Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about Sauer 202

Tell me about Sauer 202

Can anyone tell me about Sauer 202 quality build, grouping ability, handling, experiences, positives, negatives, etc.?

Thinking they look great, classy, yet quality, but can they shoot well,,or at least as well as a Sako?

I want a .308 or 7mm-08, probably 22"-24" barrell, twist to stabilise 160-180g bullets, great trigger, or ability to upgrade to Jewell Arnold, Monte Carlo raised cheek stock, etc. etc. will be used for some target shooting to 500yds in the field, but also for stalking Reds in the Highlands (but not a work-horse).

Looking for the holy grail here I guess...a beautiful classy rifle for stalking, yet, with 1 MOA ability to 500yds from factory, and if I 'wanted' to, could have some realistic fun with on the range out to 1000 yds, although I understand, not from a competition perspective, as I'd get my arse whipped by the custom builds...

anyway, like the thought of Sauer 202, any feedback?

I have owned 2 and reloaded for one my mate owned,I had a 6.5x55 avant guard gold,stunning wood but far too good to get knocked around,then I had a 30.06 outback synthetic stock much more user friendly,my mate also had an outback in 308
    as far as a factory rifle goes there superb,lovely smooth action three lug bolt and a set trigger,they handel very very well and with the monte carlo cheek piece there comfy and bring your head nicley up to the scope,if i didnt have custom rifles i would have a sauer or a blazer

I have a 202 elegance and it is a beautiful well made rifle,trigger is great you wont need to be thinking about aftermarket triggers,bolts are lovely better than sako and yes i do have a sako all in all a nice classy rifle but no better or worse than my sako for accuracy only other drawback is mag only holds 3 rnds but have a spare and they are quick and easy to change,mines the older one with a deep polished bluing but later models have an illaflon coating which is supposed to be hard wearing but to me seems bit of a cop out on sauers part probably better used on a frying pan,quality wise a notch above my older sako l691 deluxe which would put it a good few above a new sako.Dont think you'll likely to get 1moa at 500 out of one and no chance of bedding due to the design of the action but a good sporting rifle none the less mines around 1moa at 100 with factory ammo and probably squeeze .5 with my homeloads thats .243win.
    Neil.
    Last edited by Dawnraider; 23-12-2010 at 17:27.

The one i have shoots very well beter than me anyway it also gets used in a rough way and has come through with no faults even to -18 were my finger stuck to the trigger.

The 202 is one of the best factory built rifles made i had 1 in 6.5x55 but sold it to fund a custom build and the chap who bought will be very happy with it when he gets his variation and for been accurate that is without saying.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Can anyone tell me about Sauer 202 quality build, grouping ability, handling, experiences, positives, negatives, etc.?

Thinking they look great, classy, yet quality, but can they shoot well,,or at least as well as a Sako?

I want a .308 or 7mm-08, probably 22"-24" barrell, twist to stabilise 160-180g bullets, great trigger, or ability to upgrade to Jewell Arnold, Monte Carlo raised cheek stock, etc. etc. will be used for some target shooting to 500yds in the field, but also for stalking Reds in the Highlands (but not a work-horse).

Looking for the holy grail here I guess...a beautiful classy rifle for stalking, yet, with 1 MOA ability to 500yds from factory, and if I 'wanted' to, could have some realistic fun with on the range out to 1000 yds, although I understand, not from a competition perspective, as I'd get my arse whipped by the custom builds...

anyway, like the thought of Sauer 202, any feedback?

Sauer 202 and 200 are great rifles (for factory) elegant and they do all you ask.

They do not accept aftermarket triggers.

The forends on some wooden stocked guns is a bit tight to the barrel for my liking - ive seen several that shoot typical, "two shots touching and the third a little off"

MOA accuracy or less is typical.

The 202 is elegant, lightweight and has drop out mag, silent in operation etc etc, mounts are expensive (for Sauer own)

if you are open to suggestion, I would also consider a Blaser R8 Proffesional - my stalking partner has just got one - I like it alot (for an out and out stalking gun, its perfect)

Cost may not suit, but if your looking at Sauer, cost wont be a factor anyway....

You could try and find a Wolverine with a Match or Jagdt-Match barrel. Might give you something approaching the best of both worlds.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    The 202 is one of the best factory built rifles made i had 1 in 6.5x55 but sold it to fund a custom build and the chap who bought will be very happy with it when he gets his variation and for been accurate that is without saying.
    Happy Birthday! life begins at 40.!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    You could try and find a Wolverine with a Match or Jagdt-Match barrel. Might give you something approaching the best of both worlds.

Andrew
    That's an EXCELLENT recommendation just had a look. .308W, 23.5" fluted barrell, adjustable monte carlo (but well hidden in wood if not used)..looks like just what I'm after.

There's something about blaser that just doesn't agree with me, look a bit too much like a shotgun, and the bolt action,,well, let's just say I like the traditional style bolt

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    That's an EXCELLENT recommendation just had a look. .308W, 23.5" fluted barrell, adjustable monte carlo (but well hidden in wood if not used)..looks like just what I'm after.

There's something about blaser that just doesn't agree with me, look a bit too much like a shotgun, and the bolt action,,well, let's just say I like the traditional style bolt
    Well it's your money and going to be your rifle so get what you like and like the feel of . A rifle that feels good when you shoulder it is one that you will probably shoot well. Plus if your not totally happy then tere is always that niggling doubt in the back of the mind which means your never quite happy. Life is too short not to be happy shooting your rifle .

I have only ever heard on one 202 that didn't shoot well. That was a 7x64 and there was just something that meant it didn't shoot well no matter what ammunition was tried. Even a new barrel failed to cure it's mediocre grouping but as I say that's the only one I have ever heard of like that .