Thread: Gathering the incredients together

Gathering the incredients together

Well picked up a new tub of powder tonight in preparation for the load development in the .280AI. The powder is H4831SC and although the price made me cringe a bit compared to some places it was not bad at 32 for the tub. He also had some H414 which according to Hodgdons web site is also a suitable powder so depending on price and finances I might pick up a tub of that as well if I cannot locate some 4350 locally. How I miss the 17 per 1lb prices .

In the new year once the post settles a bit i'll be sending for some new Rem brass from the classifieds here at SD.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Well picked up a new tub of powder tonight in preparation for the load development in the .280AI. The powder is H4831SC and although the price made me cringe a bit compared to some places it was not bad at 32 for the tub. He also had some H414 which according to Hodgdons web site is also a suitable powder so depending on price and finances I might pick up a tub of that as well if I cannot locate some 4350 locally. How I miss the 17 per 1lb prices .

In the new year once the post settles a bit i'll be sending for some new Rem brass from the classifieds here at SD.
    If you're still gettinh Hodgdon powder at 32, get more. The latest stuff is currently approaching 40. (36, IIRC)
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Paying 45 a pound for Reloader 15 here in Northern Ireland so consider yourself lucky.

After some adding up I figure my 308 reloads using a Nosler Partition are going to be costing 1.15 a pop allowing for 10 reloadings of the brass.

powder = 31.5
    bullet = 73
    brass = 6.5
    primer = 4

I think my reloads with hornady spire points save me about 35p per load so they are costing me about 80p a pop.

One reason I posted the tub before this one from another shop cost me 36 so yes I will be getting more finances permitting that is assuming he has another tub of H4831SC that is but I will try to get the tub of H414 he mentioned having .

Some have suggested the 120 Gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet but I am unsure as to how they will perform on Game but I would like to try the Speer 115 Gr HP as Gitano has used them extensively in his 7x300 Wildcat. will ahve to see what's on offer locally.

Merry Christmas Kev ,
    I can tell you how the ballistic tips will behave , generally messy if pushed hot ,
    I use H414 extensively and most reloads require a magnum primer , I have tried without but will not group for toffee ,its funny how the hotter primer transforms the load , I know you occaisionally get down my way , so you are welcome to have a sample of h414 and some magnum primers , and see how it goes , save you commiting yourself to a full tub before trying .

Almost makes me ashamed that I complain about the prices I have to pay per pound...

Condolences,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Brough View Post
    Merry Christmas Kev ,
    I can tell you how the ballistic tips will behave , generally messy if pushed hot ,
    I use H414 extensively and most reloads require a magnum primer , I have tried without but will not group for toffee ,its funny how the hotter primer transforms the load , I know you occaisionally get down my way , so you are welcome to have a sample of h414 and some magnum primers , and see how it goes , save you commiting yourself to a full tub before trying .
    Thanks for the offer but I have about 700 Magnum primers here and a tiny bit of H414 left so have used it before. Funnily enough I should be down in Sussex in the later part of January.

Quote Originally Posted by gitano View Post

Almost makes me ashamed that I complain about the prices I have to pay per pound...

Condolences,
    Paul

Gitano,

Well you know from the past postings on THL that the prices are horrendous here and there seems to be no stop to the price gouging in the UK. I have had to cut back on my shootign due to the prices now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    I have had to cut back on my shootign due to the prices now.
    And I have had to cut back on reloading due to the pain caused by getting my back passage reamed out every time I buy something. I can hardly walk never mind go stalking. :-)