Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pig rig gets used at last.

Pig rig gets used at last.

Hi All
    Some of you will remember last year I got a new Moderated Blaser .375H&H "Pig Rig" sorted.

Due to various reasons last season it didn't get tested on the real thing.

This season we've been under no pressure to shoot any early so we waited until they got to a decent larder weight, I also wanted to get one for a friend who has been very good to me over the years. He visited me last week and we sat for 4 chilly hours and and failed to see a thing
    We topped up the feeders two days after and there was a huge amount of activity they had been there every night typical.

Last night Andy and I decided to have a go ourselves. It was a perfect night, a light covering of snow in the wood and the near full moon shining in through the trees.
    We sat for three hours seeing lots of squirrels, rabbits, fox's and even a Muntjac doe every one getting the pulse racing.
    A few times we thought we could hear a squeal and a stick breaking a long way off so we stayed sat toasty warm in my two thermal layers, various fleeces and my romper suit.

Eventually we could hear them, no hesitation they were out of the bushes and onto the maize and feeding and making a great deal of noise.
    We watched them for a minute through the binos about 8 in total all good size lumps the youngsters nearly as big as the sow's. I swapped the bino's for the rifle and picked out one of the smaller animals in the moonlight waited for it to turn and clear the others BANG chaos boar scattering everywhere no chance for a second shot.

We let it settle down before getting down from the seat and approaching the downed boar. The 270 grn Hornaday doing its job , the boar was slightly angled and the entrance was slightly back but exiting through the opposite shoulder the boar had only moved a foot from where it had been standing.

Back home hung it in the chiller and opened the door as it was now -9 outside couldn’t see the point in turning it on

One of the little ones Well done guys!

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    One of the little ones Well done guys!
    Paul,
    I was hoping to bump into the one that had left a rub mark 3ft up a tree

Now that's a pig gun! Well done Wayne!! What bullet did you use?

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Now that's a pig gun! Well done Wayne!! What bullet did you use?

ft
    Hi FT
    A Hornaday 270 grn rn

Nice one Wayne!

That's a nice sized eater. You can tell the wallows and ground are frozen solid, looks nice and clean!
    Well done.

Pete.

New rifles first blood

Nice one wayne i was starting to think you had gone green on us for a while there
    What scope are you using with the old 75er at the moment it looks a bit like a s&b
    Speak soon cheeers jon

Quote Originally Posted by BIGPETE View Post
    Nice one Wayne!

That's a nice sized eater. You can tell the wallows and ground are frozen solid, looks nice and clean!
    Well done.

Pete.
    Hi Pete
    I shot it before it got to the beech tar

WD

Quote Originally Posted by RICK O SHEA View Post
    Nice one wayne i was starting to think you had gone green on us for a while there
    What scope are you using with the old 75er at the moment it looks a bit like a s&b
    Speak soon cheeers jon
    Hi jon
    How are you mate, yes its my last 30mm Hungarian 8x56. A chap at a certain well known gunshop called me a "animal" for putting a mod and a 8x56 on a .375 H&H
    But it stops the need for any follow up

Wayne

wayne, is that a maglight in your left hand?