ones will resolve stonework, roof tiles or leaves or bark on trees. Look into the deep shadows.

If you go to one of the fairs - the Game fair etc, you will have the opportunity to look at several brands - best if it is really dark and gloomy rather than bright and sunny!

Ultimately it will come down to personal choice and what suits your own eyes and don't rush your choice.

chrismac78 said:
I am looking to buy a pair of good quality binoculars and am slightly torn between which to buy. I have tried Swarovskis and Leica Geovids and was very impressed by both, however I have been told that Kahles are pretty good :confused: . Does anyone have any experience of using Kahles or any of the other makes :confused:

C

Theres a bit of difference in prices between Swarovski/Leica & Kahles
Its already been said tho, buy the best you can afford, if moneys no object have a look through the Leica 8x42 HD Ultra, something else & better than my Swaro's IMO

I have inherited a pair of carl zeiss binoctem 7x50 . the date plaque on the leather case is 1974. they are still bloody good. had them from my late father in law. i am after some rubber eye pieces and a good padded strap if any one has any ideas.
jonathon

binoculars

i have used the zeiss BGATS 7x42 for 15 years or so outstanding binoculars , but i bought the leica geovids some time ago i am a zeiss fan but the leica are so handy with clients range finder is just there ,the best way to put it. i sold my leica 1200 s and now have a pair of five year old 7x42 BGATS for sale very clean

243varmint said:
I have inherited a pair of carl zeiss binoctem 7x50 . the date plaque on the leather case is 1974. they are still bloody good. had them from my late father in law. i am after some rubber eye pieces and a good padded strap if any one has any ideas.
jonathon
try ebay
from time to time the original parts come up for sale , just type in zeiss binoculars
worth a look now and again, who knows may land lucky

chrismac78

i have recently purchased a set of MINOX 8.5x43, they are fantastic very light, compact great clear picture and outstanding low light performance for under £400 from "flee bay "

there is a great bino review on 24hourcampfire.com - "A Campfire Review of 8x42 Binoculars" this covers all the major makes and how they rate .

i hope this is of some help......neil

griffshrek said:
chrismac78

i have recently purchased a set of MINOX 8.5x43, they are fantastic very light, compact great clear picture and outstanding low light performance for under £400 from "flee bay "

there is a great bino review on 24hourcampfire.com - "A Campfire Review of 8x42 Binoculars" this covers all the major makes and how they rate .

i hope this is of some help......neil

Yes rather good ani't they. :D

Best rgds

Tahr

I have both Kahles and Swarovski bins. The Swaro EL 8.5X42 and the Kahles 8X40. You would be hard pushed to find much of a difference, optically. I use the Swaros for stalking and the Kahles for everything else including Safari.
I also have Zeiss 8X56, but those are heavy and quite expensive, although a superb glass and good in low light.
The Kahles are rubber armoured but the body is plastic. I've inadvertently bumped the objective end of one of the barrels against something solid and the threaded ring that holds the glass in has distorted. It has had no effect on the performance, of course. I have turned up some tough plastic rings to go on the outside of the objective barrels so that this does not happen again. They see a lot of use.
The Swaros are similarly armoured but the body is metal, I think Magnesium.
Kahles are owned by Swarovski and their products are similar. However, Kahles are not as expensive although optical and other performances are pretty similar, probably indistinguishable in normal use.
Lieca should be similarly excellent although I don't own one. I would have difficulty in making a choice. For price, get Kahles. The Swaros are a little better ergonomically and have a metal body but otherwise there's not much difference.

10x42 SLC Swarovskis, on my second pair, but the Minox and Kahles are good. Another good pair would be Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt, these are nice too especially for woodland work.

kahles every time, and cheaper than swaros, i saved up paper round and rabbit hunting money to buy mine and they are wonderful :D

Just about to chop in my 10x56 Zeiss Night Owls for a pair of Geovid's. Think there the dog's nuts. very clear image and saves carrying a range finder plus I like the 56mm len's as it just sucks in the light at dusk.

243varmint - try rubber eye covers for telescope eye pieces.

I have a pair of Omega 7 x 50, at least 40 years old - brilliant. Inherited from my Father. The advice buy well and they last a lifetime was good 40 years ago!

thanks snowstorm.
went for butler creeks in the end 2 birds with 1 stone and all that . got a good camera neoprene strap about an inch wide. also picked up a 'man bag' in T K Max to save the leather case from getting damaged.
Jonathon

Having just bought a pair of Swavorski ELs I can say they are without a doubt the best for clarity and weight/useability.

Rangefinder binoculars are all very well but it is a bit like carrying around a house brick and lets face it if you can't teach yourself to estimate range reasonably well, then you are maybe shooting at deer outwith your capabilities.

Don't get me wrong I do use a rangefinder but tend to "map" ground with it and make mental notes to avoid the dreaded deer trotting off through the eypiece of the rangefinder scenario.

At the end of the day each to their own but if you are after proven quality without the gimmick go for Swavorski.

Back