Tell me about Sauer 202

User00003

Can anyone tell me about Sauer 202 quality build, grouping ability, handling, experiences, positives, negatives, etc.?

Thinking they look great, classy, yet quality, but can they shoot well,,or at least as well as a Sako?

I want a .308 or 7mm-08, probably 22"-24" barrell, twist to stabilise 160-180g bullets, great trigger, or ability to upgrade to Jewell Arnold, Monte Carlo raised cheek stock, etc. etc. will be used for some target shooting to 500yds in the field, but also for stalking Reds in the Highlands (but not a work-horse).

Looking for the holy grail here I guess...a beautiful classy rifle for stalking, yet, with 1 MOA ability to 500yds from factory, and if I 'wanted' to, could have some realistic fun with on the range out to 1000 yds, although I understand, not from a competition perspective, as I'd get my arse whipped by the custom builds...

anyway, like the thought of Sauer 202, any feedback?

I have owned 2 and reloaded for one my mate owned,I had a 6.5x55 avant guard gold,stunning wood but far too good to get knocked around,then I had a 30.06 outback synthetic stock much more user friendly,my mate also had an outback in 308
as far as a factory rifle goes there superb,lovely smooth action three lug bolt and a set trigger,they handel very very well and with the monte carlo cheek piece there comfy and bring your head nicley up to the scope,if i didnt have custom rifles i would have a sauer or a blazer

I have a 202 elegance and it is a beautiful well made rifle,trigger is great you wont need to be thinking about aftermarket triggers,bolts are lovely better than sako and yes i do have a sako all in all a nice classy rifle but no better or worse than my sako for accuracy only other drawback is mag only holds 3 rnds but have a spare and they are quick and easy to change,mines the older one with a deep polished bluing but later models have an illaflon coating which is supposed to be hard wearing but to me seems bit of a cop out on sauers part probably better used on a frying pan,quality wise a notch above my older sako l691 deluxe which would put it a good few above a new sako.Dont think you'll likely to get 1moa at 500 out of one and no chance of bedding due to the design of the action but a good sporting rifle none the less mines around 1moa at 100 with factory ammo and probably squeeze .5 with my homeloads thats .243win.
Neil.

Last edited:
The one i have shoots very well beter than me anyway it also gets used in a rough way and has come through with no faults even to -18 were my finger stuck to the trigger.

The 202 is one of the best factory built rifles made i had 1 in 6.5x55 but sold it to fund a custom build and the chap who bought will be very happy with it when he gets his variation and for been accurate that is without saying.

Can anyone tell me about Sauer 202 quality build, grouping ability, handling, experiences, positives, negatives, etc.?

Thinking they look great, classy, yet quality, but can they shoot well,,or at least as well as a Sako?

I want a .308 or 7mm-08, probably 22"-24" barrell, twist to stabilise 160-180g bullets, great trigger, or ability to upgrade to Jewell Arnold, Monte Carlo raised cheek stock, etc. etc. will be used for some target shooting to 500yds in the field, but also for stalking Reds in the Highlands (but not a work-horse).

Looking for the holy grail here I guess...a beautiful classy rifle for stalking, yet, with 1 MOA ability to 500yds from factory, and if I 'wanted' to, could have some realistic fun with on the range out to 1000 yds, although I understand, not from a competition perspective, as I'd get my arse whipped by the custom builds...

anyway, like the thought of Sauer 202, any feedback?

Sauer 202 and 200 are great rifles (for factory) elegant and they do all you ask.

They do not accept aftermarket triggers.

The forends on some wooden stocked guns is a bit tight to the barrel for my liking - ive seen several that shoot typical, "two shots touching and the third a little off"

MOA accuracy or less is typical.

The 202 is elegant, lightweight and has drop out mag, silent in operation etc etc, mounts are expensive (for Sauer own)

if you are open to suggestion, I would also consider a Blaser R8 Proffesional - my stalking partner has just got one - I like it alot (for an out and out stalking gun, its perfect)

Cost may not suit, but if your looking at Sauer, cost wont be a factor anyway....

You could try and find a Wolverine with a Match or Jagdt-Match barrel. Might give you something approaching the best of both worlds.

Andrew

The 202 is one of the best factory built rifles made i had 1 in 6.5x55 but sold it to fund a custom build and the chap who bought will be very happy with it when he gets his variation and for been accurate that is without saying.

Happy Birthday! life begins at 40.!

You could try and find a Wolverine with a Match or Jagdt-Match barrel. Might give you something approaching the best of both worlds.

Andrew

That's an EXCELLENT recommendation:D just had a look. .308W, 23.5" fluted barrell, adjustable monte carlo (but well hidden in wood if not used)..looks like just what I'm after.

There's something about blaser that just doesn't agree with me, look a bit too much like a shotgun, and the bolt action,,well, let's just say I like the traditional style bolt:old:

That's an EXCELLENT recommendation:D just had a look. .308W, 23.5" fluted barrell, adjustable monte carlo (but well hidden in wood if not used)..looks like just what I'm after.

There's something about blaser that just doesn't agree with me, look a bit too much like a shotgun, and the bolt action,,well, let's just say I like the traditional style bolt:old:

Well it's your money and going to be your rifle so get what you like and like the feel of ;). A rifle that feels good when you shoulder it is one that you will probably shoot well. Plus if your not totally happy then tere is always that niggling doubt in the back of the mind which means your never quite happy. Life is too short not to be happy shooting your rifle :D.

I have only ever heard on one 202 that didn't shoot well. That was a 7x64 and there was just something that meant it didn't shoot well no matter what ammunition was tried. Even a new barrel failed to cure it's mediocre grouping but as I say that's the only one I have ever heard of like that :confused:.

There has been a 202 doing the rounds of the magazines for testing, there were issues about accuracy when the barrels were swapped. Accuracy did not appear to be outstanding for the price either. I was more interested in the semi custom by Brock & Norris based on a Tikka T3 which came in under the £2,700 budget set by the customer, even if it did have a horrible pudding stirrer of a bolt handle, it was very, very accurate.

ft

Well, I've had a 202 in 308 for the past 14 years and I think it's a great rifle. Mine does do the 2 touching and one away thing on grouping, but I don't think that third shot has ever been more than 1.5" away, and it's usually much closer. It can group a mixed batch of 150, 125 and 180 grain loads into the same 2" group at 100m.
The action is smooth as glass and the finish is top notch. Mine too is an older model in a std, Monte-Carlo stock, with deep glossy bluing.
The only annoying thing with the design for me is the fact that the bolt for the 243 has three locking lugs as opposed to the standard six for all other calibres. This means that even if you have one chambered for a round like the 308, 30-06 etc, you still need to buy a bolt along with your extra barrel if you want to have a 243 barrel as well.
Now that Border barrels are offering 202 barrels made in-house though, you may be able to specify a 243 barrel with locking recesses for the six lug bolt. Anyone care to comment on that last bit?

I bought a 202 in 6.5x55 over ten years ago and have bought 2 more since! They are used often on the hill and in the woods and have never missed a beat. No trouble at all. Never had a missfire. Smooth bolt, silent safety, elegant looks, good trigger. They can also take general rough and tumble unlike some other brands.

I only use factory ammo these days and the 6.5x55 will shoot 0.5" @ 100m with Lapua scenars and .75" @100m with hunting ammo. (Mainly Norma)

The other calibres also average .75" @ 100m with compatible hunting ammo.

I have yet to find a perfect rifle though, and I find they are heavy if fitted with mod and bipod.The bipod is also a nuisance to fit due to the unique sling swivel system.
I would also prefer a single stage trigger as on the Blaser (very light and crisp without having to set).

I think the accuracy potential with the Sauer is good for hunting and similar to most quality sporting rifles, although the Blaser seems to have the edge with factory ammo. Would like to try an R8 sometime as I love the trigger and handling but an R93 I had in the mid 90s missfired often and I prefer a traditional bolt.

I have a 202 Elegance for which I have 6.5x55 and 30-06 barrels. I was worried that swapping between barrels would mean a need to re-zero, but this has never been an issue on my rifle and both will shoot to the same point of impact after being refitted. Both barrels are not fussed on what ammunition I have put down them and have shot well with everything I have tried in them so far, I currently use 129grn Interlocks in 6.5x55 and 150grn Interlocks in 30-06. The safety system takes a little getting used to at first, but once you get to grips with with it, it is superb. My only gripe, was the cost of the swing off mounting system as 2 barrels means 2 scopes and two sets of rings, for which I had to pay best part of £200.00!!!!!! for a second set when I got the 30-06 barrel.

ATB

Tom

Sauer 202 is great modern rifle. As They wrote, You need to learn use safety but is very handy anyway. The only drawback for me is barrel exchange which is easier in Mauser M03 or Blaser. If You choose Sauer 202 don't buy light metal version only steel one. There are many complaints for light version.

Sauer 202

I'll second that about the alloy receiver - I had one that had accuracy problems and it turned out the threads were stripped on the front base mounting. Obviously this isn't a fault of the rifle, just the clown who screwed the base on in the first place!
Fors - beautifully made, lovely smooth bolt, probably the best safety system on the market (in my opinion).
Against - set trigger? - mine ended up getting lighter and lighter to the point it actually went off when you pushed the trigger forward, flimsy fore-end that is too close to the barrel, not sure i'd want to put a bipod on one because of this. Swing off mounts, while very good, need to be adjusted properly to ensure accuracy - if neglected it will suffer!

I'd still have another though :D

Depends on what you actually want/need a rifle for but I've gone down the custom route - Sendero based remmy, blueprinted with custom barrel, Howa with aftermarket stock and trigger. I've put some good glass on top and don't cry when they get wet or (as one of them did last year) bounce off a rock :eek:

I bought a 202 Outback 0.243" (synthetic stock) approx. 3 years ago. A beautiful light weight rifle (until I had a T8 moderator fitted) with a silky smooth bolt and very accurate. The unusual safety takes a bit of getting use to but otherwise perfect. As others have mentioned the QD scope mounts were expensive but worth every penny - no zero movement at all. If you like shooting off a bipod you will need to do some DIY (see previous posts) as the front swivel runs parallel to the barrel.

Willie

sauer 202

bought a secondhand eleagance .308 about a year ago. this one has alloy action but has given no problems so far.wee bit different from other rifles reguarding safty very good trigger. very pleased.

I have a S202XT in 6.5X55SE steel receiver with bull and flutted barrel, the synthetic forend was replaced under warranty as the dura tough coating was peeling where the fore end and receiver are in contact.
I choose the steel receiver as I eard some issues regarding damaged threadings (front bases mount) on the aluminium receiver.
I recently replaced the trigger by a match trigger (again an expensive Option!) as I was not happy with the original trigger, it's a two stage trigger but pull is now crisp and clear.
Accuracy is very good but my Blaser R93 .308W and Steyr Mannlicher .270W are achieving same accuracy levels.
I'm really pleased with this rifle.

Love mine so much I brought a second. the barrel swap ability is a bit of a false reason to buy in my opinion. 22.250 and .243 calibers have a different bolt design meaning if you want to swap from either of these calibers to anything larger you will need barrel, bolt and mag. The cost of these bits is fast approaching another rifle, hence me owning two. Scope mounts made my eyes water cost wise. One other thing is that the Sauer sling studs won't accept a Harris bipod. You would have to add a standard type stud to be able to use one. Other than that fantastic rifles.

Mark

Back