Thread: Advanced Shooting test?

Advanced Shooting test?

What does the advanced shooting test for the Deer Managers course consist of?

Dave

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Dave

You have a minimum of 9 shots to take:

Shot 1 - 150m - optional, prone or high seat
    Shot 2 - 150m - optional, prone or high seat
    Shot 3 - 100m - high seat
    Shot 4 - 100m - Sitting or Kneeling using fencepost for support
    Shot 5 - 100m - Any position, not using fencepost (any normal stalking aids permitted)
    Shot 6 - 75m - From standing position, rifle held in one hand facing forwards, safety catch applied. When commanded you have 15 seconds to take shot from the kneeling/sitting position (sticks or bipods permitted).
    Shot 7 - 75m - From standing position, rifle held in one hand facing forwards, safety catch applied. On command you have 15 seconds to take 2 steps forward and take the shot using the fencepost for support from the kneeling/sitting position (sticks or bipods permitted).
    Shot 8&9 - 50m - 2 rapid shots. Rifle held in one hand facing forwards, safety catch applied. On command you have 20 seconds to take 2 shots from any position except prone (sticks or bipods permitted).

The target is a black score ring on a black target - see the BDS website for the roe silhouette.

Your rifle must be zeroed beforehand - no sighting shots allowed.

You are allowed two attempts as follows. If you fail the 150m shots you can have a second attempt to pass. If you don't pass the 150m shots you can't progress further. If you need a second attempt to pass the 150m shots you are only allowed one attempt at the 100m-50m. If you passed the 150m shots the first time you are allowed 2 attempts (if necessary) at the 100m-50m shots.

If the above doesn't make sense then if you PM me your email I can send you the official rules.

The above probably doesn't sound too difficult, but bear in mind you are not shooting at a normal 'target' - you are shooting at a black silhouette of a roe deer. To give an idea, on my course out of 12 students who attempted the shooting test (there were 4 or 5 who chose not to take it), only 4 passed first time without the need for a re-attempt. 2 failed the shooting test.

My suggestion would be to practice the above routine beforehand, particularly the timed shots. Also, as someone not used to using a fencepost for support (or only in terms of leaning back against it), I should have practiced the 100m kneeling/sitting shots.

The shooting test is one morning/afternoon of the five day course. The whole course is good fun, though with a lot to take in.

Enjoy!

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!