Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: foxing with the help of the snow

foxing with the help of the snow

went out this morning after a framer from one of my permissions asked me to shot a goose for him from the sken which keeps flying over his ground each morning, apart from this morning but what i did spot was a set of fox tracks leading around in the snow so i thought maybe tonight i would sit up. any way i got to my patch at about 4:30 as it was still light due to the snow and set my self up on a old round cattle feeder with the .223, and decided to have a go at sqweaking one in as we have had the snow for 2 days now and i know that they would be finding hunting hard and would be hungry. about 15mins past and i was just sweaking for 5 secs and then waiting up to a minute before another 5 sec blast, i do this so as the fox cant pinpoint exactly where i am and isnt looking at me so as i hopfully wont see me if i have to move, any way after about 15 mins out pops one trotting nicely across the snow only stoping when i clattered the side of the feeder with the buckle on my sling but not being to sure what i was it sat up nicely at about 120yrds and was cleanly dispatched. i went straight away back to sqweaking without picking up the dead fox and after no more than 3-4 mins a magpie started up in the feild next door letting me know the second was on his way and with only 20secs past the second burst through the hedge again on a fast trott with its head scaning wildly trying to find out where the noise was coming from and as it got to 60 yrds i couldnt hold my nerve any more i let out a tiny sqweak and as the second stoped and looked at me it was also cleanly taken. i carried on for another 3/4 of a hour but nothing came out for any more i went off to pick up my prizes which turnt out to be 2 dog foxes which if i had known that i would have stayed on a bit longer in search for the vixen which couldnt have been far away, but to foxes isnt to be knocked for an hours work and i must admit that it was almost a shame to have taken them as they did look rather smart as they came across the snow but i know its a job that must be done and the benifits outway the loss

Nice shooting SLA, great shopoting and well deserved for being out in this weather (I actually love it). I went out yesterday afternoon to bait an area ive been baiting (and timing) for a week or so. Clock showed them coming at around 9pm but hung around for an hour with the caller on but didnt get a sniff of anything. The area is pretty clsoe to a big shoot and the ahd bene out all day so I imagine the foxes would ahev kept themselves tight in cover. Left at 5pm, will be back asap to claim the prize ive been stalking!!

thanks buddy but to be honest if you are getting a fox to go to a baited area of its own accord i personally would bother taking a caller or sqweaking by hand, my reasons would be that the fox is used to just going there and finding food if you then change the sinareo by putting in the sound of say a rabbit being killed this may put the fox on edge as its somthing its not used to, it may come charging in of course but to be honest i would just lie up nice and quite but you know your patch and your foxes better than me

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    thanks buddy but to be honest if you are getting a fox to go to a baited area of its own accord i personally would bother taking a caller or sqweaking by hand, my reasons would be that the fox is used to just going there and finding food if you then change the sinareo by putting in the sound of say a rabbit being killed this may put the fox on edge as its somthing its not used to, it may come charging in of course but to be honest i would just lie up nice and quite but you know your patch and your foxes better than me
    Good advice will see how I go.

let me know i would be interested to find out how you got on

Ive baited this particualr spot before, at the end of the summer. Last time I baited it for a week (3 times during the week) and then got there just before dark and dropped 2 of this years cubs within 15 mins of each other. I saw 2 foxes here a few weeks back, the first got spooked very quickly by the lamp and the 2nd was in a bad spot (brow of a hill) and saw mw before I could get it to a better spot (was a full moon). So my plan is to get them to thsi spot and watch for them with the NV. Will let you know how I get on.

well i was right there was a vixen and another dog fox too, sat out again tonight and managed to bag another two off of the same cattle feeder doing exactly the same thing as before. the weather man has said more snow on boxing day and plenty of it too so hopfully one or two foxes may fall to the deadly snow sqweaking technique before the new year

I took a walk this morning to check the area Ive baited adn the clock. Had a good walk around the fields and followed the majority of the tracks(was interesting to see the route they have been taking, at one point even walked back almost hole in hole for about 40 yards. Showed why a previously baited area had been getting overlooked too). Could defo see 2 different size tracks so there are at least 2 foxes snooping around. Dead bunny had gone at a similar time so will call again in the morning and see what they got up to tonight. Going to struggle to get there for a couple of nights (prob boxing day or day after). Will try to keep it baited up until then and let you know how I get on.

look forward to hearing how you get on mate

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    well i was right there was a vixen and another dog fox too, sat out again tonight and managed to bag another two off of the same cattle feeder doing exactly the same thing as before. the weather man has said more snow on boxing day and plenty of it too so hopfully one or two foxes may fall to the deadly snow sqweaking technique before the new year
    Good shooting by the way. I think the stalking and tracking makes the end shot that much more rewarding.