Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .22cf for Roe

.22cf for Roe

Guys shooting in Scotland: What are your experiences when using the .22 centrefires?

What bullet do you use? What sort of performance do you get (i.e. damage on chest shots etc)

Do you get more runners than you do when using .243 and above?

Just curious really.

Ta

G

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Only had 3 Roe with my 22-250, no runners, I use 55gr Federal Powershok at the moment, then I'll be onto 55gr Remingtons. I would only use soft nose and not ballistic tips, but that goes for all bullet choice from my 22-250 upto when I had my .308

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

I have culled alot of Roe with the .222 with Norma 50grn ammunition

Never had an issue
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Thanks guys. Any others want to contribute?

Owned several .22-250 over the years and like DG never had a problem with it either. In fact given the choice I would shoot all my Roe with that calibre except I put too much money into a custom build to justify more than one rifle just now and it has to be legal for everything. 55grn Sierra SP if you can lay your hands on any.

Quote Originally Posted by zaitsev View Post
    Thanks guys. Any others want to contribute?
    Happy New Year Zait.
    For the 20 years or so when only .22cfs were permitted for deer shooting in Southern Ireland I used various cartridges such as the .22/250 , RWS 5.6X57 and the Vom Hofe Super Express 5.6X61 .
    Of these the .22/250 was the most feeble although I shot many Sika and some Hybrids there with it.
    The law stipulated a minimum bullet weight of 55 grains but I generally used re-loads incorporating the 60 grain Hornady soft-point bullet.
    As I was a short range precision shooter and not a long range sniper I found that these Hornadys performed well.
    I did shoot some Roe in Scotland using 55 grain factory ammo.
    My rifle was a Tikka with a one-in-twelve twist although for a short time I had a BSA CF2 which had a one-in-fourteen twist. It did not like the heavier bullets though.
    For Roe sized quarry the .22/250 is a useful cartridge providing a hunting bullet and not a `varmint` projectile is used.

HWH.

I like the .22-250 and have shot many roe in scotland with this calibre,fast and flat awsome round,Just like stag1933 says varmints are a definate no no

I have shot Roe Deer with 223 and had no problems at all. I use 55grn Gamekings loaded using Varget and Remington Bench Rest primers. One of our group uses his 222 to the same effect, the accuracy of both these calibres and easy handling make them ideal for the job.

i use 222 and 22ppc on roe 52grn hollow piont never had any probs

Quote Originally Posted by zaitsev View Post
    Guys shooting in Scotland: What are your experiences when using the .22 centrefires?
    Do you get more runners than you do when using .243 and above?
    I have used a 223 on roe and although I can’t say I had any real problems I believe that any runners did go further than when shot with my 243.

ATB

Tahr