Bullett choices

chill123

Since starting reloading for my Sako 6.5x55 three years ago . i have only used Hornady interlocks 140 grain bullets .I shoot mainly Fallow. My question is can the forum members recommend an alternative brand/ weight ? What advantage will changing brand give me . Or is a bullet a bullet ?

Chill

Hi Chill,

I reload for 6.5x55 also and use Hornady 129grn Interlocks with excellent results, I have also have very good success using Nosler 120grn BTips and both loaded using N160.

ATB

Tom

What are the reasons why you want to change
what is wrong with your bullet choice at the moment,
As I've never used interlocks , I can't really offer an alternative
but will be interested in the reasons for wanting to change and why others recomend an alternative
ATB

Chill, I shoot a Sako 75 Finnlight in 6.5x55 and before I started reloading I used 140gn Powershoks, RWS 140gn, and a few 156 gn Norma Oryx, all of which killed deer. I found the Powershoks and the Norma to be superior to the RWS in both accuracy and terminal performance on the deer.

Since starting reloading I have (mainly) used Hornady 129gn SST's, and have been more than happy with them. I find the SST's only need driving at modest speeds to achieve good expansion. I am about to flirt with some Barnes Triple-Shock X Bullets in 130gn, but only because I have been given some to play with. Thank you Neil!

I know the 140gn is supposed to be the best weight in the 6.5 according to the experts, but I could not resist having a play with something a little lighter, I have not succomed to the 120gn BT yet, although I know people who use them very effectively. Their bad press has scared me off. I am going to try the Lapua Mega at some time, but probably in my .308 first.

As said Chill, why do you want to change?

Simon.

In mine I have used the Speer 120 gr to good effect then when supplies were not forthcoming I switched to the Hornady 129 grain Interlock which I am using at the moment and have been for several years now. I did briefly try the 100 grn Nosler Ballistic Tip but it was to explosive for my liking. Excellnt on Fox if you don't want the pelts ;) .

Sierra part number 1730

140gr Spitzer Boat Tail Game Kings for 6.5mm tried and tested for many years. Spending more money won't give you a better.

Flytie, I have good success with the 120 grain tsx and I am
Going to try the 100 grain BT. I will start of with the minimum load and go from there.

I might try the 100 grain tipped TTSX.

but will be interested in the reasons for wanting to change and why others recomend an alternative
ATB
The reason i asked the question . i was talking to a experienced stalker ,who told me i should try different makes of bullet and weights . So really i was asking for forum members there opinions . Looking at them, it seems it all comes down to personal choice as they all will kill deer . I think i,ll stay with my original bullet choice.

Chill

ATB

I agree with `stone`.
If your existing load performs well and the gamedealer is happy with the state of the carcases he receives then why bother to waste bullets etc. testing someone elses loads which may NOT suit YOUR rifle.
I have never believed in changes unless I see material benefits gained.
My Tikka T3 Varminter uses the Hornady 140gr SP Ref. No. 2630 at the moment and whilst I am sure I could eventually find a `bug-hole`group at 77 I find a one-inch group at 100 yards totally fit for my purpose.
HWH.
BUGGYCROWS054.jpg

The reason i asked the question . i was talking to a experienced stalker ,who told me i should try different makes of bullet and weights . So really i was asking for forum members there opinions . Looking at them, it seems it all comes down to personal choice as they all will kill deer . I think i,ll stay with my original bullet choice.

Chill
Has your experienced stalker not heard of "If it ain`t broke don`t fix it"?
Why he should try and send you back to square one when you`re happy with what you have?
basil.

Chill
Fair comment
I can see a need to change if you are not happy with the performance or you think you may be able to get tighter groups & less recoil with a different bullet weight/choice and powder
but if you are getting good grouping with consistency and happy with your bullet perfomance and grassing deer effectively, then I don't really see a need to change
but Variety is the spice of life
good luck in your quest
be interested to hear more if that side does develope
ATB

Back