Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orange Dayglow

Account Suspended

Orange Dayglow

We are all aware of the practice of our American counterparts in their use of Orange Dayglow jackets in the field which they claim that the deer cant see the colour and is a visual safety aid where multiple stalkers are present supposedly saving accidents ,which seems to be somewhat of a untruth as more shooting accidents are recorded to american hunters that anywhere else in the world. But the use of Dayglow jackets in the U.K
    Do you think that deer cant see the colour and if they cant as suggested it would certainly make us think twice about the use of CAMO gear we seem to favour.

My understanding is that deer have rods or pillars in their eyes and cant see colours only shades of grey so would it not be better to wear different shades of grey ina disruptive pattern type material rather than any other colour.
    Views please
    stu

I think that there are more American accidents due to the huge numbers of hunters utillising state land on opening day and weekends. In this country we have presumption that walkers and trespassers aside we will have no-one else on OUR ground, in the U.S and Canada every bush could contain another hunter who was there before you.
    Certainly deer and indeed moose have not spooked at blaze orange in my experience. I think nature equiped them to be able to detect the subtle differences in good/poor forage and not much that deer eat is red/orange.

There was an article in "The Field" some time back about deer colour vision, or lack of it, written by someone who proported to be an expert in the field. I suspect the conclusion was that there isn't a huge amount known about deer vision but based on what we do know a rather interesting shade of shocking pink would be the ideal colour to wear for deer stalking in the UK. There was a picture of a stalker wearing the "correct" shade and it made for a most remarkable sight. As has also been stated by others here the expert was of the view that deer saw only shades of grey and this pink was considered very neutral and something that would not stand out to their vision. While those who have had the pleasure of an armed response unit while creaping about in their cammo gear have had a bit of a shock that is nothing to the shock you might be in for creeping through hedges and undergrowth dressed in bright pink!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    There was an article in "The Field" some time back about deer colour vision, or lack of it, written by someone who proported to be an expert in the field. I suspect the conclusion was that there isn't a huge amount known about deer vision but based on what we do know a rather interesting shade of shocking pink would be the ideal colour to wear for deer stalking in the UK. There was a picture of a stalker wearing the "correct" shade and it made for a most remarkable sight. As has also been stated by others here the expert was of the view that deer saw only shades of grey and this pink was considered very neutral and something that would not stand out to their vision. While those who have had the pleasure of an armed response unit while creaping about in their cammo gear have had a bit of a shock that is nothing to the shock you might be in for creeping through hedges and undergrowth dressed in bright pink!

My DSC2 Assessor will be pleased with that information then as he has or had a pink phone I did think of getting him Bright Toffee pink stalking jacket to match
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 23-12-2010 at 14:22.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Try giving this a read:

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...icwdm_usdanwrc

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

i would like to comment on this although it is stated that deer cannot see in colour they will be able to tell shades or maybe black / white so going from a black and white photographers point of view there are 10 shades from pure black to pure white so if you match your colour to your surroundings your silhoette wont show up unless moving now orange will be a light grey so if wearing that say on a dark colour or green it will stand out and add movement and i think that the lighter grey will be the give away im also likening this to hand face movement they are white so stands out a mile just like a does white rump to us even though we see colour the eye needs to recognise a shape in order to tell its a deer thats why they seem to dissapear as their silhoete is broken up by surroundings thats my view atb,wayne

I understand that some of these leaf pattern camos are washed in U.V. enhancers to make them look absolutley great to us. The result is that you look like the Ready-Brek kid to a deer.

Anything I purchase, for wearing while out with the rifle, gets the thorough treatment, a good wash, in pure flaked soap, rinsed thoroughly then gets proofed with nikwax wash in stuff.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Whatever you do, for God's sake don't make "Hunter Orange" mandatory! To my eye there is hardly anything more repulsive.

As for deer "seeing" silhouette/outline is 90% of the issue.

Regards,
    Paul

even if orange did work,there should not be a safety issue in this country as you should know who is on the ground.Even if it did work i would rather wear cammo so as the public dont see me