Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: developing a load - start with col or powder weight?

developing a load - start with col or powder weight?

About to start my load development for my tikka t3 6.5 x 55.

Wondering how people begin their load development?

I have:

Sierra Pro Hunters 120gn
    N160 Powder
    cci large rifle primers or federal

Do people choose a fixed powder charge and then alter the COL in order to find the sweet spot or choose a fixed col and alter the powder weight to find the sweet spot.

I have some very accurate norma ammo loaded with the nosler partition bullet. Was thinking of measuring the length of the ammo to the ogive with a hexagonal comparator, and trying to replicate the length to the ogive with the Sierra ProHunters, and then working on the optimum powder weight.

It is hunting ammo, so if I can match the 1/2 inch grouping I get with the Norma ammo, I will be pleased.

cheers

Stu

Most common practice is to find a velocity that suits the round by using increasing charges of powder then fine tuning by adjusting c.o.l.

Stuey if its hunting ammo and you are getting 1\2 inch groups why both just shoot them .

Do you have an OAL guage? Good to check how far off the lands you are and let that determine the COL(provided you still have a safe amount of the bullet actually in the cartridge of course and it fits in your mag ok).

I use the ladder test method:

http://www.6mmbr.com/laddertest.html

Doesn't have to be done at 1000yds but the longer the better. I find 300yds is about best because you can see the results without wind playing too much of a part in them.

Quote Originally Posted by c18rch View Post
    I use the ladder test method:

http://www.6mmbr.com/laddertest.html

Doesn't have to be done at 1000yds but the longer the better. I find 300yds is about best because you can see the results without wind playing too much of a part in them.
    What's your recommendation on how best to identify which bullet made which hole on the target? I have tried using 5 small targets all on the same level and work my way across from left to right. Then go forward and inspect and mark up the target.

Thanks JCS

I tend to follow Mr Lee's advice and start with a mid powder load and alter the COAL. After finding the sweetspot, then fine-tune powder charge.

It would be poor advice, I think, to start reloading without knowing the length to the lands of your chamber with the particular bullet you have chosen to use, and how far your bullet is seated from them.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Account Suspended
    I would start my load development .005" off the lands with a specific powder and work it in increasing loads from there till you get a tight group. Then when you have a tight group try to make it tighter by increasing and decreasing the distance from bullet O-Give to lands.

As for powder choices there are many, but this is something worth looking at >>> http://www.robsoft.nu/databaser_en/l...s.asp?MainID=4 or this >>>http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

If you were using Berger bullets I would contact Walt Berger direct if I were you and get his help. He helped me with some of my load development and I have had really good results.
    Last edited by robbobsam; 20-12-2010 at 17:50.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    I tend to follow Mr Lee's advice and start with a mid powder load and alter the COAL. After finding the sweetspot, then fine-tune powder charge.

It would be poor advice, I think, to start reloading without knowing the length to the lands of your chamber with the particular bullet you have chosen to use, and how far your bullet is seated from them.

ft
    Totally agree with Flytie, buy an OAL guage.

Cheers guys.

Got a hexagonal bullet comparator on order, and was going to load a finger tight bullet into a case to determine length to the lands. Would an oal gauge be better and if so any recommendations???

Cheers

Sty