Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: freezing temps and stalking

freezing temps and stalking

At what point do you quit
    last night it got down to -12 while out stalking , yes I know some boys out there hav been to further depths so may be able to constructively add to this thread

It was that bad everything froze up by the time we left , even to the point it took a bit of defrosting to open the bolt so we could unload
    How much will this of affected accuracy if a shot was taken???

This is my mates rifle , but mine was just as bad

any views on this
    regards

I was out in -12 on Saturday afternoon. Really not funny.

I actually got a deer. The mad part was putting up a serious sweat dragging the beast out through the heather, then having my hair freeze on my head when I took my hat of for about 30 seconds.

My buddy was here just now, his concern was that if you fell and got wet or injured in those temperatures and there was no one around to help you out, you would be dead from exposure in a very short time.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Hi, I hunt foxes from a barn in Norway wintertime. I have my rifle "benchrested" in front of me with the barrel out of an open window. I have shot in temps down to -30c without any mechanical incident. -30c outside temp, inside the barn was -23c :-). What I will say is that I keep the butler creeks down until you see anything and don't EVER breathe onto the ocular when its that cold. I sit in full thermals in a proper winter sleeping bag with down jacket, balaclava, hat and gloves.Another thing to bear in mind is to bring the rifle up to temp gradually when you're finished otherwise you can have rust/condensation problems and scope problems.
    Hope the weather sorts itself out for you guys, we normally have 3-4 months of this.
    Atb Toby

England, a large country south of the Scottish Border
    I would have been too nervous to have fired a rifle that frozen, it make you wonder if frost was inside the barrel, and would the metal have "shrunk" just as it expands when hot?
    I dont know, it just looks too scary to fire in my opinion

Nice to see someone getting out and doing it in this weather! I also suffered frozen safety and had my hand sticking to gunmetal - not nice! One good tip is to use shoulder-length gloves when gralloching so that you don't have to remove your jacket.
    As the freeze continues, my main concern is whether I should give the deer a break at the beginning of what looks to be a long winter. I spook a lot more deer than I shoot when out stalking.

Even down south the deer are up against it with this weather and the last Roe doe taken with a client off this site was in good nick and very healthy but not carrying much fat. I am not taking anymore Roe for the time being, and I have noticed that they were moving late, which is not unusual in this weather.

Mind you the lowest temperature I have hunted in was -23 in Finland, but it was a drier cold, if you get what I mean.

Best

Sikamalc

I have already mentioned my loss of a Dosko sport guncase, (shattered like a lightbulb), minus eighteen in the quarry today, check zeroed the .223, no discernible change in p.o.i.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by buck52 View Post
    I would have been too nervous to have fired a rifle that frozen, it make you wonder if frost was inside the barrel, and would the metal have "shrunk" just as it expands when hot?
    I dont know, it just looks too scary to fire in my opinion
    Very good point
    I hav no idea what the rifling would of been like

Border
    I did hav that such a problem when a good fallow buck was stood infront of me, as I breathed a little harder the scope started to mist up a lot to the point it needed scraping not wiping

Gabe
    As a rule I'm a fair weather stalker as my tootsies don't seem to like it anymore

Malc
    Another good point about ambient temps and possibly drier conditions , as we also were subjected to a freezing fog last night aswell

When I was in the RAF I always remember the an RAF Regiment SGT moaning about the SA80s we were getting issued and complaining how cr#p they were when first put into service. He ...and I agree that our 7.62 SLRs were a cracking rifle..one story he told me is that the SLRs were renowed for being exceptional in cold conditions when used in Norway...even to the extent that they could be buried in the snow for hours and then fired straight after...how true that is I dont know.
    I also know the German snipers at Stalingrad had major issues with their guns freeezing because the gun oil issued froze the bolts solid. But the Red Army snipers had a trick they used ...they mixed petrol with their gun oil which stopped their bolts freezing solid...a simple trick which helped them win when sniping

SLR's on sustained fire tended to wilt a little!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!