Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .308 Custom Build

.308 Custom Build

If you were going to build a .308 as an all round stalking rifle, some hill some woodland what would you go for?

Builder?
    Action?
    Barrel?
    Trigger?
    Stock?
    Bipod?
    Moderator, Muzzle brake?

And what spec would you go for on each?

Dave

I wouldn't....

I'd buy a Tikka T3 synthetic. The last thing I would want to do with an expensive, custom built beauty with fine metal work and expensive wood is drag it through some of the terrain I go through... I would be concentrating too much on protecting it from damage than getting on my belly in the crap and crawling to get close enough for the right shot!

And let's face it, you'd have to spend a heap of cash on tuning it to get it to perform as well as a nice, cheap, durable Tikka will out of the box..

Build it and save it for the range or the display cabinet!

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    I wouldn't....

I'd buy a Tikka T3 synthetic. The last thing I would want to do with an expensive, custom built beauty with fine metal work and expensive wood is drag it through some of the terrain I go through... I would be concentrating too much on protecting it from damage than getting on my belly in the crap and crawling to get close enough for the right shot!

And let's face it, you'd have to spend a heap of cash on tuning it to get it to perform as well as a nice, cheap, durable Tikka will out of the box..

Build it and save it for the range or the display cabinet!
    Lol,

I already have a .308 T3!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    If you were going to build a .308 as an all round stalking rifle, some hill some woodland what would you go for?

Builder?
    Action?
    Barrel?
    Trigger?
    Stock?
    Bipod?
    Moderator, Muzzle brake?

And what spec would you go for on each?

Dave
    the first question is easy to answer http://www.stevekershawfirearms.co.uk/ local to you as well
    action,any of the top make actions willl do
    Barrel,again any of the popular makes I use Loather Walther
    Trigger,theres only 1 "Arnold Jewel"
    Stock,Mc Millan or Robertson (I use robertson)
    Bipod,Harris swivel
    Mod/Brake.third eye tatical sparten,Vias brake (again I use both)
    build it to the weight your happy with to carry,dont listem to rubbish about dragging a rifle through muck and mud lets face it who does that,my rifles have been all over the world and have seen all manner of weather,they dont rust and they dont scratch,but they do shoot accuratley and thats what your buying
    also you dont have to "tune" a proper built rifle if built right they shoot straight off the cuff
    Last edited by long shot; 21-12-2010 at 16:35.

i would just buy the 308 rpa off guntrader. sell the thumbhole mcmillan stock off it.
    for something lighter and more compact and you have what is a custom rifle really at a snip for 1350 pound.

there not the lightest though but if you had the standard roberston stock on it it would be more compact. and not has heavy i bet as the thumbhole stock.

great accuracy to. well my 22/250 rpa is deadly accurate
    Last edited by jay 22; 21-12-2010 at 17:54.

be careful with a mcmillan stock if you go that route i have just waited 5 month its come and it is the wrong model and wont fit the action.

Kershaw is never a bad choice, but there are some other really good guys out there.

For a practical hunting rifle, I might just build it on a Sako action, but there are some really nice Rem clones Stiller seems very good.

I know you said 308, but I would give serious thought to a 7/08.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

If this is to be a working tool then the following would apply. If not then you could get all Captain Beefheart on it and go for sky blue pink with an Aardvark for an ornament and it won't matter a toss.

Barrel: any reputable maker in stainless
    action: any good quality stainless action
    Stock: synthetic to suit you
    Trigger: suit yourself but jewells are fragile in harsh conditions
    Mod, bipod etc: To suit your overall weight limit if it is to be a carry rifle

Builder: a reputable smith who you have a good working relationship with and trust to get the work done to your requirements and on time.

Simples.

Why build?

Do you REALLY need to be any more accurate than say a Tikka or Sako are straight out the box?

Deer dont care what they get shot with.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Rem 700 ADL factory barrel and action circa 1985
    McMillan Mountain stock
    Zeiss Classic 7x50 IR with Ret #66
    Jewell trigger to be installed tomorrow
    That's my contribution as an all round rifle in 308 Win.
    No moderator as I am trying to keep one of my rifles lightish.
    Good for fox to boar.